SpacesNoTabs AP Stunt build

SpacesNoTabs

5 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

So apart from cleaning up then cover strips, we're the lengths ok? I've looked at various references and videos and thought I had a good size but then I see other peeps doing longer ones so I'm unsure!

And does anyone else have as a hard a time working with these magnets as I do? Man, I must have weak fingers haha

Personally I would trim the end of the excess plastic on this bicep otherwise you may skewer yourself at some time, although it does match a screen references the way it is sometimes you have to go for comfort not accuracy 

tBFce96.jpg

Magnets have bitten me more than once, some find wrapping material around them help to save your fingers, I just learned to be cautious with them, occasionally thought two will click together and break, but at least my finger isn't in between. 

skktQRg.jpg?1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

Thanks so much, gmrhodes, you've been super helpful!  So for trimming that corner, should I just cut it straight across or maybe curve it?  Is it under the shoulder piece so maybe it doesn't matter?

WQ9868O.jpg

Straight or a little curved is ok. Try to smooth with some sanding to avoid scratches on the skin

F8rC5Ua.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:28 AM, SpacesNoTabs said:

Even though my armor is pre-trimmed, I still want to size it to make sure it's correct.  I have one of the biceps and am trying to tape it like so many others do, but my pieces aren't rounded enough and create more of an oval kind of shape.  Am I doing something wrong here?  What can I do to temporarily put these in the shape they need to be so I can test it out?  

IAq813e.jpg?1

obAnczw.jpg?1

fMXfBk3.jpg?1

I4yispv.jpg?1

First glue the strips on the outer bicep parts let dry 24 hours then glue in the inner bicep part one side at a time, the shape is normal the original were like that, once you glue strips they will be fine. sending yu photos via email of the one I assembled 

;) 

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

I am both proud of myself and extremely discouraged.  I am contemplating changing the name of this thread to "SpacesNoTabs shows you how NOT to assemble armor!"

I thought I had finally complete a single piece of armor. One bicep. Took off the clamps and magnets and it looked fine at first but as time went on the cover strip started peeling away. I only left it for 24 hours so I realize I probably should have waited longer. But even then, it feels like these pieces simply do not want to stick. My biceps are ... well, about the same size as my 6-year old's, so when they trimmed it, there wasn't any like flat ridge left understandably. So the pieces join at an angle. That, and the plastic is thicker (which I like!).  And no matter the clamps and number of magnets I put on there I just can't seem to keep it flat at the joint. I don't want to have to do it a third time! So frustrating. Sorry for the venting lol I just feel like I can't even finish a single piece!

Here's an image of the bicep piece on arm and me feeling like a champion

wGQO0mk.jpg?1

Here are a couple images of the whole piece

cHBML4d.jpg?1

qHdI1Q5.jpg?1

And here is a pic of the cover strip coming off.  And my hand (maybe hand model is in my future?)

XNdvKC9.jpg

So here's the other bicep which I just taped together.  Notice that the joints aren't flat but at an angle.  

NUatE6L.jpg

Mark, you suggested that I should only secure a cover strip to one half at a time correct?  Do you think doing this will make it easier for me to keep the joints flat with the cover strips on?  I should have just followed your advice in the first place and not be impatient!

Don't be disappointed Chris, this is a learning process . I had the same issue with my first build.

Extreme problems, extreme solutions. What I did, not only for biceps but for forearms and  thighs as well , was to use a wood piece to ensure a firm and plain surface inside and outside like a sandwich and clamps, clamps  . see bellow

ummu5gh.jpg?1

OjELR1c.jpg?1

let dry for 48 hours.

• Like 1

Definitely only glue one side at a time. Pushing down on the join quite hard then wrapping tape around tightly will help and make sure if they are under pressure you let the glue dry fully, 48 to 72 hours.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, SpacesNoTabs said:

I am both proud of myself and extremely discouraged.  I am contemplating changing the name of this thread to "SpacesNoTabs shows you how NOT to assemble armor!"

I thought I had finally complete a single piece of armor. One bicep. Took off the clamps and magnets and it looked fine at first but as time went on the cover strip started peeling away. I only left it for 24 hours so I realize I probably should have waited longer. But even then, it feels like these pieces simply do not want to stick. My biceps are ... well, about the same size as my 6-year old's, so when they trimmed it, there wasn't any like flat ridge left understandably. So the pieces join at an angle. That, and the plastic is thicker (which I like!).  And no matter the clamps and number of magnets I put on there I just can't seem to keep it flat at the joint. I don't want to have to do it a third time! So frustrating. Sorry for the venting lol I just feel like I can't even finish a single piece!

