Veclro under TK shoulder won't hold

In addition to the elastic strap, I am using industrial strength velcro to hold the back of the shoulder straps down (seems quite common.) The issue I am having is that because of the grooves in the straps, the velcro just doesn't have enough adhesion area, so it is peeling away.

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

I thought about putting down E6000 or JB Weld Puddy to let dry, then putting velcro on top of that just so it had a more flat surface.

Edited by revel911

• revel911 changed the title to Veclro under TK shoulder won't hold
2 hours ago, revel911 said:

In addition to the elastic strap, I am using industrial strength velcro to hold the back of the shoulder straps down (seems quite common.) The issue I am having is that because of the grooves in the straps, the velcro just doesn't have enough adhesion area, so it is peeling away.

Many of us reinforce our shoulder bridges with an additional strip of pre-bent ABS underneath (and copious amounts of E6000 to bond it). This adds strength at an extremely common fail point and gives the bottom a smooth surface that would likely velcro better... if it doesn't eliminate the need entirely - no velcro should be needed, just a little loop of elastic. 

iV1UlFN.jpg

Hope that helps!

10 hours ago, revel911 said:

I thought about putting down E6000 or JB Weld Puddy to let dry, then putting velcro on top of that just so it had a more flat surface.

Apart from adding a piece of plastic and gluing it place under your shoulder strap for strength you really shouldn't need any velcro to keep the straps down, there should be a small elastic strap over the back of the straps. You may also find a little heat is needed so the straps conform to the back plate once worn.

AK9w0mr.jpg?1     lbfFArU.jpg?1     FAKhPZ2.jpg?1

qb4YVKO.jpg?1

Yeah, Velcro really isn't doing the job and the e6000 wouldn't solidify under the plastic (even after a week), so going to try the elastic strap. Are people just using white hair bands?

5 hours ago, revel911 said:

Yeah, Velcro really isn't doing the job and the e6000 wouldn't solidify under the plastic (even after a week), so going to try the elastic strap. Are people just using white hair bands?

The standard elastic product for holding down the rear shoulders bridges as Glen showed in photos is simply 1/4" white elastic, found at any craft store or in the crafting section of other retailers (Walmart, etc.).