Nick´s ANH Stunt TK | Centurion Build WIP

24 minutes ago, Nick the Trooper said:

I´m just a bit confused on how to cut the the extra material on the back.

Looking good Nick. You can trim the cover strips following the two halves line or either straight 

2B0c2H5.jpg

Bu3v50K.jpg

More references

gmGr36g.jpg    SUYH5Gv.jpg?1

CCvr1ZM.jpg   AwPhsDS.jpg?1

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

You’ll probably end up with something like this:

20bb1a93ff7cc8533b26ef6db35a2d16.png

6095b6e273a961831560c8432d9f2243.jpg

If you have photos from a few feet back, that would be really useful to help with suggestions. :-)

As you are aiming high, I thought I’d mention that almost all ANH coverstrips have small, 45° corners. I’ve put some examples below. Ideally, you’d cut these before you glue the cover-strips down.

643eadf6165c6ad3a1efd9185d643728.jpg

39295e351b08990498c8f9e266f0a950.png

c3ba76dc99f2b4d6ff548c166fe91ec5.png

• Like 1

I ended up having to cut the corners after gluing cover strips down on several of my pieces. A straight razor blade works extremely well. It's small enough that you can't really apply a ton of force, so you can easily get the angles cut without harming (or sometimes even touching) the armor beneath.

• Like 2

Hey there!

Mr CableGuy asked for pictures from a few feet away so I hope this will help. Note the left one is currently drying so tomorrow there will be more. 

I6ae6UW.jpg
ynWlXZC.jpg

Also there is the ammo belt which I believe is ready to strapped on. 

ApDMxhq.jpg

Thanks Nick.

Took me a while to remember where I had this photo, but, this is the RS right thigh itself. As you’ll see, there’s not too much of an offset on their original suit compared with the replica. Looking at the comparison photo further down, I think that their original thighs might me a little smaller in circumference than your build, which explains the slight differences. This is NOT a problem, just might lead to some differences here and there. (When you watch their video tutorial for the thighs and hear the measurements, they are super super skinny! I have it a try but their original sizes were too slim for my legs).

Personally, I’d consider trimming the longer side (and coverstrip) to bring it a bit closer to the RS suit and to other screen used suits.

ac65b0c9cf78e42ef2f60b011b4956e1.png

a8c8fb34f9a06140a45298ed4e98aa9d.png

Another screen used suit comparison.
00da1991dd3f20ed6949f4fa3a3fbe0d.jpg

I’d maybe consider something a little like this.
97fd8159a872242e6f43e872b18b973b.png
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Nick the Trooper:

And here is the left thigh complete but they don´t fit perfectly on the bottom and I can´t get them to stick together even with glue and a extra piece of ABS.

cUlTK4y.jpg

J1Y2wrm.jpg

Looks good! Maybe cut the top of the cover strip a bit more so it doesn't stick out?

Regarding the gap, you can easily fill it with ABS Paste (How to Apply) or Sugru. Its really easy, helps with the Centurion no-gap requirement and was done for the screen-used armors.

Hope this helps and good luck! :duim:

• Like 2

So the ammo belt is put on they just need to be painted.

c21vMUb.jpg
fgxPTWD.jpg
hP4q8iy.jpg

And here is the left thigh complete but they don´t fit perfectly on the bottom and I can´t get them to stick together even with glue and a extra piece of ABS.

cUlTK4y.jpg
J1Y2wrm.jpg

Nice work. Very neat. :-)

With the top of the coverstrip, personally, I’d always recommend that a coverstrip never exceeds the length of the armour piece that you’re attaching it to. This is based on screen used suits. (More about that here:
)

Also, unless you are preferring the rounded coverstrip ends, the originals were cut at approximately 45° angles. If you are aiming for screen accurate (rather than idealised), that’s another option you could take.

6707f63c70025a45060a3617990f4da1.png

Coverstrip ends - examples:
e097801e7c85201081d8bca9120bca18.jpg

As always, these are just suggestions.
  • Like 1

vor 25 Minuten schrieb CableGuy:

Nice work. Very neat. :-)

With the top of the coverstrip, personally, I’d always recommend that a coverstrip never exceeds the length of the armour piece that you’re attaching it to. This is based on screen used suits. (More about that here:

)

Also, unless you are preferring the rounded coverstrip ends, the originals were cut at approximately 45° angles. If you are aiming for screen accurate (rather than idealised), that’s another option you could take.

