Sithping ANH TK Build (RS)

Sithping

Hi Troopers! Thank goodness it's the weekend and i can hopefully continue my armour build. 
I managed to get a stand to aid my build and it really helps me to see the armour elevated to around my height.
I'm using my helmet i built during the first lockdown in 2020 it's an RS kit, though i will be constructing a second lid i recieved with my armour.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
jqjioMv.jpg

Saw this photo on Instagram. Looks SUPERB displayed like that.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Saw this photo on Instagram. Looks SUPERB displayed like that. emoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji16.png

Thanks Dan! I've gave you a follow I love your stormtrooper builds:jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Hi guys, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with what to do with my rear calf closures. The reason being i don't think the elastic hook system will suffice at lining up the tops of the RS calf, would a velcro closure be better for the alignment, any recommendations or suggestions would be of great help??

In addition to mobility cuts is this why most calfs are trimmed out here cause the armour doesn't meet on the RS parts?

On 5/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, Sithping said:

Hi guys, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with what to do with my rear calf closures. The reason being i don't think the elastic hook system will suffice at lining up the tops of the RS calf, would a velcro closure be better for the alignment, any recommendations or suggestions would be of great help??

In addition to mobility cuts is this why most calfs are trimmed out here cause the armour doesn't meet on the RS parts?

JUST MY OPINION, but to me the elastic and bra hooks are nonsense and only worth your time if you're going for a fully screen-accurate static display. It's clear even in the movies that they don't actually work to align or hold the shins together effectively, so most of us use Velcro instead.

Personally, I use a 1" strip of fuzzy (loop) side velcro on the outside, under the coverstrip, and then I trim a strip to about 1/2-3/4" of industrial (hook) side for the inner half. You always want your hook side facing away from your body when possible. The industrial holds well, but I wouldn't recommend using full industrial because it does put a lot of strain on the armor when detaching it if you're not careful.

Mobility cuts are a huge help, especially if you're a little on the shorter side, but I've done them to all of my kits just for extra comfort and range of motion, as they are fully canon to have, and do help make misalignments less noticeable as well. Anovos doesn't line up by default either. Just ensure your cuts don't leave the 'ridge' and have been sanded super smooth. Good luck!

• Like 2

Hiya,

You could go for what I call the “hybrid method”. This uses Velcro at the top and middle positions, but uses elastic and Velcro at the lower point (near the boot). This gives some flex at the heel.

It’s easier to see it than explain, so here’s me chatting about it.

Regarding the bra hooks, I have to disagree with them being “nonsense” (sorry Rascal). Although the RS shins/calves don’t align very well at the back, many kits do line up well and the bra hooks are fine for that. They give flexibility, especially around the ankle.

Hope this helps. :-)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sithping said:

I found I had to apply a little heat to the calves to give them a small twist, now this is not without danger and you would need to practice on other ABS plastic, many use a hot water bath but I use a heat gun but with caution you can go from slightly moving to molten mess.

Some shin issue threads

YqoEdA9.jpg

Cricket used a magnetic closure, I've seen a few do this

Cricket also did some hot water bath adjustments to the armor, you may pick up some tips

References for mobility cuts 

• Like 4

I got a little work done on both calfs this evening, bit of trimming with the shears and fitting the rear coverstrips.

I'm going with the velcro closures it seems to give a secure fit.

0gyx0pT.jpg

q2MdZ7w.jpg

• Like 3

Had a busy weekend and put some hours in on my armour build, thanks again for supplying me with lots of info to carry this forward.

Continued with shin rear closures, some trimming and elastics fitted to thighs and a quick suit up for test fitting.

Also non build related i enjoyed coverage of Celebration Anaheim via all Social media outlets and thrilled to watch the first 2 episodes of Kenobi.

Oh! And Happy 25th anniversary 501st Legion!:salute:

I was detained by the ISG garrison today at a local charity event for failing to produce my chain code:)

sFg1uTl.jpg

o7ZwcPh.jpg

6noKASy.jpg

fKQ4k0D.jpg

IVCMZNo.jpg

2ceGnp5.jpg

qgvPF7f.jpg

EGOgJ7U.jpg

• Like 3

Coming along great, Paul!  Excellent job on aligning the thigh/calf cover strips, and the shoulder bell/strap gaps are spot-on. 

HEaJaUK.jpg    pgR7e0d.jpg

I know you had some concern about the calves, but it looks like you conquered them in grand style!  It may be the angle of the photo, but in looking at the rear it appears that the outside half of the left one may be a bit long.  Note below how the outside top sits higher and the bottom sits lower.  If this is the case, I would suggest lining up the tops and then trimming the bottom as seen in the second pic.  SUPER easy fix!

tLI6RLc.jpg     MaBNqqs.jpg

One other quick thing is that you could raise the ABS belt a bit: ;)

rqUo8X4.jpg?1  Nvimd6R.jpg?1  N8trEfM.jpg?1

You have done an awesome job on this armor, sir, and I genuinely hope to see you apply for Expert Infantry (and then Centurion) once you get Basic approval.  Keep up the great work, and keep those photos rolling in!  

