IMPERIAL CRATES, WHAT WERE THEY ORIGINALLY?

Sn4k3

Only info I could find:

The crates were presumably mostly found items and not constructed for the film. The cubes with the grooved sides and round holes on each face, for example, were made of vacuformed plastic, but nobody knows what for. A British company called RS Prop Masters, which makes stormtrooper costumes, says they found one but don't know what they were made for either. Two of these cubes were put together and painted blue to create the carrying case used by the Death Star scanning crew in Docking Bay 327.

cubular-crates.jpg

Oddly, for a working bay used to capture and detain potential miscreants, the set is filled with an assortment of barrels and crates, many of which are out in the open where ships will land. This was probably in part to make the set look busier and real, but also because a cluster of narrow barrels was used to conceal the metal rod used to prop up the Falcon set.

droid-barrels.jpg

The majority of the crates and barrels were probably regular commercial products in common use at the time. Many seem to be large plastic barrels for shipping industrial products or agricultural supplies or whatever, but painted to make them a bit more interesting.

From: https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/part-iic-the-docking-bays

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sn4k3 said:

Veri interesting info! I did not know that!.

And judging by the text you posted, I'm guessing there's no measurements of those props.
No way to make a screen accurate replica

No measurements unfortunately, you may be able to speak with RS Prop's, they may still have the box they found.

There are a few builds around

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/another-drop-of-cargo-star-wars-storage-boxes.244583/

http://r5-d4astromechdroid.blogspot.com/p/scanner-crew-transmitter-storage-box.html?m=1

Lots of 3D files out there, here's one

Imperial-Crate-M3-1-12.jpg

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/star-wars-imperial-crate-3-2-parts

Paint on top reference

scancrew-jpg.711640

Lid off in this image

technic-jpg.378667

Some interesting crates and barrels for references 

• Like 2

Rs props had a genuine crate , although they never discovered what it originally was , it had holes in the  sides, and maybe childrens school playground equipment was considered .

Unfortunately a mould wasn’t taken , and it was lost in the fire of 2021. 

technic-jpg.378667

Look at the crates compared to the people carrying them. Specifically the width of one square segment vs the guy's thigh side profile. That gives a rough, yet close estimate of the total crate size.

Both imperials are of medium build. So... 8 to 9" for a thigh side profile? That would give about 9" per square with about 1" spacing and 2" between the two linked cubes. Total of perhaps 42" long, 20" deep, and 20" tall?  10% margin of error?  I'd bet those measurements would create a prop that's near the right size and with the right paint and weathering would be instantly recognizable.

• Like 4

technic-jpg.378667

Look at the crates compared to the people carrying them. Specifically the width of one square segment vs the guy's thigh side profile. That gives a rough, yet close estimate of the total crate size.

Both imperials are of medium build. So... 8 to 9" for a thigh side profile? That would give about 9" per square with about 1" spacing and 2" between the two linked cubes. Total of perhaps 42" long, 20" deep, and 20" tall?  10% margin of error?  I'd bet those measurements would create a prop that's near the right size and with the right paint and weathering would be instantly recognizable.
I think the cubes are perfect cubes, same size all sides, ill try to recreate one with those measurements

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...