Here's an image of the bicep piece on arm and me feeling like a champion

wGQO0mk.jpg?1

Here are a couple images of the whole piece

cHBML4d.jpg?1

qHdI1Q5.jpg?1

And here is a pic of the cover strip coming off.  And my hand (maybe hand model is in my future?)

XNdvKC9.jpg

So here's the other bicep which I just taped together.  Notice that the joints aren't flat but at an angle.  

NUatE6L.jpg

Mark, you suggested that I should only secure a cover strip to one half at a time correct?  Do you think doing this will make it easier for me to keep the joints flat with the cover strips on?  I should have just followed your advice in the first place and not be impatient!

Yes first glue all the strips on the outer part half of the biceps let dry 24 hours then you glue in the inner half part but one side at a time,  its a 3 step process , 1st glue strips on outer half parts,  2nd glue one side of inner half part, 3rd glue the other side of inner part. I built many and they are flat no gaps ect... Remember when applying glue less is more, if you put too much glue it will take much longer to cure (chemical to evaporate) I just apply a small 3cm strip all along edge towards the inside so when you put part the glue won't sqeeze out all over the place, if done properly glue shouldnt squeeze out and if so very little.

Ok, well, I got two biceps done.  Lessons were learned.  But, I don't think I'll be happy with them until I get them just right.  I didn't measure the cover strips quite correctly (I know, I know, measure twice, cut once!) so they're a little shorter on one than another.  My plan is to fix it, but I've spent so long on these two pieces of armor, I wanted to shift to the forearms next to keep my motivation going!  

9xSBEYB.jpg?1

ztd81ZB.jpg

All of your tips and suggestions have helped a ton.  Taking it a little slower, doing half a cover strip at a time per @ABS80 suggestion helped me to get a better fit I think so I'll stick with that method.  

Onto the forearms for now.  I taped them up and tried fitting them (again, already pre-trimmed so not too much to do).  The shape is definitely going to be a challenge as others have attested to!  That, and I'm not entirely sure what it means for a forearm to fit well.  Should it feel snug around the forearm or have some room?  I suppose if I make it so there's some room, and need to have it more snug, I can add some extra padding.  Speaking of which, three questions:

1. What are general opinions of doing inner cover strips?

2. When people talk about adding some padding inside the armor pieces, are they talking about foam? 

3. If I end up getting the forearms glued, and the part by the wrist still isn't quite oval-shaped enough, is this something a hot water bath will help with or do I need to really make sure it's perfect before gluing it all?

• Like 1

1. What are general opinions of doing inner cover strips? I used to add them but really found they are only needed on pieces that take any strain, the shins as you are constantly opening and closing so I recommend adding them there on the inner front.

2. When people talk about adding some padding inside the armor pieces, are they talking about foam? Yes normal foam, I have them in my arms pieces and thighs, darn these skinny arm's and legs

3. If I end up getting the forearms glued, and the part by the wrist still isn't quite oval-shaped enough, is this something a hot water bath will help with or do I need to really make sure it's perfect before gluing it all? Personally I find it easier to use heat once all the cover strips are added. I use a heat gun BUT you need some practice, you can go too hot too quickly hence why many use a hot water bath. 

• Like 2

Almost done with my first forearm and it's going pretty well thanks to all the tips above.  

Been working on the helmet.  Pre-trimmed but I thought I'd show a few pics to ask if it needs any refinement.  I riveted the back cap to the faceplate.  I wasn't going to, but it was difficult to try and align the ears without doing that first.  Also, riveting seemed like fun.  And it was.

Here's the riveted helmet with a cameo from my cat, Vader

74rph93.jpg

Left and ride sides

28g59CT.jpg

LF1lP2o.jpg

Here's the left side where I'm trying to align the left ear.  As you can see, the holes are pre-drilled and I only put in one rivet, not one at the bottom.

WvFnR0g.jpg

If I hold the ear directly above where the pre-drilled holes are, you can see that it needs a bit of work.

QPMUXp9.jpg

lj9DQu4.jpg

Q8q3PBU.jpg

From my untrained eye, it appears that I need to trim down the curve on the front part of the ear where it's pushing up against the faceplate.  Does that seem logical?  Are you guys seeing any other issues with alignment?  