6707f63c70025a45060a3617990f4da1.png

Coverstrip ends - examples:
e097801e7c85201081d8bca9120bca18.jpg

As always, these are just suggestions. emoji16.png

I personally prefer the rounded cover strips but I´m still debating on going with a more screen accurate look to keep it uniform. 

• Like 1

I personally prefer the rounded cover strips but I´m still debating on going with a more screen accurate look to keep it uniform. 

Sure thing. I only mention little things like this as you’re aiming for Centurion. It’s the little bits that make a big difference to the final piece.
No worries if you prefer the idealised look. Just perhaps check with the DO team along the way to see if they’d accept certain compromises at Centurion level.
  • Like 1

You went a little close to the corners of you knee ammo strip, it may be mentioned at higher levels. Also note the curved section is not completely rounded on screen armor although that's not usually mentioned ;) 

fgxPTWD.jpg

Reference 

gallery_12157_78_1344899.jpg

• Like 1

For the gaps, The front one is not too bad, but the one in the rear will definitely need to be filled for Centurion, Nick, and it's actually pretty easy to do!  It should take you all of 15-20 minutes, and will make a world of difference in the look.  I see you already added the ABS shim in the back of the front gap, so you are almost halfway there!  By the way, the front one would pass at Level 3, but since you will already have the product on hand for the rear I would go ahead and fill that small gap. ;)

Ty3qnxx.jpg?1    2yoihOq.jpg?1

Luca provided a link to my tutorial here, and even though Sugru is owned by a German company (Tesa) I'm not sure if it's available there.  A good alternative is Kintsuglue (available on Amazon Germany here).

• Like 3

You can have them straight cut or angled or even stepped, just be aware that any piece sticking out can catch when you move your arms so angled is better.

Some references

gallery_12157_59_60802.jpg

gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg

gallery_12157_59_206769.jpg

gallery_12157_59_50602.jpg

• Like 1

So as I mentioned yesterday here are the right forearm and biceps. Furthermore I started trimming the shins, as far as I know the bottom needs to be cut of cleanly like the forearms and the upper return edge can be cut to my liking right? The references show some form of return edge on some armour pieces. :tkreal:

q97HfhI.jpg

O8lwIKj.jpg

KlFdhb0.jpg

YTOdGil.jpg

Y24sbGs.jpg

BttBpSr.jpg

Correct you can remove the return edge although some is seen in references, it's a case of comfort rather than screen accuracy gallery_12157_59_37348.thumb.jpg.68155fdbcf27b86e12f3bed8f47c54de.jpg

gallery_12157_59_38503.thumb.jpg.153572bd83b59d9063848dc832cc58e0.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Nick the Trooper said:

Hello there!

Quick update, I will be on Holiday the next two weeks after graduating Saturday. 

Concerning my build, the shins are nearly finished. Just the sniper plate needs to be fitted (pictures will be given tomorrow probably). :smiley-sw013:

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Enjoy !

About the Sniper Knee, If I may, consider what the CRL states.

• Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.

Some reference Images.

baYWB3v.jpg   284c0Z2.png?1  2dnBHvM.jpg 

• Like 2

Hi Nick

Enjoy your break away. :-)

A little food for thought for your return to the white stuff. Coverstrips.

I know you said you’re not keen on the screen accurate 45° corners of the coverstrips, however, perhaps the length of them is something you’d consider changing for a cleaner look. As below, the original coverstrips are never significantly longer than the armour. In fact, they are usually only as long as the shortest armour piece (seen bottom left in picture below):

d53204c7a6fb844a555e8f5a71b72ad9.png

As you’re aiming for Centurion (I.e. for more of the screen accurate details), this could be a consideration.

Here’s more details on coverstrips:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Sadly I wasn´t really communicative the last few weeks.

As I said I was on Holiday for two weeks, after that I got sick again and didn´t felt like building. 

I´m going to cut the coverstrips to there appropriate length today and post pictures about the sniper plate (hopefully I´m not going to forget it again :P)

Edited by Nick the Trooper
  • Like 1