HOW TO: Fill Thigh Ridge Gaps

For those aiming for Centurion (or just looking to be more screen accurate) and have gaps in the lower thigh ridges, the usual way to fill them was ABS paste.  That method (although tried and true) can take quite a bit of time, uses acetone and has be sanded down and polished afterward.

Below is an alternative that should take less than 15 minutes and is super easy using a moldable epoxy called SUGRU (info. at bottom of this post).  It is permanent, flexible, keeps it's color, will adhere to almost any surface and clean-up is a breeze.

etVyXmi.jpg?3

For those in Australia, a similar product that can be used is Loctite Kintsuglue (white) available at Bunnings.  Link here.  Thanks to Glen @gmrhodes13 for the heads-up!

For this tutorial I will be using a mock-up of a thigh ridge as an example. ;)

Materials needed:

1.  1 packet of white SUGRU

2.  Small scrap(s) of ABS or any thin white plastic.                                     

3.  Small straight-edge knife

4.  Pliers (if using ABS)

5.  Paper towel

NOW LET'S GET TO IT!

Step 1-  Cut small shims as needed (photo 2) to cover the rear of the gap and give the Sugru something to adhere to.  If using ABS, I suggest popping the scrap in boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up and allow it to conform to the correct shape (photo 3).  This is where the pliers come in.  It does NOT have to fit perfectly.

Step 2-  After you have the right shape, cut it to fit (photo 4).

Step 3-  Glue it in place (photo 5).  CA (super) glue is fine for this as it will not be seen.  DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY TINY GAPS- the Sugru will fill them!

1                                                                                                                               3                                        4                                           5

M5yHz1a.jpg      fzpbakg.jpg  IqGnbQx.png    yl6on6S.jpg       VfZ0qIr.jpg

HINT:  Wash your hands before using this product so you don't discolor it while applying.

Step 4-  Roll a small piece of the Sugru into a strip (photo 6) and then press it firmly into place (photo 7) filling the entire gap (don't forget the back side).

Step 5-  Using the knife edge, cut off the excess at an angle (photo 8), otherwise you may remove some of the filled area.

Step 6-  Wipe the edges with a paper towel to remove any residue (photo 9) being careful not to touch the filled area.

6                                                           7                                                       8                                                        9

Jy8v7oy.jpg?2        zhfeNXo.jpg?2       DM7QJUl.jpg      uAWnwt3.jpg

DONE! 

That was easy, right?  Let it dry for 12 hours or so and you are good to go. :jc_doublethumbup:

Examples of filled gaps in screen used ridges

SAsVHGq.jpg?1  xpiaJMj.jpg?1  4oHj06f.jpg?1

SUGRU is available online or in many retail shops, but it is sold in sets of 3 packets- normally around $10.00.  If you just need one, I can send you a single packet for $3.00 (my cost) in the U.S. or  $3.75 outside the U.S.**  This includes postage!  PM me for details.

**Available in the UK in single packets for £3.15-  Link here.

A big shout-out to Ben @Ebio Amisi for this idea!  :salute:

• Like 7

For those aiming for Centurion (or just looking to be more screen accurate) and have gaps in the lower thigh ridges, the usual way to fill them was ABS paste.  That method (although tried and true) can take quite a bit of time, uses acetone and has be sanded down and polished afterward.

Below is an alternative that should take less than 15 minutes and is super easy using a moldable epoxy called SUGRU*** (info. at bottom).  It is permanent, flexible, keeps it's color, will adhere to almost any surface and clean-up is a breeze.

For this tutorial I will be using a mock-up of a thigh ridge, so bear that in mind

Materials needed:

1.  1 packet of white SUGRU

2.  Small scrap(s) of ABS or any thin white plastic.

3.  Small straight-edge knife

4.  Pliers (if using ABS)

5.  Paper towel

NOW LET'S GET TO IT!

Step 1-  Cut small shims as needed (photo 2) to cover the rear of the gap and give the Sugru something to adhere to.  If using ABS, I suggest popping the scrap in boiling water for a few minutes to soften it up and allow it to conform to the correct shape (photo 3).  This is where the pliers come in.  It does NOT have to fit perfectly.

Step 2-  After you have the right shape, cut it to fit (photo 4).

Step 3-  Glue it in place (photo 5).  CA (super) glue is fine for this as it will not be seen.  DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY TINY GAPS- the Sugru will fill them!

1                                                                                                                               3                                        4                                           5
M5yHz1a.jpg      fzpbakg.jpg  IqGnbQx.png    yl6on6S.jpg       VfZ0qIr.jpg

NOTE:  Wash your hands before using this product so you don't discolor it while applying.

Step 4-  Roll a small piece of the Sugru into a strip (photo 6) and then press it firmly into place (photo 7) filling the entire gap (don't forget the back side).

Step 5-  Using the knife edge, cut off the excess at an angle (photo 8), otherwise you may remove some of the filled area.

Step 6-  Wipe the edges with a paper towel to remove any residue (photo 9) being careful not to touch the filled area.

6                                                           7                                                       8                                                        9
Jy8v7oy.jpg?2        zhfeNXo.jpg?2       DM7QJUl.jpg      uAWnwt3.jpg

DONE!  Let it dry for 12 hours or so and you are good to go. :jc_doublethumbup:

Examples of filled gaps in screen used ridges

SAsVHGq.jpg?1  xpiaJMj.jpg?1  4oHj06f.jpg?1

*** SUGRU is available online or in many retail shops, but it is sold in sets of 3 packets- normally around $10.00.  If you just need one, I can send you a single packet for $3.00 (my cost) in the U.S. or  $3.75 outside the U.S.  This includes postage!  PM me for details.

A big shout-out to Ben [mention=39252]Ebio Amisi[/mention] for this idea!  :salute:

Thanks for the mention - this has made me rather proud! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great how to Joseph, should help many out.

For those down under looking for something similar to Sugru head to Bunnings 

Loctite 3 x 5g Kintsuglue - White $8.24

f5fa3e2f-14cc-4be7-b03f-de42af6dd7ce.png.ce21a6edf21e7e6967f2b4a59b799e32.png

OR

Selleys 50g Knead It Multipurpose Epoxy Putty $9.15 (note dries grey so will need paint added)

2e23386d-0821-45b5-870f-2527929f3c08.jpeg.a5d9abb17b708801d3c5521c626fa68f.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Great how to Joseph, should help many out.

For those down under looking for something similar to Sugru head to Bunnings 

Loctite 3 x 5g Kintsuglue - White $8.24

I added this into the first post in case someone doesn't scroll down.  THANKS!! :jc_doublethumbup:

If anyone has anything similar in a different country please let me know and I will add it in as well.