Ironclaw

Forearms problem

Hi, about time I post something about my armor... I have postponed the building of my armor for a long time now due to work and general laziness. I've got several problems (which is one of the reasons why I havn't worked on it), most which I can solve with some effort. But there is ONE problem I can't figure out how to solve.

My FOREARMS...... they move upwards, squeezing my fingers half way inside when I try to reach my head :blink:. Not only that, I CAN'T reach my head without lots of effort, and when I do, it's just the tip of my fingers that can touch the helmet.

Took some pictures to demonstrate... :P

Aight, here's my arm showing how nicely it fits me

prb0pc3.jpg

Then if I move my arm up to my head (as close as I can get)... well, as you can see in the 4th picture, I'm not even all the way to the head yet, and still my fingers are stuck :(.

prbml2.jpg

Same example from another view :P. I have my arm straight horizontal...

prb7lh1.jpg

After is has been up, near my head, this is what it looks like when it's back down:

prb8fs7.jpg

And if I wear the biceps part, I can reach even less! This is the closest I can get (well, could get a little closer, but not much):

prb9zz1.jpg

I got my forearm maxed, which is a perfect fit, so no need to shim/extend them. If I make them tighter I can't get my whole arm through.

prb5kk9.jpg

And here's the bicep, also maxed, but will shim them to much bigger later.

prb6dk1.jpg

I thought maybe cutting a piece from the front (blue), but then it would just be too short of course and I would end up with a huge black space between the forearm and biceps pieces. Best bet would be to cut a bit like the red area, but don't know if it would be Elite acceptable, and wanted to see with you guys first if you know of any other solutions. I also thought of adding some flexible, thin, white rubber as replacement of the removed red area, if you know what I mean... but can't get my head around how to attach the rubber, not where to get some of the type I need.

prb11ii2.jpg

Thanks

we call that 'fashion before function'.

Not only that, I CAN'T reach my head without lots of effort, and when I do, it's just the tip of my fingers that can touch the helmet.

isnt that how it works?? :lol:

sorry, not much help tonight.

You'll have to bend your whole upper body down so that you can reach your head/helmet. Thats what I have to do anyways.

Don't remove material from the extremities to have a better flex .. you'll regret it later with all the black material showing! Take it from a 6'3" guy with a lot of black but still a pretty good fit in an AP.

About the problem with moving pieces .. I added foam inside the part to prevent it from moving .. Add over that the fact that you won't necessarily have huge movement to do that will make them fit.

Still, what I would suggest is to remove on the red line you draw .. just make sure to just remove in the inner part though, not the outside part like I said to preven showing extra black for nothing .. if you look at the movie, you'll see Luke is quite trimmed at this area too.

I would agree, cut in the red area, not the blue. A strap running from your bicep to your forearm should help keep it from sliding down too far down your arm. Or, if you have space at the wrist you could try some padding to prevent sliding.

Cut the red line first and give that a try. If it is still pinching, try cutting at the wrist but not how you have drawn the blue line. You want to cut it like the red line but the opposite way so the arch starts at the joining strips and curves up into you forearm and back to the opposite joining strip. Make this curve very slight to begin with and trim more if you need to.

Bigturc is right. Before you start cutting, I would try padding the inside with foam to secure it in place. Putting a 1 inch think strip on the inside of one or both pieces should hold it to you arm and still be forgiving enough to slide your arm inside the piece (after all...it is foam). Your arm will compress the piece and allow you to get it inside the armor and then create the necessary pressure and friction to hold it there when you move.

I bought the stuff I use at a local crafts store. Not sure what you have in your area but something like the link below might work. If you have a hard time finding new stuff, you could even tear up the inside of an old seat cushion.

http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html

Bigturc is right. Before you start cutting, I would try padding the inside with foam to secure it in place. Putting a 1 inch think strip on the inside of one or both pieces should hold it to you arm and still be forgiving enough to slide your arm inside the piece (after all...it is foam). Your arm will compress the piece and allow you to get it inside the armor and then create the necessary pressure and friction to hold it there when you move.

I bought the stuff I use at a local crafts store. Not sure what you have in your area but something like the link below might work. If you have a hard time finding new stuff, you could even tear up the inside of an old seat cushion.

http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html

kinda what i found out on mine too, just test fittin with nothing glued up yet. to stop it from sliding into your wrist, i will do this on mine, cut the inner elbow radius, the end you marked with red, a lil deeper in, so when arm is bent up, it doesnt slide into my wrists. i have to shim mine on the elbow end, my arms are bigger there. so mine will be glued outward facing, but velcro inner seam.

maybe the foam idea too.

Oh well, I'm left to no choice but to cut the red area. Because adding foam inside wont make it NOT slip down, and even if I made it so that it couldn't move at all, then I could not reach my helmet not even with my fingers. In its current state it HAS to move downwards or I will not be able to touch the helmet, and cutting the blue area wont do any good either.... only option IS the red area :(.

Posted here hoping someone would maybe have a better idea to solve it, but nope :). Red area it has to be.

It's not like it's little force making it go down, it's forced when trying to reach my helmet, so foam can't solve that... and bending my upper body and head forward makes little difference also...

so, before I do this:

Will this mod be Elite Acceptable? (should maybe have posted this in the elite forum)

Before you go cutting too much off, you have got the forearm strapped up to the bicep right?

I had a similar problem to yours and found the best way was to have the forearm strapped up close to the bicep so that the inner curve of the forearm was pulled up high into my inner elbow joint. This made the forarm peice slip under the bicep when I bent my arms and was a lot better. Maybe you can get away with only trimming a bit off the inner curve and pull the strap tighter between the forearm and bicep?

I would not cut anything until you have the arms fully straped with everything positioned.You are jumping the gun on this issue you have.

This is how my arms are straped

2292017173_1f778240d3_o.jpg

2292804998_7df92128fc_o.jpg

I would not cut anything until you have the arms fully straped with everything positioned.You are jumping the gun on this issue you have.

This is how my arms are straped

2292017173_1f778240d3_o.jpg

2292804998_7df92128fc_o.jpg

niiiice, i like that idea. think i will borrow that strap idea on mine too. still gonna have to shim the elbow end on mine alot, bigger arms, lol.

My FOREARMS...... they move upwards, squeezing my fingers half way inside when I try to reach my head :blink:. Not only that, I CAN'T reach my head without lots of effort, and when I do, it's just the tip of my fingers that can touch the helmet.

That is the same problem i had. i kinda ruined my forearm and bicept peices though. glued them up and they fit to tight though and i couldnt move around or reach my helmet and the pinches and marks my arms got. i pretty much tried ungluing them the wrong way and it cost me my arms and bicepts (FX armor that is). gonna find replacements and do it right next time.

Good luck on your improvements. :)

sorry if i didn't quote it right. still learning

yeah i was lookin myself for a nother set of FX biceps but cant find anyone with any to sell. i didnt shim mine the right way, they work but i want it right, and dont think i can get those apart to redo it.

so anyone that knows where i can get a spare set of biceps lemme know.