ESB E-11 can o' worms discussion

justjoseph63

Since I will be submitting my next set of armor (ESB) up for approval early next year once I move back to Florida, I decided to make my last E-11 into a promo version.  BUT....

in doing a ton of research, I have come up with a lot of questions re: the CRLs, screen caps and other references and would like to get some opinions before I "move along" and to clarify a few items for others who may be doing this build.  Allow me to explain:

Let's start with the L2 requirement: "Remove D-Ring mount

As seen in the first two images below, D-rings were present, but in looking at the 3rd photo the red arrows show that in fact the majority had none, that there were no front "disks" at the muzzle end and that most of them look to be the "promo" types with the greeblies on the scope rail.   Got it.. time to break out the Dremel and make some adjustments!

fqVqaYF.png?1  ENRN7et.jpg 

4y6IqFX.jpg

Another requirement is that Remove magazine housing parts

The only reference image I could find for this requirement are on the Pugman.  All other images show them present in one way or another.  Because of this fact I'm not sure this should to be a CRL requirement based on one particular type of E-11.                                

Pugman

dspYBY8.png?1  Za7FJ8F.jpg  ZsPqy62.png?1  HyWmGbA.jpg                       Xw1SNXl.jpg

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I hope someone with more knowledge of the Pugman than I have can step up and explain, but in addition to the absent magazine parts that particular scope is dissimilar to an actual M-19.  The end cap is much wider/thicker and the top profile is not the same.

o2bcMVx.png?1

I know it was created as a "background" blaster, but based on that distinctive scope it's profile gives it away, and I can't find even one screen cap showing one being used.

9GfYJLW.jpg  OzWDE5T.jpg  wTnmUEG.png?1  CnxdDMQ.jpg  

I don't know where this refence photo came from originally, but it also shows the front disc and D-ring.  :blink:

eYVHQhr.jpg

Those of you who know me are aware that I can get a bit OCD and I just want to get it right- so if anyone can provide any insight or opinions I would be most grateful!

52 minutes ago, Troopacoola said:

Which are you going to build Joseph? The hero or Pugman style?

Definitely will be going with the straight promo style as I just bought an M-19 tank scope.  All I have to do is grind down the muzzle tip, add a bit of bondo/clean it up and remove the D-ring mount.  I will more than likely remove the raised section (below) but will keep the triangle section behind it. 

RsR1G25.jpg

This is another reference presently in the ESB reference area that totally mystifies me:

qFWrRBX.jpg

It's a real Sterling, but not ANH (M-19 scope).

Scope is set WAY back.

Scope rail is "solid" but not like ROTJ.

Muzzle disk and D-ring/mount intact.

No ESB greeblies.

No T-tracks.. they are rectangular U shaped.

• 6 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, justjoseph63 said:

eYVHQhr.jpg

Sorry to gravedig this but I'm doing some research on ESB E-11.

If I remember correctly this is the blaster RS use to sell, putting the Pugman greeblies (from their cast) to a hero version.

Do we have any proof this is a reference from the era and not RS promo image? Do a blaster like that ever existed?

Edited by SithThundercracker
text was in the quote section

That reference photo (in my opinion) is not a screen used prop.  It's just too darned "unscathed".  Yes there is some weathering, but that appears to be paint.  I did not use this as a reference when building mine (seen below before weathering) because of the D-ring mount and muzzle front.

Uoqdtqg.jpg?2

Note, some images in that thread could be incorrect it was compiled from images posted in the ESB E-11 threads, many were broken links so it was a matter or saving an compiling, obviously its a bit hard to validate every image but if there are any suspicious/uncommon we can remove them so there is no future confusion :D 

Thanks for the reply guys.

So @justjoseph63 you went the same route: "hero" Sterling with greeblies. My main concern with this is that the Pugman had a fake scope rail with no "hole" below but the actual CRL for ESB Stormie, despite using a Pugman with the hole filled, is not mentioning that.

So, is this kind of blaster approvable?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hero" Sterling, Peter, but excellent point on the scope rail!  As far as I can tell, both types (metal rail/"filled" rail) were seen in ESB with pretty much equal screen time.  If one with a "filled" rail (Pugman type) came up for approval at Centurion level I don't think I would have an issue passing it as long as it did not have the D-ring (or mount), had the correct M19 scope, no front disc on the muzzle and the correct greeblies**

**Before I get a ton of PMs or comments on this, please note that the vast majority (Snowies excluded) of E-11s had the those strange greebs on the sides and scope rail.  Even though this is not specifically mentioned in the CRL, since they were on the majority of the weapons we would insist that they be present.