TK Helmet Mods

BATS2150

Ok, I acquired a TK helmet from a friend so I can practice on inserting helmet padding. The helmet is a Shepperton Designs TK helmet and I am trying out different types of padding so when my Armor and other helmet arrive, I will have an idea what to use. How many of you have tried using baseball helmet padding in the Bucket? Any recommendations would be appreciated, and I will keep updated to see how the progress goes. Thanks

• Like 1

When adding padding to the interior, it's important to figure out how much (if any) you want in the top.  Many times we see troopers with pads that are too thick, causing the helmet to sit too high (as seen in the first image below).  Our field of vision is not the best to begin with, and you may find yourself constantly tilting the bucket forward just to be able to see.  Not just inconvenient, but potentially dangerous- as you can trip.

Note in the second photo how low it sits on the chest plate ;).

6Je7xs3.jpg?2   ZzYzrf2.jpg?1

If I could suggest one more thing it would be to use pads that are removable.  Even if you have a fan system (recommended) it gets hot, so during a troop we sweat.  Sometimes a LOT.  Being able to take them out and wash them as needed will prevent a smelly bucket.

• Like 2

I use a thin maple leaf piece in the top and a 1 1/2 block either side of the head to stop any rotation or dropping

Originals used the maple leaf design

Screenshot_20210510-124629_Samsung Internet.jpg

gallery_12157_59_69892.jpg

Some use these as you can place them anywhere but I found they are a little stiff for my liking

Screenshot_20210510-124951_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a give and take with the padding. I took into account the field of vision and the padding on top. I adjusted the pads an got it to where it does not sit high. I think also that the electronics (Fan set up, audio modulator and hearing assist) will also weigh it down a bit. 

Edited by BATS2150
remove picture
  • Like 1