SpacesNoTabs AP Stunt build

SpacesNoTabs

Sadly, it's been only about a week since I ordered my trimmed armor kit from AP. So I have a while to wait. But I have been slowly accumulating various tools and parts I will need for assembly.

I'm pretty nervous to be honest. With the help of all you amazing folk and the build threads here, I'm sure I'll cheer fine but I don't know how capable I am of such a project. I think I'm worried most about alignment issues. Like, not assembling the helmet correctly and it being all wanky. Or gluing the biceps wrong, trimming some off that I shouldn't (even though it's pre-trimmed), things like that.  

But, I'm stoked. I have wanted to do this for years. My wife thinks it's the dumbest thing she's ever heard of, but at the same time, it was her idea for me to do this for my upcoming birthday so I have a lot of support :)

Don't be too worried, just remember measure twice and cut once, if you don't know then ask and if you're in a hurry we have our gallery sections for references https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Some helpful links I posted on another's thread this morning: 

A lot of helpful links here: 

Post lots of photos it's one of the best ways to get feedback, sometimes we can see something before you may act ;) 

Good luck, now on to that researching :D 

One question I have is regarding the interior of the helmet. I see that some people paint it, or maybe line it with some material. I like the idea of a nice coat of matte black on the inside. But, I'm concerned about fumes. Can anyone speak to painting their helmet and if they had to deal with the fumes or if those died down?

3 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

One question I have is regarding the interior of the helmet. I see that some people paint it, or maybe line it with some material. I like the idea of a nice coat of matte black on the inside. But, I'm concerned about fumes. Can anyone speak to painting their helmet and if they had to deal with the fumes or if those died down?

I used an automotive satin black paint, dried pretty quickly, there was some fumes noticeable but after leaving it for a week it seemed to be ok.

Some use Plasti-dip 

A couple of threads may be of interest (there are many more ;) )

5 hours ago, SpacesNoTabs said:

I use the black Plasti-Dip spray on all my buckets.  Besides looking kinda' cool, it helps keep any exposed skin not covered by your neck seal much less noticeable.  It smells really bad when you first apply it**  but that odor goes away completely in a day or so.  One thing I would suggest is to sand down the interior with (rough) 80 grit sandpaper and then clean it thoroughly before applying it, which gives the product a better surface to adhere to.  It's easiest to sand/clean the interior before putting it together... trust me. ;)

** I recommend using a particle mask.  Fumes and ABS dust from the sanding are not a good thing.

ilQOFsf.png?1

Congrats on your purchase. I have two AP kits and I love them - one is a TK and the other is a sandtrooper. I have detailed builds for both here on the forums. Let me know if you have any questions. And don’t worry… I didn’t have a hot clue how to do any of this stuff - if I can sort this craziness out, so can you. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Great news, the sheer excitement, then later that day, the panic sets in :laugh1:

45160653.jpg

I haven't even started yet and I'm already discouraged! Reading through other build threads, it just seems like getting these various pieces put together properly and making sure everything is aligned is going to be a challenge for me. I got the pre-trimmed kit but I imagine there will still need to be a little trim I need to do here and there. Yikes

Don't feel defeated as yet, lots of helpful people on the forum ready to lend a hand. You can also reach out to your local Garrison and see if there are members near you, it's amazing just speaking to someone for a short time can give you a whole knew outlook.

Although I'm handy and hands on for a lot of stuff I felt daunted researching and then the sheer panic when the kit actually arrived, but after trimming my first peace the worry went away.

Yes there is a lot of info here on the forums but just by following just one or two threads you can make it to the finish line. My go to thread for anyone new is @ukswrath, although Anovos its still very, very detailed and full of photos 

Some AP threads I shared today for matching pieces 

Also this one

Another good build with some references

Chris, you are having the same nerves and fears we all did when our first kits arrived, but i promise you, it isn't as hard as it might seem.

Things start to settle after you make your first cuts, that's if you need to  make many at all on a pre trimmed kit.

No one automatically knows how to assemble armour from the outset, it is a skill you quickly develop as you move through your build.

It's not a race so take your time, and as Glen says, ask plenty of questions when ever in doubt.

We are here in every capacity possible;e to help you, and the pride you will have after completing your build is irreplaceable.

I'll echo what Glen and Andrew have said, Chris.  You have a LOT of folks here that are not just willing and able but eager to help every step of the way!  We've been-there-done-that and know what it's like to be in your situation, so not to worry... you can do this!

Once you have all your build supplies in place, I can suggest a few basic things:

1.  Stay organized. 

2.  Take.... your... time.  Don't try to rush.  Trust me on this one.

3.  Ask questions.  As many as you like.  This is especially important if you are in doubt about something, especially before cutting or gluing.

4.  Check your references.  Often.  Sometimes the CRLs can be a bit vague, and I have a thread here which will help with detailed pics.

5.  Most importantly, post photos (and lot's of em').  Doing this is especially helpful when you have a question or issues.

6.  There are times that you will get frustrated... we all did at some point but don't let this discourage you.  Sometimes it's best to take a break from your build, check your references, ask any questions you have and then dive back in.

We are here for you, and I look forward to following your build!

Hey Chris. 

I am open to a zoom call or something if you would like since we are pretty much starting out at the same time on AP kits.  I can fill you in on what my experience has been with the pieces that I have worked on and the things I have learned (including which way is up on the biceps).  Just let me know if you are interested.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Doggydoc said:

Hey Chris. 

I am open to a zoom call or something if you would like since we are pretty much starting out at the same time on AP kits.  I can fill you in on what my experience has been with the pieces that I have worked on and the things I have learned (including which way is up on the biceps).  Just let me know if you are interested.  

That would be awesome!  I'll message you to set it up.  I've got two little ones so things have been busy and I haven't even been able to start yet, but planning on it soon.

• Like 2

Of course you can do this, Chris!!!:jc_doublethumbup:

As Joseph says, don't try to rush. When in doubt, always ask before cutting or gluing (don't be afraid to ask lots of questions), and be sure to add photos(a picture is worth a thousand words;)) ...

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, SpacesNoTabs said:

I haven't even started yet and I'm already discouraged! Reading through other build threads, it just seems like getting these various pieces put together properly and making sure everything is aligned is going to be a challenge for me. I got the pre-trimmed kit but I imagine there will still need to be a little trim I need to do here and there. Yikes

Don't fret trooper. There are so many folks here and ready to help. You can do it. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:10 PM, SpacesNoTabs said:

Been there!  My first kit was a trimmed AP as well (I have build threads for both a trimmed and un-trimmed kit). I was terrified to make that first cut. Yes, some trimming for size is usually required, but it is not nearly as difficult as you might think. Take your time, go through some build threads, measure twice, and ask questions with lots of photos. The troopers here walked me through my first build. You’ve got this.