Advice for TK armor airsoft compatibility

Hello everyone. It is a dream of mine to purchase a set of TK ANH armour from a USA based craftsman known as Dave's darkside depot/armor master, and play airsoft in full TK stormtrooper kit.

I am already fully aware of the negatives of playing with a set of TK armor. Limited vision, terrible ventilation, terrible camoflauge, discomfort while wearing, little to no sound muffling due to clanking plastic, and the list goes on.

But I say that doesn't matter when you look that cool.

My only issue, if any, is im wondering if the TK armour will hold up to airsoft at all. Will the bb's put dents and holes in the plastic? Will the bb's cause serious damage to my armour?
If so, could it be repaired, filled in or would it be a waste of time and money?

On the more technical side.. 

I have spent alot of time researching this subject. The craftsman himsel has told me in text, that the helmet and armour should be able to "withstand BB impacts with ease." As much as I'd love to take his word for it, I want to consult other members of the 501st and general costuming who have experience with this. The armour kit he sells is made from 2mm ABS plastic, which I'm sure as you are aware it is renowned well for its impact resistance capabilities and density, relative toughness etc.

Compared to other plastics such as HIPS, the ABS should fare better. I had the opportunity to speak with an airsofter that had a kit made out of "EVA foam and surecoat", I'm not entirely sure what that even is. He told me he had a bad experience with 1mm RATGS (could not find this plastic online) with airsoft, however the armour maker makes 2- 2.5 mm thick ABS plastic, which I'm hoping would perform better. Upon looking into it vis google search, a source had mentioned that the ABS plastic is renowned for its impact resistance. The tensile strength of ABS according to a study was around 6x greater than that of hips (which I believe the original suits were made from, correct me if I'm wrong, this point is to backup confidence in ABS for airsoft) He says it would, but what do you guys think?

If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this subject, let me know. I'd love to troop, and to play airsoft with my armour, but I dont want to blow my money on something that will get destroyed in a single game. 

Side note: seen and heard rubies armour stands up great to airsoft, but you'd have to kill me before I don the Frankenstein beast that is "rubies supreme edition stormtrooper armour."

Okay, glad that you're already aware that everything about this is a bad idea, except that it will definitely look cool... so with that being stated clearly:

If you were going to go with any armor maker to do this, AM is the way to go, as they are one of the thicker and stronger kits available. Since they utilize metal molds and industrial machines when pulling their plastic, they can go a little thicker than most and still capture excellent detail. Definitely more accurate than a Rubies kit. 

As far as damage to the suit, if you do anything other than stand around and take photos in it, you're probably going to damage the armor. The original armor was literally thrown in the trash after stunt filming, so usually we take great care NOT to be doing the exact type of running/dodging/etc typically found in airsoft or stunt work. Be aware it is very difficult to lean, kneel, or crouch, and sitting is usually off limits as well except under certain conditions. The 'correct' chelsea boots are also not terribly comfortable and don't have good grip for running. Heck, if someone bumps into you hard enough or you fall down, you're going to have a bad time. Repairs are possible for small cracks, but a large crack could destroy a piece. I can't see this being a regular thing, but it'd be a fun $1500 gimmick for a few rounds.

You'll undoubtedly want to make some mods to increase mobility (almost more akin to those Boogie Storm clowns), but I'm sure the kit could be cut to some type of compromise between some level of comfort and still looking like a stormtrooper. As far as the impact resistance... There ARE thinner spots that might not take a direct hit from close range, but in general, BBs should bounce off and be fine with some scuffs or dents at close range (there ARE still several gaps in the suit under which a thin compression suit is typically worn, so that might still hurt). The BBs aren't going to be your problem, it's going to be the terrain you're interacting with and your mobility/vision. 

EVA foam could be a good alternative for comfort, but wouldn't look as good. That's been done before with interesting results...

So idk, there are some thoughts on that and I guess an endorsement for Dave, but yea... I would never invest the money to do this, but would love to see you do it if you're dead set! Post pics/video hahaha

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Besides what Justin said in terms of an expensive suit to be worn at airsoft outings and mobility issues, one of the first things I also thought of was eye protection. I’m not sure what airsoft goggle standards are, but you definitely want to take care of your eyes. But I do think the bbs would simply bounce off armor.

