Do you always tell the truth?

TK-8224

I was in a store to buy some special velcro today, and the saleswoman asked me what it was for. I said it didn't matter, I just wanted a look at the velcro. She kept asking what it was for, because it could only be used for carpets! I kept saying it didn't matter, because I knew it would work. "Well, it's only for carpets!" was the reply I got. Again.

Why are people so curious of what we are making when we obviously don't want to say it? I often meet tons of questions and raised eyebrows when I tell people that I'm making armour, so I rarely do. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I don't know. :lol:

Am I the only one thinking it's a bit rude to almost refuse selling stuff when people won't say what it's for? :P

It comes across as rude to me. Why keep prying when your potential customer isn't willing to discuss what the merchandise is for? Seems like if you don't wanna discuss it, it's not their business. Talk about driving sales down! lol

I get a lot of funny looks when im in the material store, or model shop buying paint and stuff.

Model shop assistant; 'What do you need this paint for?'

Me; 'Im building a Darth Vader chestbox.'

Model shop assistant; Blank look...

I get a lot of funny looks when im in the material store, or model shop buying paint and stuff.

Model shop assistant; 'What do you need this paint for?'

Me; 'Im building a Darth Vader chestbox.'

Model shop assistant; Blank look...

Haha, that's why I never tell them!

Btw, I'm now officially a wandering carpet! :lol:

They know me well at my local Ace Hardware. I spend a lot of time in the plumbing and electrical aisles. I always tell them, blank looks or not, and promise to bring in whatever it is the bits are for when finished. They love my force pike, and that something that's cobbled together from hardware looks so cool. They're fascinated by the idea of a $20 lightsaber. :)

--Jonah

No one has really bothered my when I buy supplies for my armor. The only time I have been bugged about what the materials were for was when my GF and I went to pick out fabric for her Slave Leia.

No one has really bothered my when I buy supplies for my armor. The only time I have been bugged about what the materials were for was when my GF and I went to pick out fabric for her Slave Leia.

This is weird... I hit reply on a whim, even though I have not been able to sign in here for a while now... and it let me post!!! How vewy, vewy stwange!

Anyway, I usually try not to tell them if possible. I had been sort of bouncing between telling them or not, depending on what kind of "vibes" I got from the salesperson. Sometimes you can just tell if they're gonna say "cool" or if they're gonna say "uhhhhh ,,, huh ..."

My worst experience for that was when I was at Canadian Tire once and I was asking about fiberglass supplies. There was a fellow next in line at the counter and he asked me what I was planning to do with it. I said, "I'm going to make a Darth Vader helmet", and his reaction was like I had told him I was going to invite Howard Stern to his granddaughter's 4 yr birthday or something. His reaction was actually in the realm of distaste, not just confusion, but he actually came across like he was somehow put out by my hobby. I refrained from giving him a piece of my mind, to the effect that if you're going to imply an interest in what someone is doing you should at least have the decency to not treat the reply like it was offensive or something.

Ever since that day I always give a generalized answer, not a lie as such, but very general - something like, "I'm planning to make a casting from a silicone mold" or "I need to match a fabric colour to something I have at home" - which is what I said when asked why I was looking for a small swatch of red velvet. She didn't have to know I was hoping to match the colour of a red guard helmet. If they press me for a more specific answer I simply reply the way I did before, and if they continue to do so I tell them I can find what I'm looking for myself, thank you very much, have a nice day.

Or get some real ones!!!

I got shook down at Home Depot when I took the grip and barrel to but another piece of PVC to go inside it

I had a similar experience at Home Depot when I was part shopping for a lightsaber. I had it half constructed and we took it in the store with us, but it was in my wife's purse. We pulled it out while checking parts for proper fit and look and I noticed an associate following us around the store, she was even at the register when we checked out. When we left, they asked us what was in the purse. We pulled it out, showed them, and said "a lightsaber" They walked back in and nothing happened after that, but I wont ever shop at Home Depot again.

