justjoseph's ROTJ 3D E-11 build

justjoseph63

Thanks, gents!  I have 2 mannequins to build for my new man-cave, but after that I start on an F-11D.  This really is a sickness, lol, but living in the middle of nowhere I have to keep myself occupied. :P

• Like 2

The blaster cam out amazing. Top notch work!

I am currently copying an MGC part for part. A nice guy who owns one in Japan kindly disassembled his so I can make molds. Once I finally get it all molded and casted up I will be back here looking how to make or acquire all the add ons to make it an ROTJ blaster. Thank you for sharing all the information on this build. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Finished!

Again, please keep in mind that this 3D E-11 kit was apparently designed from the "Battlefront" videogame version so there are some significant differences.  Most I could overcome, but a big one was the holes in the shroud.  They simply do not correspond to the screen used (MGC) ones.  I got as close as I could, so bear that in mind.

Once I got ready to mount the U channels I found that my rivet gun was too wide to fit down into the channels themselves (pic 1).  After a few choice curse words muttered under my breath I knew had to figure out how to attach them.  I briefly considered screws, but it just wouldn't be the same.

SO, I separated the rivets (14 of them), separated the mandrels (center parts), cut down the length and epoxied them back into the rivet pins as seen in the second 2 pics below.

I should have mentioned before that when building the main body that I installed a thin metal tube inside the shroud to give the appearance of an actual barrel.  Oops.

urPHTG9.jpg   9O9TTKU.jpg   8jBqvgt.jpg?1

My plan ended up as seen below (pic 1).  Drill out the holes on the channels and shroud/barrel (just as one normally would) but I epoxied each modified rivet in.  I was afraid this may make it sort of fragile, but after the epoxy set they are actually very sturdy.  WHEW!

HINT:  Drill all holes in the channels and shroud BEFORE attaching them.

The holes for the rivets were integrated into the print, but they did not line up correctly (mainly due to the barrel mods) so I drilled new ones.  Hint:  Make sure the holes for the rivets are between the holes in the shroud (pic 2).

qAWAduf.jpg?1      EoAwfC8.png?1

The channel that sits on the left side will have to have the bottom bent down on the front to accommodate the front "D" ring.

HINT:  Attach the D-ring/mount AFTER attaching the channels.

The stock that came with the kit was too long after cutting down the length of the of the shroud earlier , and to add some "heft" I used a real vintage Sterling folding stock for this build, which differs slightly from the original- especially in the area seen with the red arrow (first pic).  Not too noticeable, but I hope it doesn't keep me up at night thinking about it.**  I did add the rivet on the side, which as I mentioned before will prevent the stock from extending.

**It will. :laugh1:

Cr5ENsQ.jpg      BhihAXx.jpg

After touching up the paint and letting that dry overnight, I added some light weathering.                                                         Had these made for all my display pieces.

UPEeWPg.jpg?3     C6K512g.jpg?2

And that's it.  Finished, and finally added to my "wall-o'-weapons".  To anyone who has followed this, thanks for looking!

yCD1Eyn.jpg?1

U-Channels-  After spending more time that I care to admit to searching for these, I finally found a seller (George) on the RPF.  Once he got them made shipping was fast and I honestly could not be more pleased with the quality.  A little pricey, but well worth every cent in my opinion.  Link to his sales thread on the RPF here.

This was an incredible build! I love the finish result! I am also happy that you like the u-channels, I am someone who is very hyper critical on getting the look right and cutting a copper tube in half or plastic pipe just wasn't going to cut it. This is also the first time for me seeing my u-channels on a completed project! I am glad I could help out and be apart of this in some small way. :smiley-sw013:

9 hours ago, TKCaleb said:

This was an incredible build! I love the finish result! I am also happy that you like the u-channels, I am someone who is very hyper critical on getting the look right and cutting a copper tube in half or plastic pipe just wasn't going to cut it. This is also the first time for me seeing my u-channels on a completed project! I am glad I could help out and be apart of this in some small way. :smiley-sw013:

Holy cats, Caleb!  I had no idea this was you that made these.. it took me a second, but then when I saw the Virginia Beach location it finally dawned on me, lol.  You know yourself that real metal U-channels are next to impossible to find, so I would suggest starting a sales thread here. ;)

Thanks again for an awesome product and especially for helping me finish up this puppy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Holy cats, Caleb!  I had no idea this was you that made these.. it took me a second, but then when I saw the Virginia Beach location it finally dawned on me, lol.  You know yourself that real metal U-channels are next to impossible to find, so I would suggest starting a sales thread here. ;)

Thanks again for an awesome product and especially for helping me finish up this puppy!

Yep it's me! I had an interest thread that I opened here last year but nobody seemed interested. I had a lot more interest on TheRPF.  Not a lot of love for the ROTJ variant E-11 I suppose. I have a few more parts that are on the backburner that I plan to produce, I already have the 3d models design for them. Your build has me wanting to get cracking on my MGC builds. 

• Like 1