RS Props PVC Armour Crack

RageQuit

Hi,

Just found a small crack as per photo.

Am thinking of cutting a small piece of PVC, heating it to mould to desired shape and ES6000 gluing.

Is this the best method for repair?

Thank.

Rear-Upper-Armour-Crack-01.jpg

Edited by RageQuit

That's what I would suggest, Geoff.  Getting the curve right may not be the easiest thing to do but it should work fine.  If you feel up to it, posting up a few photos of the process and end result would be great and could very well help someone out who has the same issue! ;)

• Like 1

Marked the inside of the armour to show where the crack is, used a heat gun to make the 10mm x 20mm pic patch malleable, pushed it into place with a heat proof glove. It was pretty finicky to get into place being so small.

Give it 24 hours to dry - not the prettiest fix but hopefully will provide sufficient strength to stop the crack increasing.

Rear-Upper-Armour-Crack-02.jpg

Rear-Upper-Armour-Crack-03.jpg

Rear-Upper-Armour-Crack-04.jpg

• Like 1

I just repaired a couple of small cracks on my RS PVC armor using JB Weld Marine Epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50172-MarineWeld-Adhesive/dp/B00R2CDVIW/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=jb+weld+marine+epoxy+resin&qid=1639967273&sr=8-9

My cracks were in curves like yours, and in an area that is too tight to squeeze a piece of PVC into as a backing.  I built up some of the epoxy on the back of the crack and it seems to have solidified well.  Time will tell if the repair will last, but I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input

3 hours ago, robojoe said:

I just repaired a couple of small cracks on my RS PVC armor using JB Weld Marine Epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50172-MarineWeld-Adhesive/dp/B00R2CDVIW/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=jb+weld+marine+epoxy+resin&qid=1639967273&sr=8-9

My cracks were in curves like yours, and in an area that is too tight to squeeze a piece of PVC into as a backing.  I built up some of the epoxy on the back of the crack and it seems to have solidified well.  Time will tell if the repair will last, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks for your input robojoe, I will most definitely keep your solution in mind - JB Weld is an awesome bonding agent.

I will now end up checking over my kit after every troop to catch any cracks - my previous TX was 3d printed and kinda bullet proof - PVC being thinner and more flexible warrants ongoing maintenance I think.

Edited by RageQuit

I like to use "poor mans fibreglass" for repairs.  It's quick and very solid. I try to tack the fabric in place first with a few dots, then once happy flood it afterwards.  Don't be tempted to use accelerator though, it can yellow the armour.

32600697854_205438baaa_o.jpg

• Like 4