P.S., if you need bail money for the chain code charge we could do a whip-round. :P

• Like 1

Really appreciate the feedback Joseph!

All noted thank you!

Oh, and the ISG went easy on me this time once they discovered my allegiance is to the Empire, no bail money this time :jc_doublethumbup:

The TD turned out great, Paul!  Quick question:

In the previous photos the ab button plates look as if they were attached, and yet in the recent one they look like they are missing.  ?  

If you have in fact not attached them yet, I would recommend painting them before gluing them on,  The reason being is that it's much easier to spin them around and such when they are not a permanent part of the larger ab plate.

Being really really picky and I doubt it will be picked up by your GML but if you check the level of the control panel it's a little on an angle, you can also notice this looking at the ribbed section of the panel.

Great work though, some nice gaps between the endcaps and control panel, most miss this :duim:

o2qDcEp.jpg.75f64c9a0b41f3f501c639649c9934c2.jpg

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

The TD turned out great, Paul!  Quick question:

In the previous photos the ab button plates look as if they were attached, and yet in the recent one they look like they are missing.  ?  

If you have in fact not attached them yet, I would recommend painting them before gluing them on,  The reason being is that it's much easier to spin them around and such when they are not a permanent part of the larger ab plate.

That's good observations and advice, in the previous photo the ab plates are held on with blutac (museum putty)

After assembling the TD I trimmed some more off the ab plates and glued them in place, I've not taken a picture yet or painted them, I know it might be a bit trickier to paint now , but sometimes I think I get impatient and make things hard for myself, I wasn't particularly looking forward to painting and decided the progression would be beneficial. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Being really really picky and I doubt it will be picked up by your GML but if you check the level of the control panel it's a little on an angle, you can also notice this looking at the ribbed section of the panel.

Great work though, some nice gaps between the endcaps and control panel, most miss this :duim:

o2qDcEp.jpg.75f64c9a0b41f3f501c639649c9934c2.jpg

Ah I see what you mean, I was primarily focused on the evenness between the end caps and panels.

Thanks for the feedback Glen you have well trained eyes for details :)

• Like 1

A missing piece arrived from RSpropmasters today, the right bicep!

The build continues...trimming first, fitting, cutting, sanding, some more fitting and gluing.:)

0ZST85g.jpg

4VxiJ9y.jpg

• Like 1

When you get to ab button painting, Paul, I would suggest not taking it too low.  The reason I say this is that with the quality and attention to detail you have shown if (make that when) you apply for Centurion it needs to have a small gap between the paint and the bottom of the raised part.  This applies to the small 4 button panel as well ;).

ScMU0T6.jpg       QRCk3I7.jpg?1  

NICE job on trimming those plates!  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Well, today i got a day off work as it's the Queens 70th Platinum Jubilee here in the UK. So I put that spare time to good use and assembled my right bicep, also decided to cut out my left bicep as i felt it was too loose, it's now more tailored to my needs.

In the RS prop youtube tutorials they suggest attaching the bicep to the shoulder bell with white tape and another option with attaching elastic, is there any prefernces on which method to use?

That's all for today, next i plan to do the elastics on the arms.

iNSSS6B.jpg

PXaG7kl.jpg

sPVyieW.jpg

zUmJ72L.jpg

S1EOJ1l.jpg

pjgxras.jpg

bKOtDIK.jpg

qgiqqgd.jpg

• Like 1

Elastic and snaps are usually what are used, the elastic has some give so your arms can move a little more freely.

I do prefer using double snaps, great to have a spare if one fails, but many find one enough

ib7WUYF.jpg

5MSb8Mu.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Elastic and snaps are usually what are used, the elastic has some give so your arms can move a little more freely.

I do prefer using double snaps, great to have a spare if one fails, but many find one enough

ib7WUYF.jpg

5MSb8Mu.jpg

Wow! What are the cool little hooks hanging onto the shoulder bell elastics? I mean I know there purpose, but as Nute Gunray said to Palpatine "is this legal":)?

1 hour ago, Sithping said:

Wow! What are the cool little hooks hanging onto the shoulder bell elastics? I mean I know there purpose, but as Nute Gunray said to Palpatine "is this legal":)?

Yes legal, Han wears them, called bicep hooks, helps to keep your bells at correct height and pulled into the shoulder bell.

3352338836_b716fcc43b_b.jpg

• Like 1