Meatstock Sandtrooper Helmet?

i have a chance of getting one, is it because they are rare, or no one wants one?????? what would be a good price????? thanks!!!!!

Ā 

They were a direct recast off a TE helmet so shuld be fairly accurate. However I do remember hearing that they were very thin and quality varied.

Ā 

My advice would be to avoid and go for a TE2, TM, AP etc. - there are enough quality helmets out there at very reasonable prices.

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Jez

My advice would be to avoid and go for a TE2, TM, AP etc. - there are enough quality helmets out there at very reasonable prices.

Ā 

You will be much happier with one of these in the long run.

well to be honest, i'd be getting the helmet for around $80 shipped, and on top of that, i want to paint for my shadow kit TX!!!!! When i upgrade to white armor, i will def. get the better kits like AP or TE2!!!!! So is it still a good deal, or should i just go MR CE??? i'm not liking the FX shadow helmet or just plain FX helmet period!!!!!

I know the 501st has no "official" stance on recasting, but my personal take is: once someone finds out something is a recast, how could they even possibly still consider getting it? I don't care if the price is good. This isn't a hobby for the impatient. Save up a bit longer and get one of the honest makers' offerings.

Ā 

I don't rant as vitriolically as some on these boards about recasters, but I still feel pretty strongly about it.

Ā 

Luis, are you getting it from Meatstock, or from someone who bought it themselves some time ago?

Ā 

--Jonah

Ā 

(P.S. Ease up on the punctuation, there. One or two are plenty to get the point across. *heh*)

I know the 501st has no "official" stance on recasting, but my personal take is: once someone finds out something is a recast, how could they even possibly still consider getting it? I don't care if the price is good. This isn't a hobby for the impatient. Save up a bit longer and get one of the honest makers' offerings.

Ā 

I don't rant as vitriolically as some on these boards about recasters, but I still feel pretty strongly about it.

Ā 

Luis, are you getting it from Meatstock, or from someone who bought it themselves some time ago?

Ā 

--Jonah

Ā 

(P.S. Ease up on the punctuation, there. One or two are plenty to get the point across. *heh*)

Ā 

wow, i just want a decent looking helmet to paint to replace my FX helmet, why am i going to spend over $200 on a nice helmet just to paint it all black? this is for my black kit, when i upgrade to white armor, i'm going to want to get a great kit/great helmet, so i don't see what the problem is if i get a meatstock helmet from a guy who is selling one? i didn't know this would spark conflict or whatever, but i just wanted to see if this was a good deal/good helmet! And i didn't know this was English grammar class, at least i'm not using CAPS to shout right? So, like i said, is this a good deal? Obviously the helmet must not be that good for the low price! Anyone? I'm not trying to sound rude or harsh, i just wanted some detail on this helmet for the price.

It all comes down to preference. If you don't mind its history and think itā€™s a good deal then thatā€™s all that really matters right. I personally like TE2 and that what I have gone with for my buckets. Do what makes you happy because you are the person that is buying the helmet not any of us. We were just trying to give you advice. Thatā€™s all.

Luis - you can't fault people for trying to protect solid members of the prop building community. Recasters and recasting destroys the hobby. One can be in denial all they want, but it's the truth.

Ā 

It's your money and it's your conscience, but don't take issue when people call you on it.

everyone i'm not trying to cause uproar, i'm not trying to give credit towards recasters or anything because i know it's not good for this hobby and it's looked down upon, i just don't think it's smart to pay however much a TE2 or AP helmet costs, paint it black, then buy another one, when i get my white armor...i don't have that much money. i know some people do, and money is not an option but for me, it is! I'm not trying to bash anyone or trying to stick up for recasters because that is not the case, in fact recasting wasn't mentioned in my original post, i just wanted the experts' advice on what a meatstock helmet even was, and if $80 shipped is a good deal. I guess if it's not because it's causing this much trouble i'll just stick to getting an MRCE. so please don't mix up my words and think i'm totally supportive of getting a recasted helmet, i know the original makers of helmets are much better (AP, TM, TE/TE2, etc.) but i just wanted a cheap and better looking replacement for my FX helmet. That's all! i apologize if i sounded rude so, as this was not intentional, but once again i just wanted to know the history and background of the Meatstock, so let me rephrase my question:

Ā 

If you only had $100 and you could only choose between the TWO, what would it be, a MEATSTOCK RECASTED helmet, or an MR CE helmet???? thanks!!!!

As far as threads that involve recast helmets go, there isn't an uproar here, just people posting their opinions.

Ā 

First off it's your money, so only you can make the final decision. A few simple questions are do you have pics of the helmet? That way you know if it's a good pull or not. You can ask for a picture of the inside to give you a hint as to how well it's assembled.

Ā 

Just make sure you do your due diligence before you make your decision.

well here are the pictures...looks good as i know it should because it's been recasted off the TE, so it better look good!!!!! Any thoughts, keep in mind that i want to pretty much take it apart, start from scratch and paint in gloss black for my shadow kit!!!!!

jDeVPzz.jpg

0Fwnyd7.jpg

qZpqLqx.jpg

vyXKfLG.jpg

any other opinions????

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

The Meatsock is very thin and soft in the features compared to high-end helmets. You can say you don't support recasting all you want... but if you buy... then you do and you give them reason to continue recasting. Lack of funds really isn't a good argument either when it comes to buying recasts. However, since this is not likely from the original maker and he stopped years ago I really don't see a problem. Hell... the helmet is there... so why not put it to good use, as you seem to have in your plans.

Ā 

I think I would advise against taking it apart, just scrub it clean - without breaking it - and then repaint it as it is, just removing the rubber trims.

The Meatsock is very thin and soft in the features compared to high-end helmets. You can say you don't support recasting all you want... but if you buy... then you do and you give them reason to continue recasting. Lack of funds really isn't a good argument either when it comes to buying recasts. However, since this is not likely from the original maker and he stopped years ago I really don't see a problem. Hell... the helmet is there... so why not put it to good use, as you seem to have in your plans.

Ā 

I think I would advise against taking it apart, just scrub it clean - without breaking it - and then repaint it as it is, just removing the rubber trims.

Ā 

good point man, well yeah, i would just take the brow off then repaint it all black! good idea! and whereabouts on where i could get a replacement brow like the one pictured? not like the MRCE brow?

Heck .. In my opinion, this helmet looks 10 times better than a CE .. but again, I just hate the look of the MR CE helmet.

Ā 

I'd buy this one, and redo the eyes section (more trimming needed there) then do whatever you wanna do with it!