TK-12953 - A Dave's Darkside Depot EIB AHN Stunt build

jsilvius

Alright all, I'm looking to retire my old ATA kit and replace it with a Triple D (AM) kit built to EIB standards.

The plan is to take my current ATA kit and cut it down to make it fit my wife, so I'm just waiting on Dave to get the plastic in so I can order and get started.

I'm starting the tread now so I can solicit tips tricks and ideas so I'm ready to start once BBB day is here.

• Like 3

You will find links to most tricks and tips in this thread 

And when in doubt check with our gallery sections https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Make sure you check with the CRL when building so you include all the EIB requirements https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

And if building to EIB why not take that extra step and build to centurion, there really isn't that much work ;) 

You can also check the EIB photo requirements here 

For adjusting your old kit to your partners sizing check out a few of these threads 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38842-fragarocks-rs-stunt-build-not-to-scale/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42868-sha-shas-wtf-anh-stunt-build-complete/

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your BBB photos soon.

• Like 1

Fantastic to hear, James!  My Stunt and HWT armor are AM, and even after many years no cracks or yellowing.  LOVE IT!  As a bonus, Dave is a great guy to deal with.  As Glen mentioned, since (if built to specs) you should consider planning on Centurion!  We are here if you need any help, and be sure to post up lots of photos

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Deposit made on AM 5.0, so now the waiting begins in earnest.

I'm told BBB day should be in October/November (3-4 months).

I ordered the B options that comes with all the goodies to make it Centurion, including your flexible hand guards @justjoseph63.

We'll see how patient I am with the build. Centurion would be nice, but I'm not 5'7" 140lbs, so EIB maybe the best I can do. LOL

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jsilvius said:

I ordered the B options that comes with all the goodies to make it Centurion,

We'll see how patient I am with the build. Centurion would be nice, but I'm not 5'7" 140lbs, so EIB maybe the best I can do. LOL

I know a great place to come for help! ;)  Are you planning on 2 separate build threads?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The waiting is just something awful.

And unfortunately Dave was in Hurricane Ian's path. I am happy to hear he and his are okay. This unfortunately more than likely means more delay.

I'll keep him in my thoughts. I just hope my BBB gets here before the end of the year.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Got word this week that the shipping of the AM 5.0 kits will be starting this weekend (11 FEB 2023), so it only took 7 months, but seems like forever!

Getting excited about this build. I bought an RS Commissioned ESB kit from a member that retired. It was build to Centurion standards, and just seeing how it was put together has help me realize all the errors I made with my ATA Stunt kit. I can't wait to build this Stunt kit to at last EI.

On 2/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, jsilvius said:

Got word this week that the shipping of the AM 5.0 kits will be starting this weekend (11 FEB 2023), so it only took 7 months, but seems like forever!

Getting excited about this build. I bought an RS Commissioned ESB kit from a member that retired. It was build to Centurion standards, and just seeing how it was put together has help me realize all the errors I made with my ATA Stunt kit. I can't wait to build this Stunt kit to at last EI.

I'm right there with ya buddy.Got the message to earlier this week from Dave.

• Like 1

You are going to be pleasantly surprised by how much thicker the ABS he uses is as compared to some other makers (especially the bucket).  I'm building one of his helmets now for a display piece, and though I normally use ABS scissors, for this one I found that a quality pair of tin snips makes life much easier.  Trust me. ;)

I noticed a while back that although Dave makes his Hovi-tips out of cast aluminum rather than resin that there was no "nipple" inside like the originals.  I made a few that look very close, made some molds, cast a ton of them in white resin and sent them to him so you should have received a set with your kit.  You may want to paint them, but once the screen is in you really can't tell a difference in the color.

I believe I drilled out the bottoms slightly to accommodate the screw heads/tiny washer so they can lay flat on the base, but you may have to take a little more out.  To attach them, I used super glue gel with an accelerator instead of regular CA glue.  More control and a lower viscosity so it wouldn't seep out through the screw opening.

m8OeyB0.jpg    tl5J3lu.jpg   rTBSY56.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

You are going to be pleasantly surprised by how much thicker the ABS he uses is as compared to some other makers (especially the bucket).  I'm building one of his helmets now for a display piece, and though I normally use ABS scissors, for this one I found that a quality pair of tin snips makes life much easier.  Trust me. ;)

I noticed a while back that although Dave makes his Hovi-tips out of cast aluminum rather than resin that there was no "nipple" inside like the originals.  I made a few that look very close, made some molds, cast a ton of them in white resin and sent them to him so you should have received a set with your kit.  You may want to paint them, but once the screen is in you really can't tell a difference in the color.

I believe I drilled out the bottoms slightly to accommodate the screw heads/tiny washer so they can lay flat on the base, but you may have to take a little more out.  To attach them, I used super glue gel with an accelerator instead of regular CA glue.  More control and a lower viscosity so it wouldn't seep out through the screw opening.

m8OeyB0.jpg    tl5J3lu.jpg   rTBSY56.jpg

Pleasantly surprised with everything in the kit thus far, especially the flexible hand guards :icon_bow:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jsilvius said:

Pleasantly surprised with everything in the kit thus far, especially the flexible hand guards :icon_bow:

Where's the photos James!! :popcorn:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

Where's the photos James!! :popcorn:

Unfortunately life happened and building hasn't started yet. :(

Hopefully, :icon_beg: I be able to get going some time this week. I've built 3 other TKs so far, so I'm going to try and be more detailed with this one. Plan to at a minimum submit it for EI.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Started unboxing everything and putting them in the tote that the kit will live in when finished. Just to get it out of the cardboard box my wife wanted out of the house. LOL

I'll be starting with the calves as they are one of the parts on my ATA kit that are just too small for me. I can't keep them secured currently. We have a big Con troop in two weeks and I want to be able to wear the TK, so I'll start there. Hopefully I'll have a few other part done as well. Thanks again to Dave Conklin from Dave's Darkside Depot for the new AM Armor. And @justjoseph63's flexible hand guards.

y4mFZq2vxMT47gGGajb5DdPBk1An8HuHtSAh93VZy4m7slVNekDis3gHQ5hc4PMgcE1J_t0f7FNxFNUmy4meeFCt0Ru0voMl9YZTCMaAvjh4V2ySdihkEitjy4mOzBDJuKWZuRaJGCkiMzGMBv0x34RygckcFWSfy4mbIWSpu5i6tq-xXvJ9cJfxZmqOLHp-wR1hGERiy4mFZbc-g1-vrL-BwYEHp3O-Xu288aWr5SCjLhJcy4mYSqMmfk6gvuHJZH5FhA9_nSzwZzBxoM6OdzJvy4mjlsKZLJHNdpUT1a_0T5XY6gSg-cZXzxNSw2Gi

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...