Also, I’m curious if Dave has an armor kit ready for you, or is expecting to in the near future, as he recently told me he was out of ABS sheets. I’m currently looking for a non-assembled AM thermal detonator kit. (I’ll buy yours if you decide you don’t want it falling off your belt while playing airsoft. Lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Besides what Justin said in terms of an expensive suit to be worn at airsoft outings and mobility issues, one of the first things I also thought of was eye protection. 

Also a valid concern - I'd ensure you have the thickest visor possible, and even then...

Also, I’m curious if Dave has an armor kit ready for you, or is expecting to in the near future, as he recently told me he was out of ABS sheets.

Is Dave actually pulling them these days? For some reason I thought he was just distributing for them, but AM has always been a little hushhush...

I’m currently looking for a non-assembled AM thermal detonator kit.

He's one of the few US makers that uses the correct size gray tube, but be aware that his white ABS won't match anything else - it's BRIGHT white, just fyi.

4 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Is Dave actually pulling them these days? For some reason I thought he was just distributing for them, but AM has always been a little hushhush...

He's one of the few US makers that uses the correct size gray tube, but be aware that his white ABS won't match anything else - it's BRIGHT white, just fyi.

It's certainly possible I don't fully understand Dave's operation, so I don't suppose I really know if he does the pulls himself. I do have an older assembled AM TD from Joseph that seems to match my ATA armor in color, but I suspect it pre-dates Dave's involvement, and I have no way to know if the ABS color has changed since then. I do also have a TD from MonCal/FAC that is properly sized, but way different in color; I've considered color-matching and spray painting it.

Sorry to derail your original topic, Jacob. I'd certainly love to keep up with what you decide and perhaps see some action photos. In my opinion, paintball would be even more interesting to see, particularly if your armor becomes a white ABS canvas. :laugh1:

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, TheRascalKing said:

I speak with Dave on a regular basis, and he has had issues sourcing ABS.  At first he was an agent for AM, but he ended up purchasing the whole operation from Dale (the original owner) years ago and pulls everything himself.  I've heard nothing but 100% positive comments on both his communication and armor.

On 3/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

It's certainly possible I don't fully understand Dave's operation, so I don't suppose I really know if he does the pulls himself.

Yep.. all by his own hand.  He does a lot of commission builds as well.

• Like 1

I'm willing to put an airsoft BB into my 2mm ABS TM if that helps.

Just remember to not use the accurate but flimsy acetate for your eyes on the helmet.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:59 AM, justjoseph63 said:

I speak with Dave on a regular basis, and he has had issues sourcing ABS.  At first he was an agent for AM, but he ended up purchasing the whole operation from Dale (the original owner) years ago and pulls everything himself.  I've heard nothing but 100% positive comments on both his communication and armor.

Yep.. all by his own hand.  He does a lot of commission builds as well.

Thanks for this note, Joseph! I was just telling Justin the other day that I love learning about the history for various armors and makers; very interesting stuff! And I agree about Dave's communication--always very good with me. The OCD in me is looking for slightly wider TD end caps than the ones I got from you. =)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread,  we've got a Star Wars LARP event going on this October in Bolivar, Missouri which uses airsoft for the combat,  and this thread came up.  We've got a lot of guys planning on coming in armor to pew pew for two days.  Mostly Mudtroopers and Mandos.

The leader of the event, Chris Schulz, posted his testing results showing how well ABS can take an airsoft hit:

I too have blasted my 1/16" Vac formed ABS.  Used my m133 on sport mode for 1 second (50 rounds) point blank @1.4j w/.32s. Had a little paint come (barely worth noting) off but no damage to the armor itself.

We also recommend stronger eye lenses, full seal ANSI Z87 rated material such as welding lenses is required. 

Feel free to join the Discord channel if you're interested in learning more!

https://discord.gg/FKzN2HMz8C

Edited by Kievan Mereel
Eye protection
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Kievan Mereel said:

Resurrecting this thread,  we've got a Star Wars LARP event going on this October in Bolivar, Missouri which uses airsoft for the combat,  and this thread came up.  We've got a lot of guys planning on coming in armor to pew pew for two days.  Mostly Mudtroopers and Mandos.

I'd love to see footage of this come October! Too bad we don't have TKs playing paintball (though they may finish fully white anyway). :laugh1:

• 2 months later...