Newbs in public

Roundarmor

Not nude, but NEWBS, 

I think or would like to believe that we all would love to be part of the 501st and receive our coveted TK number. But what does the community think about new guys who celebrate brown box day by wanting to wear that new sports car up to the local comic shop. Is this frowned upon by the community?  It’s easy as a new trooper to make a simple stupid mistake, paying for that mistake is not so simple. Just trying to understand what is accepted and what is frowned upon by my new found community. Your input into this subject would be very appreciated. Thank you. TK no number

Hello and welcome, with the relationship with LFL/Disney we can not appear at retail locations unless invited by themselves or at specific times of the year.

More info on joining the legion:

Trooper survival guide (501st legion) https://databank.501st.com/databank/TrooperSurvivalGuide

This thread is full of info for the newbie

By all means, start a build thread, post some BBB images and away you go

Tip for posting photos

Build thread area

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/31-costuming-and-builds-original-trilogy-and-anthology501st-approved/

Also check in with your local garrison as some rules can change from garrison to garrison, you may also find there may be armor building days which can be very helpful for the newbie

Good luck 

NOTE: Moved to Off Topic area ;) 

• Like 1

Well it is frowned upon a little because we mostly can't, but as a non member you can do what you like although I would check with the store first, sometimes Stormtroopers can get stopped by the authorities 

• Like 1

Wow. I guess showing up at random location to show off that new armor might not be such a good idea after all. Never imagined getting arrested for wearing a plastic costume. That’s crazy. Good to know from a new guy perspective though. 
“ with great power comes great responsibility “ spider man

i think I’ll just stay in my lane and hang out with my garrison buddy’s. 

8 minutes ago, Roundarmor said:

Wow. I guess showing up at random location to show off that new armor might not be such a good idea after all. Never imagined getting arrested for wearing a plastic costume. That’s crazy. Good to know from a new guy perspective though. 
“ with great power comes great responsibility “ spider man

i think I’ll just stay in my lane and hang out with my garrison buddy’s. 

It wasn't so much the costume as it was the blaster... people get nervous when they see a gun. Go figure.

I wore my costume in non-501st situations (all within the last two years due to Covid peeing on my trooping parade).  It was never for promotional purposes and, more importantly, I never mentioned the 501st or did anything that would make people think I was affiliated with the 501st...  well...  aside from being in a sweet stormtrooper costume.    

But yeah, when in doubt, stick with your garrison buddies and follow their lead.

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, Chris!  The good thing about getting your armor approved by the Legion is that you will have access to all the events ("troops") in your area.  You simply sign up for the ones you want to attend, and you will be in the company of fellow TKs (and usually all sorts of other SW characters).  This makes things all the more fun, and you will get to meet like-minded folks and make new friends who share in our hobby.

As others have said, I personally don't suggest wearing your armor in public unless you are with a group of others who are doing the same.  Comicons are the exception, of course.  Plus, when you are on an official troop, you will have the benefit of "handlers".  I have more information on that in my thread here which may help.

Don't be a stranger, and always feel free to contact us with any questions you may have at any time (no matter how small).  We are a very friendly bunch of folks are here to assist you in any way we can!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks. Apologies if this message is in the wrong spot as this site is quite overwhelming for a first timer like me. Basically, I'm a 6'1" tall dad who's looking to fulfill a dream of owning an authentic looking original stormtrooper costume with blaster. I'm not looking to spend 6-months figuring out how to make it from scratch by myself but rather find a reputable dealer - ideally close to where I live in Toronto, Canada - who can ensure it fits properly (as I've never worn one so have no idea how it "should" fit) and open to suggestions.

I saw the "avoid" list but couldn't find a "suggested good vendor" list anywhere.

If someone could please let me know where to start that would be awesome! Thanks!!!

7 minutes ago, davidgilbert said:

I saw the "avoid" list but couldn't find a "suggested good vendor" list anywhere.

If someone could please let me know where to start that would be awesome! Thanks!!!

Hi David, and welcome to FISD! You're absolutely right that there is an abundance of information here, but also lots of people to help you along on your journey. First up below is a link to the vetted sellers list, quite a few of whom are in North America, and a couple actually in Canada.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Here are a couple more links to threads which document items you'll need for your build. Are you hoping to purchase a commissioned suit then?

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-ot-tk-build/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/47307-list-of-soft-parts-for-your-ot-tk-build/

And finally, here is an all-in-one, of sorts, thread which includes much of what you'd need to know to build your own kit.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Feel free to introduce yourself in the New Member Introduction forum:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/5-new-member-introductions/

We all look forward to following along on your journey to become a TK! -Caleb

23 minutes ago, davidgilbert said:

find a reputable dealer - ideally close to where I live in Toronto, Canada - who can ensure it fits properly (as I've never worn one so have no idea how it "should" fit) and open to suggestions.

I highly suggest contacting Mark at Authentic Props (AP) who's also in Canada. My own armor came from him and it's absolutely fantastic. While I did get a kit instead of ready-to-wear, I believe Mark will trim and build a kit to order. He's on the list that Caleb posted right above.

I also recommend Quest Design in Canada for your blaster needs. Outstanding quality. They have a website and also sell on etsy.