Butt Plate Crack

TK Monkus

My first crack! I noticed a crack on the top of my butt plate. Pretty sure it is from when I sat down trying to take a picture. My plan is to sand the inside and then score across to make a "T" as I have seen in a couple other threads. Then I think I am going to glue a small piece of ABS to the inside and ABS paste the outside. Once dry I'll sand it down but it will mostly be covered by the bottom of the kidney. Does that all sound like it will work or is there a better way? I saw something about t-shirt fabric and super glue? (in the pic I am pulling it open a bit to give an idea of size, it sits pretty flush)

ZAA4LTo.jpg

Thanks,

M

Cracks are not that unusual, and it looks like you caught it before it extended into the outside.  I would suggest cutting the ABS shim longer than needed.  That way you will have more of a surface for the glue to adhere to and keep it from worsening.  I  would also recommend sanding down/cleaning the area first before gluing and then clamping it.  Some have used CA glue for this type of repair, but I would (pardon the pun) stick with E-6000.  The reason being is that it is not a perfectly flat surface, and the glue will fill any voids.   It's a pretty clean split, so I honestly don't think you need to add ABS paste as it will probably not be noticeable and may be covered by your TD.

5acCH8Y.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Cracks are not that unusual, and it looks like you caught it before it extended into the outside.  I would suggest cutting the ABS shim longer than needed.  That way you will have more of a surface for the glue to adhere to and keep it from worsening.  I  would also recommend sanding down/cleaning the area first before gluing and then clamping it.  Some have used CA glue for this type of repair, but I would (pardon the pun) stick with E-6000.  The reason being is that it is not a perfectly flat surface, and the glue will fill any voids.   It's a pretty clean split, so I honestly don't think you need to add ABS paste as it will probably not be noticeable and may be covered by your TD.

5acCH8Y.jpg

Thanks Joseph, will do. I was planning to use E-6000 so good to know that will kind of replace the ABS paste. I will post up a pic of the completed once it's dry.

Thanks,

I found it's better to use a permanent glue, E6000 still has some flex and the crack can open again. A 2 pack permanent glue or JB weld has worked for me as I've tried both. Also make sure you rough up both areas with coarse sandpaper so it gives the glue something to grip to.

• Like 1