Greetings from Southern Saskatchewan

BAZINGA

• 1 month later...

Well just got word that my commissioned armor build has started.  It's been a couple months I guess since I did the deposit on it and I STILL am nervous about it all.  I've certainly enjoyed reading and seeing all the posts of all the troops people have been doing and it is hard to wrap my head around the idea that I might be doing the same very soon.  Weird.  Bart

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am not building my armor I won't have a building thread to share, but I thought I'd show you how I'm coming along in other areas.  The boots are a bit of a problem with sizing.  I really needed an 8.5 but that's not an option so they are a 9 and I haven't found a combination of insoles and socks that take out the heel slop when I walk.  I may need to see if there is something I can stuff in the toes that won't drive my toes crazy while fixing the heel.  They aren't comfortable as they are with the heel flopping up and down.

I have the fans and the icomm/amp from Ukswrath and TK Products respectively.  Must admit I had to play with the icomm.  "These aren't the droids we're looking for."  I can see the mic will require some fiddling once it gets in a helmet as it seems super sensitive in some positions and not so much in others.

The blaster I just opened up today even though I've had it for quite some time.  I just wanted to keep it safe through my busy Halloween building season.  It's from Quest Design.  I didn't do the "pew-pew" with it.  They are smaller than I pictured in my head and it's been 15 years since I've seen one in person so the memory of it was off I guess.  There is nice weight to it.  I'm not a "gun" guy in my day to day life so it does feel a bit strange to handle it.  Couldn't seem to hit anything with it at all though.

I have the undersuit, but still on the hunt for pants with the appropriate placed pocket.  I also picked up cotton gloves to wear under the rubber gloves, a balaclava and an MP3 player for the trooper chatter.

b3t6Jb7.jpg

I built a kit of tools and emergency stuff (not that I will have much clue on how to repair most thing) based on the recommendations here.  Other than very basic things I had to order most of the contents as they just were not available locally.  That is a frustrating part of where I live, but I did eventually obtain everything on the list plus a couple other things I through in just to keep it all in one place.

2LhxRRx.jpg

My armor is under construction by Mark at AP right now and Geeky Pink is doing up the neck seal and a harness for me as opposed to a belt which I think is the last of the items I will need.  I will, hopefully, be part of Badlands Garrison which is the same one as Geeky Pink is part of so that is cool (although she is no where near me).

I'm hoping to meet others from Badlands on the 26th this month when they are doing a membership drive/show-and-tell type event 3 hours from me.  I've met some of them in the past, but never as a potential recruit so that is different.

Shouldn't be too long now until I can start the final steps of the process.

Bart

I'm told that by next Friday or so my armor will be in my possession.  The question is, do I open the box Friday night when I get home from an exhausting work day or wait until the Saturday when I've had some sleep or try to auction it right away as it seems it can go for big bucks if handled properly!

It is arriving at least a month sooner than I had anticipated so it probably will still be a while until I can get help to get the fitting right and photos taken.  I had a vague date in January to meet up with another TK to help me out so likely more waiting (although I am sure I will have the helmet on my head right away).

Bart

Found out a couple days ago that I know someone else who is building a ANH Hero armor.  Unfortunately, they are still more than three hours away from me.  He's got mad skills when it comes to building anything.    Still would only be three of us where I am but one is an hour away.  Bart

Well I built my TK without seeing anyone, all the info was from this forum and feedback given, lots of people on here to offer guidance and support, just remember "it can be done"

Be great to catch up with other TK's but I've done a few troops alone, they can be just as rewarding :duim:

Being isolated does make it hard, hopefully you guys may be able to get together for a big event.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Well I built my TK without seeing anyone, all the info was from this forum and feedback given, lots of people on here to offer guidance and support, just remember "it can be done"

Be great to catch up with other TK's but I've done a few troops alone, they can be just as rewarding :duim:

Being isolated does make it hard, hopefully you guys may be able to get together for a big event.

I prefer not to be a solo act, but I unlocked the next level today and made contact with a TK IN MY CITY (so not the same one from a number of years ago that didn't want to show me anything) and she said she will bring over her kit when mine arrives and help me get fitted up!  That is a huge weight off my mind.  And, we're already chatting about what we can work on going forward now that their could be two of us locally.  That unlocks another level because I wanted to be all in for promotion and recruitment and trooping so looking like more fun hour by hour now!  Bart

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bartman said:

I prefer not to be a solo act, but I unlocked the next level today and made contact with a TK IN MY CITY (so not the same one from a number of years ago that didn't want to show me anything) and she said she will bring over her kit when mine arrives and help me get fitted up!  That is a huge weight off my mind.  And, we're already chatting about what we can work on going forward now that their could be two of us locally.  That unlocks another level because I wanted to be all in for promotion and recruitment and trooping so looking like more fun hour by hour now!  Bart

That's excellent news, great to have someone on hand that knows and sees how the armor should be worn. Looking forward to seeing some photos when you have your armor and have a get together :D