Adding a step to the top of the ear helps the back to sit in better. Also note the holes that are there are approximate, you can move or slot them if you need too, adding washers behind will keep the strength.

It's all about fine tuning, if you sand/trim in one section it will affect other areas so do small amounts at one time and keep checking

cap ear fit.png

3 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

What do you mean by "slot" them? Do you mean expand the hole a bit if necessary? 

Correct on occasions to get a nice fit I have had to slot the holes in the back plate to twist the ears slightly.

Ideal positions for the ears are below but not always achievable depending on make of helmet and how the helmet has been assembled, also not a requirement for any level approval ;) 

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

The ears!  Oh, the humanity.  So I got the left ear on, but not happy with it.  It was pre-trimmed as I said, but of course once I put the faceplate and back cap together, it didn't quite fit so I had to do some sanding.  I don't have a dremel and frankly, was worried I'd cut away too much anyway, so I just used some 60-grit sandpaper to slowly take things off.  Every time I sanded one area, other things were off.  So it took a while.  This is the closest I could get it.  I had to drill the holes again as the existing ones no longer worked.  Please let me know any suggestions you have for modifying this.

qY6gxYz.jpg

7OxKkrW.jpg

6tVmiG5.jpg

12l4KYL.jpg

I tried adding the step to the ear and it helped though I couldn't quite get it enough to cover that step.

doUvpp7.jpg

And here's the inside where I attached.  I got pretty close to that bottom rivet.  Maybe I should have removed the rivet first. 

g75YFLe.jpg

G6yvAxs.jpg

Anyway, all suggestions welcome!  Will start on the next ear soon.

Looking okay from those close ups. Could you take some pictures from a few feet back? (I like to stand around 6’ back and use 2x zoom on iPhone. Helps with how the proportions look in the photos) :-)

Perfect. Those really help get the “bigger picture”.

That’s looking really good! Positioning looks good and they seem to line up well with the trap. Not too gappy (although, small gaps really aren’t an issue) and the overall faceplate alignment and brow height looks really good too.

Nice work, trooper! (Now it’s on to the other ear…) ;-)

I got my first forearm "done".  In quotes, because one of the cover strips is ever so slightly coming up so I need to glue that part again.  But, I was concerned about the sizing once I put it on.  It's big on my skinny little arms.  Is this a situation where I need to trim some off each side and glue it up again?  Is it more a matter of shaping?  Or just padding it with some foam?

Check out that big ol' gap!

BSaMDhp.jpg?1

GhpUyf4.jpg?1

pvp01Ir.jpg?1

UCZ3Wy2.jpg?1

3 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

doUvpp7.jpg

Anyway, all suggestions welcome!  Will start on the next ear soon.

If you had wanted too you could have trimmed some excess material from the top of the backplate to allow the step to work better BUT you have done a nice job and I've leave it as you are.

You have achieved a nice angle on the ears too, well done.

Just one thing, the bottom screws will need to be replaced

7OxKkrW.jpg  

ayl1VHO.jpg?1   VtBLiIO.jpg?2

Just make sure you trim the inner corners too on the front of the forearms, looks like you have some areas which could be removed, although that may be the angle of the image ;) 

46QS6rq.jpg?1

1 minute ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

What about the forearm sizing? 

I have a big gap in mine also, I have skinny arms and added two pieces of foam to the insides, you will also note when your have your gloves on the area will appear filled. I used some heat to make the round one a little more oval, I use a heat gun but you need practice, many use a hot water bath.

Normally you wouldn't want to take all of the gap out, if so you could end up with the forearms not matching the size of the biceps and they will look a little weird. BUT in saying that I'd leave any final trimming until you have your armor and arms on so you can get an overall look.

In the event you still think they are too big you can remove the bottom ridges and then glue back on the coverstrip. Cricket's modification here 

Although there are watermarked images in this thread he used some clamps to help pull down the ridge areas to help to keep the coverstrips flat on the raised areas while glue was drying

Here's a couple of the unwatermarked images

509355818_2015-05-0821_41.48_zpsjryzqu4m.thumb.webp.77ae23ec8ce33497fdb10150533275bd.webp

1965412320_2015-05-0821_41.52_zpsnpjkjaoo.thumb.webp.44e6b3897fcb661eb4bbd13ec8446be6.webp