I tell people what I'm up to if they ask. A lot of people think it's cool.

dude most everyone I tell that I stormtroop laughs but others love it, Its good that we all know that thier is some childhood left in us but trust me fellow troopers dont be ashamed of what you do, be honest with people, let them laugh. because you know your happy doing what you do and we have a damn good time doing it. But just be honest and keep your head up

It's a bit drastic to get tattoos only to avoid comments when shopping. :lol:

hahahaha..its worked for years for me, why stop now. :ph34r:

dude most everyone I tell that I stormtroop laughs but others love it, Its good that we all know that thier is some childhood left in us but trust me fellow troopers dont be ashamed of what you do, be honest with people, let them laugh. because you know your happy doing what you do and we have a damn good time doing it. But just be honest and keep your head up

very true words brother,you gotta stay young at heart,,but if it comes down to it and i get asked i do tell them i am part of the Galactic Empire and if they wanna keep breathing than they better find me what im looking for. i would hate to come back with my squad, or even worse VADER. :vader1: :P

I have no trouble...

Being 6-1 in Japan helps...With Tattoos. :lol:

Any way, I just ordered a bunch of stuff from a hobby store here as well as a DIY store as well. I get the standard looks and I tell them its for Darth Vader or Stormtroopers all the time. It always starts a conversation about how I build and why I build these rigs.

Then we talk about the kids and the Famous people, and there hooked. Always a great conversation.

But then again, I am in Japan. Reading about people in the states getting shot and beat on Halloween really dosent inspire confidance.

Man, the US needs an overhaul. :(

Well I have done 2 different things...............if I don't want to say, and they act such as the associate not wanting to sell the velcro..............I turn look at them, and simply ask? Do you or do you not have it, and do you work on commission? If so I am happy to give the sale to another associate. Or ask for the manager :D

I have also said it's for 501st Legion TK Armor..................when they ask, I tell them it's a Star Wars Costuming group that raises monies for charity!

Ususally they are very interested, and ask questions.

And I'm not even official yet :blink:

I've only had one person asking me what I was doing. I told the woman that I was building a Halloween costume. I figured that would satisfy her curiosity but she snapped back with "Isn't it pretty early for Halloween?" I said "No. Halloween is a year round event at my house." That got me a weenie eyed smirk. Next time I get a nosy question I'm going to tell them it's for a sex toy. That's probably what they are thinking anyway. :)

WoodChuck here. over the years I have had several experiences with curious clerks. Now I just say, "Oh, I'm buying this to add it to my grumpleslixtedooger." If they persist, then I add, "Huh? Well yeah, it fits between the gorgledoing and flutersmuck." That's usually all it takes. I'm dead pan serious, like they are supposed to understand it all. Gets them off gaurd, wierd how people act.

WoodChuck here. over the years I have had several experiences with curious clerks. Now I just say, "Oh, I'm buying this to add it to my grumpleslixtedooger." If they persist, then I add, "Huh? Well yeah, it fits between the gorgledoing and flutersmuck." That's usually all it takes. I'm dead pan serious, like they are supposed to understand it all. Gets them off gaurd, wierd how people act.

Haha, good one! :lol:

hey Woodchuck, i hope you see this,if not i will PM you,,but i dropped my T-21 and chipped it up on a couple of parts,,now i am sad.. :( ,but i think it ,,wait..i know it can be fixed,,,its not to bad...sorry ,,not tryin to de-thread here

The last time i had this was at hobbycraft in Nottingham,

I was asking for sheets of 1 inch thick foam,

The customer service operative (or shelf stacker) asked me what i wanted it for,

My reply was 'to pad out the helmet on my stormtrooper armour',

No way was the reply,

We then spent nearly twenty minutes discussing stormtrooper armour,

(turns out they were a huge fan of star wars, and had seriously wanted a set of armour for years,

I scribbled down this website, and UKG,)

i left the shop knowing that we'd be seeing another new member on the boards shortly

I was in a store to buy some special velcro today, and the saleswoman asked me what it was for. I said it didn't matter, I just wanted a look at the velcro. She kept asking what it was for, because it could only be used for carpets! I kept saying it didn't matter, because I knew it would work. "Well, it's only for carpets!" was the reply I got. Again.

Why are people so curious of what we are making when we obviously don't want to say it? I often meet tons of questions and raised eyebrows when I tell people that I'm making armour, so I rarely do. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, I don't know. :lol:

Am I the only one thinking it's a bit rude to almost refuse selling stuff when people won't say what it's for? :P

It is very rude of the clerk and this is all about control issues. If you don't want to answer, then don't and don't let what other people say worry you.