Wompet's R1 TK (850 Armorworks)

Wompet

9t14Z2V.jpg

Just getting the BBB picture out of the way. ;)

I had been thinking about getting a Rogue One kit after finishing up a couple of other works in progress, but some unplanned weight loss has made my ANH-S TK a little loose, and this kit came up for sale on the 501st boards, so ... 

Armor: 850 Armorworks

Helmet: 850, but I'll be doing a Black Series conversion (trust me, it will look better)

Boots: Imperial Boots

Gloves: Imperial Boots

Neck seal: Imperial Boots, but will be replaced with one that fits better ...

Undersuit: Still need to confirm

Blaster: Came with an Imperial Arms kit, but I have a @trooper96 kit I plan on using instead

I haven't done much with it yet.  It's already been rough trimmed, which is good - for the most part.  The original owner trimmed all of the teeth off of the front belt, so that required a replacement.

They also had the forearms and biceps completely glued, which required some disassembly and reassembly on my part to install the velcro.  And the shins ... well, see for yourself:

yxPuHHQ.jpg

c6lq7SV.jpg

At first I thought "Oh, both sets of shins open to the right - I'll have to fix that."  Then I realized that they had glued the inner shins together as one set, and the outer shins together as the other. :huh:

This has been fixed.

What else - the cover strips have been added to the biceps and forearms (sorry, no pictures at the moment).

I ordered shoulder straps from @BigJasoni's Etsy shop to replace the 850 ones, and bought a couple of ab closure kits as well (more on that later).

And one last set of photos from an armor party (my first attending) earlier this month:

1hZub0B.jpg

Ol0x91t.jpg

jh0Y2AX.jpg

A little ugly, but I was just getting a rough idea of where everything should sit.  Hopefully I won't have to trim anything off of the ab/kidney.

And one last thing for this first post - I would like to thank @11b30b4, @BigJasoni, @TheRascalKing, @TerribleBen, @Twelveravens, and @Imperial Valour .

The detail that you guys put into your build threads has already been a lot of help.

• Like 4

Gary, 

Glad to see you on the forum. I’m getting ready to hit the sack, so I’ll be quick. 
I spoke with Vincent at Imperial Boots a while back about their neck seal. They’ve started sending them out as a one size fits all item rather than offering several different sizes. The idea is that you’ll take it to a tailor to get adjusted. I was going to do a tutorial on resizing it, but I got rather busy. 
Regarding the undersuit, I can’t say enough good things about the full body suit from Imperial Boots; it’s phenomenal. However, like most ROTK undersuits, the ribbed knit fabric is hot. I also have a shirt and gaskets from the Darkside Closet which looks incredible, but again, you’re going to sweat a lot in it. Additionally, Mike has a rather long wait list, so if you want to get one, you should order it now.

In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a Jimmiroquai undersuit. The price is right, Jimi completes the work and ships quickly, and the fabric combination is a lot more suitable for hotter weather. 

Finally, regarding the helmet, I know I passed some info along while you were at the armor party, but if you have access to a 3d printer, I’d  really encourage you to print the Nico Henderson bucket. Ultimately, the amount of work you have to do to his helmet (filling, sanding, painting) is about the same as the Black Series modification, plus it’s a lot more accurate.
Anyways, I’ll be watching this build with great interest.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:08 AM, BigJasoni said:

In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a Jimmiroquai undersuit. The price is right, Jimi completes the work and ships quickly, and the fabric combination is a lot more suitable for hotter weather. 

Finally, regarding the helmet, I know I passed some info along while you were at the armor party, but if you have access to a 3d printer, I’d  really encourage you to print the Nico Henderson bucket. Ultimately, the amount of work you have to do to his helmet (filling, sanding, painting) is about the same as the Black Series modification, plus it’s a lot more accurate.
Anyways, I’ll be watching this build with great interest.

Jason, I would go for one of Jimi's undersuits, but for the life of me I can't seem to find his contact info anywhere - here, the 501st forums, RPF, Facebook - I'm having no luck.

As for the helmet - that's when Andy said "I'm tired of relaying information - talk to him yourself!" :laugh1:

So I didn't get the helmet info before.  If I had access to a 3D printer, I probably would print Nico's bucket.  But I don't, so for now the plan is the Black Series conversion.  If/when I get access to a printer, my priority is your redesigned belt boxes. ;)

1 hour ago, Wompet said:

Jason, I would go for one of Jimi's undersuits, but for the life of me I can't seem to find his contact info anywhere - here, the 501st forums, RPF, Facebook - I'm having no luck.

Facebook link 

Oh and other contact info in this thread ;) 

Darkside Closet is another good vendor but you will have to wait currently @ 6 months if not longer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Darkside Closet is another good vendor but you will have to wait currently @ 6 months if not longer

And honestly, I don't know if Mike puts the TKs in the same bucket as Mando builds, but his current flight suit wait is a year. The best thing you can do is just reach out. Two years ago when he wasn't nearly as busy as he is now, it took about 5 months for me to get mine.

2 hours ago, Wompet said:

Hit me up on Facebook Messenger if you want Jim's ROTK order form. I sent you his email info; he responds fairly quick.

2 hours ago, Wompet said:

As for the helmet - that's when Andy said "I'm tired of relaying information - talk to him yourself!" :laugh1:

I knew he was getting annoyed. Lol. Regardless, don't get the wrong impression about the helmet. You can get the 850 bucket approved, there's just a few things that should be addressed. I know Andy said you had plans of eventually submitting for EIB and Centurion. However, if you do go the Black Series conversion route, @TerribleBen was recently approved in both the BS helmet and an 850 kit. If you haven't checked out his thread yet, it's here: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48870-terriblebens-r1tk-adventure/

Keep in mind when you're doing the helmet conversion, regardless of what many of us have done previously, per the CRL, you're not required to cut out the stripes on the tears and traps. The CRL simply says "engraved," and a nicely painted engraved trap looks way better in my opinion. Trust me on this one, you don't want to cut those stupid little stripes out. I've done it on two 3d printed helmets and a black series. The tubes and "teeth" are pretty easy, but the others will make you cry. This is one of the reasons I like Nico's helmet:

EHN0liS.jpg

I think we discussed the belt briefly, but you're going to have to get a little creative with the 850 kit. You should have been supplied with some extra strips of ABS, but if I remember correctly, you'll still have to cut your own tabs which is easy to mess up. Just remember, curved surfaces measure different than flat surfaces.

I'll definitely be watching your build closely.

• Like 1

Good luck and have fun!!!!   I went with Darkside for the under shirt. It did take awhile to get it but I like the fit and the neck seal is attached. I didn't use the belt or boxes that came with the 850 kit. The belt material in the kit wasn't tall enough to get the belt teeth right. I used the old heat and bend over a pot technique. It worked great. Jason is correct about the measurement. Bend the belt then mark your teeth against the abdomen. For me it was the only say to get it right!  

• Like 1