ANH Stunt, Rubber Gloves and the Heat of Summer

Zinfer

Alright this is starting to get gross and embarrassing.  My fingertips are doused in water and come out like a prune.  Waving is dangerous with all the sloshing going on and I'm afraid I may leak visible water when waving.  So, I've been told the answer is jogging gloves.  Now, is there a simple method to attach the armor portion via sewing or something?  I've seen elastic cuffs and I've also seen them fall off during a parade.  Need to fix this sloppy sweaty mess.

I use cotton inner gloves, they soak up the sweat and stop your fingers pruning, I use a couple of pairs through a troop, nice not to have to put soggy ones back on after a break.

gloves.jpg.6f0c1d348951223f7102a27db73425a0.jpg

Some use Nomex gloves and not the rubber gloves. From the DOThe Nomex type of gloves are 100% acceptable for Basic approval. but not for Expert Infantry and above,

image.png

• Like 5

I'll have to look for a supply of those cotton inner gloves maybe.  I probably should look into cloth gloves as I've heard after a while the rubber ones tend to rip.

3 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I'll have to look for a supply of those cotton inner gloves maybe.  I probably should look into cloth gloves as I've heard after a while the rubber ones tend to rip.

10 years of trooping I've only had one pair of rubber gloves rip, not sure about how others have fared. Just make sure the inner front ridges of your forearms are sanded and polished smooth ;) 

I’m with Glen on this one. The little cotton under gloves do an amazing job and can be washed before your next troop. This way, you still get to troop with accurate gloves.

Also, I’ve never had a pair rip either. I have a couple of different pairs and both are wearing really well. :-)

20-ish troops in rubber gloves and never a tear. Cotton liners is the way to go.

Plus if you did ever need new gloves the rubber ones are like $5. Easily the cheapest part of the whole kit.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 2:51 PM, Zinfer said:

Alright this is starting to get gross and embarrassing.  My fingertips are doused in water and come out like a prune.  Waving is dangerous with all the sloshing going on and I'm afraid I may leak visible water when waving.  So, I've been told the answer is jogging gloves.  Now, is there a simple method to attach the armor portion via sewing or something?  I've seen elastic cuffs and I've also seen them fall off during a parade.  Need to fix this sloppy sweaty mess.

I get the whole "troop as approved" vibe, but also... I want to be as comfortable as I can be while still effectively portraying the character I'm there to troop as. In my opinion, the general public neither knows nor cares that rubber gloves are 'accurate'... they're just stoked to see a real-life Stormtrooper! Props to the folks that make it work with liners and all, but I wear these as they are the thinnest, coolest black gloves I have been able to find. The long wrist cuff helps keep it tucked into your armor, the grip on the palm isn't noticeable, but helps you grip your blaster, and it's nice to be able to use a phone with the touchscreen reactive fingers to help guests take photos if needed! I've seen guys take the rubber gloves off and literally POUR out sweat, and that's not my vibe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY5G3ZC/

71KUlRzsV2L._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Typically on troops, my head and my hands are my two hottest parts (especially if there is a decent breeze, and followed by my lower back) so I obviously use fans in my bucket to help in that zone... and I use specific gloves to help with my hands. Ensure you remove the tags and connectors (easy, but possibly necessitating resewing the seam) and wash them first to ensure no leftover dye stains your armor, but I sure do like these gloves. The Nomex aren't terrible, but still pretty heavy, and I don't like (or need) the leather strip present on most. 

I use the ABS handguards supplied with my Anovos kit, but use a 1" elastic band around my palm, and then a thinner, 1/4" band around my wrist (admittedly a hair tie) to keep the plate snug when I bend my wrist. I'll snap some pics when I can, but just presenting another viewpoint. My rubber gloves and flexible handguards come out for photo sessions, but not for trooping in the Southern California sun...

• Like 1

Am 6.7.2022 um 00:06 schrieb Zinfer:

Cotton gloves are the best piece of advice I've ever gotten. Ten hours in 27°C, those inside my rubber gloves and not a single problem.

zKZJ19V.jpg

Rubber ones ripping... well, mine ripped during my 15th troop. And not just ripping, but straight up falling apart. I could only complete the troop by plastering the inside of my rubber gloves with tape and praying. Curiously, it wasn't because of the armor snagging, but instead all around the handhuards the rubber gloves were ripping apart (about 7-8 rips per glove). Might have been because of the way the handguards were glued, putting too much stress onto the rubber, might have been low quality gloves, who knows. I do know that I'll carry my ABS handguards and a pair of replacement rubber gloves to future troops.

• Like 1