Help with DLT-19

Howdy.  I purchased a 3D printed kit for a DLT-19.  The wooden rod, which I am replacing with almuminum tubing, has a PVC tube that supposedly is to help support the barrel from the inside.  However, the diameter of this tube is quite smaller than the diameter of the inside of the barrel, and it seems it will be useless as support from inside the barrel.  Should I use some kind of other material to wrap around the PVC tube that will help it to support the barrel?

I'm a novice builder, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1111.jpg

11111.jpg

111111.jpg

Personally I would try to find a piece of pipe which fits a little better. You may even be able to find a tube that goes between the two.

But if you go with what you have it really depends on how much of a gap there is, I have used strips of plastic sign to take up some slack in pipes before, you could also add some glue, depends if you want to add electronics as it's best not to glue so you can get access if you need to fix anything. 

Another fix you could wrap duct tape around in some areas until you fill the gap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally I would try to find a piece of pipe which fits a little better. 

But if you go with what you have it really depends on how much of a gap there is, I have used strips of plastic sign to take up some slack in pipes before, you could also add some glue, depends if you want to add electronics as it's best not to glue so you can get access if you need to fix anything. 

Another fix you could wrap duct tape around in some areas until you fill the gap.

That makes sense.  I want to use the same PVC because it has padding on the inside to make it fit snug over the support rod.  But, the more I look at the whole thing, I could use duct tape just on the parts that you can't see through the barrel holes.  I was worried it would look bad, but there are sections where there are no holes to see through the barrel where I can put the tape without it showing.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I might not be understanding you correctly, but the “support” piece is the dowel or in your modification the aluminum rod. The PVC is not a support piece but the actual barrel of the weapon which sits inside the barrel shroud (that is the printed piece in your pic above). Depending of the design of your print, the end of the PVC pipe should insert maybe 1/2” - 1” into the main body of the DLT19 and the also into the tip of the muzzle on the other end. The rod/dowel that sits in the PVC pipe usually runs from inside the muzzle, through the PVC and extends into the stock. That is what strengthens the prop.

Your PVC pipe looks a bit thick so maybe it’s not able to go into the muzzle or main body. I used a 1/2” copper pipe instead of PVC with the dowel running through it and had no issues with fit, but again your design may be different.

Do you have shots of the muzzle and main body where the dowel inserts?

Ideally there should be a space between the shroud and the "barrel" (PVC pipe), but as Dennis mentioned the PVC pipe probably won't fit into the body or the tip of the muzzle.  Being flexible, the pipe won't offer much support (trust me), but you may be able to find an aluminum pipe or even a wood dowel that will fit inside it snugly and extend beyond the PVC that will add some strength.

p80WJMC.png     ITJA3rq.png?1

"I could use duct tape just on the parts that you can't see through the barrel holes.  I was worried it would look bad, but there are sections where there are no holes to see through the barrel where I can put the tape without it showing."

Because the holes in the DLT shroud are larger than those of an E-11, the T-tracks will only cover them partially, so be careful what you use so that it can't be seen.

Side note:  Depending on how detailed you want to get, note that in the screen used examples below that wire was used to hold the T-tracks in place. ;)

IWfq8jM.png?1 FGnRRRS.png?2  SDpHQiL.png?1