fishgoh0nk's TLJ Build Thread (KB Props)

fishgoh0nk

Today was BBB day! Well, it was actually yesterday, but I had not had a chance to take photos.

Y4b4S6s.jpg

Still in search of a baton, but the shield is a nice addition, had to get one.

Cq0IIbA.jpg

Pauldron - Looking for festive additions, why not go the full gamut!

KBb4PXu.jpg

F11D 3D print. I think all the pieces are here, will have to confirm with some research.

y0T9yuX.jpg

And what we've been waiting for, the coup de grace!

bzm022S.jpg

I believe I have all the torso and belt boxes; after inventory I noticed I am missing Left and Right glove guards, the thermal detonator, slim shin boxes, holster and KB pointed out decals. He was very responsive and said he'd get them to me.

Overall; very impressed with the pulls - the 2 ridges on the chest plate appear to be very deep and extremely separate - I'll soon be asking if I do need to modify this in any way to L2/L3? If so, I plan on cutting out the line rather than cutting apart the chest so i can leave the return edges alone.

Also curious as to whether or not I can complete the suit without a complete repaint with bondo. I'm going to try a minimalist approach, some putty/fillers and a airbrushed to match... I really like the sheen, could use a polish, but I'd prefer naked ABS

WhSgFUL.jpg HAfjXMJ.jpg

I may not start the build right away, likely in a few weeks, but I'm sure the build gods... ahem, admins... will be watching and helping me along then.

I guess it'll be good to put where I'm sourcing the soft goods from:

Gaskets, harness, neck seal, shiny shorts - GeekyPink's

Boots - Imperial Boots

Gloves - (likely Endor Finders)

Belt - Might try to tackle this from scratch

Pouches - Might try to tackle this from scratch

17 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Overall; very impressed with the pulls - the 2 ridges on the chest plate appear to be very deep and extremely separate - I'll soon be asking if I do need to modify this in any way to L2/L3? If so, I plan on cutting out the line rather than cutting apart the chest so i can leave the return edges alone.

Also curious as to whether or not I can complete the suit without a complete repaint with bondo. I'm going to try a minimalist approach, some putty/fillers and a airbrushed to match... I really like the sheen, could use a polish, but I'd prefer naked ABS

No you don't have to do anything with those ridges for L2 or L3

Unfortunately the whole armor needs painting due to the addition of bondo in quite a few places. I doubt you will be able to touch up and match the look over some of those areas to give a nice final finish but worth a try I guess

• Like 1

Had a chance to review accuracy for the bucket - I think I need to make a few mods, some of them seem easy, but the hardest one will probably be the frown. I'll be using milliput to do some resculpting. Hopefully the resin is thick enough for the shaving off of the ears. Here's my proposed changes.

Let me know if I'm crazy or if I should leave good enough alone. I've overlayed some sample pictures from a on set movie prop.

Thinking about shaving off some of this ear to make it flush like it would be...

sBBJip9.jpg

The ear trapezoid is way too big, thinking about filling this up and resculpting

VqQKh8d.jpg

I used some photoshop distortion to get the right angling, but I can tell the frown's a bit off - this is probably the scariest one.

0pCYVTC.jpg

7edpJ61.jpg

For the frown, I can likely reshape, sculpt, and leave an opening behind the teeth for a hexagon screen.

1 hour ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Let me know if I'm crazy or if I should leave good enough alone. I've overlayed some sample pictures from a on set movie prop.

I would leave it alone unless you really and I mean really really want to go full-accuracy, given if the discrepencies you pointed out are correct. I would send my GML pics of the helmet just to be sure and ask but I doubt it will be denied approval or even L2/L3 (Ask the DO:s about that) Good luck with the build :salute:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I would leave it alone unless you really and I mean really really want to go full-accuracy, given if the discrepencies you pointed out are correct. I would send my GML pics of the helmet just to be sure and ask but I doubt it will be denied approval or even L2/L3 (Ask the DO:s about that) Good luck with the build :salute:

Maybe you're right... I can try to do some modifications that's easy that might make me a bit happier - might widen  up the nose (noticed the opacity overlay between current and future)

@TheRascalKing has graciously allowed  me to borrow his TLJ black series helmet for side by side comparisons. I think I'll try to pick up a black series helmet in case I botch the KB lol

1UemOE4.jpg

Then maybe sand down the nose bridge so it's a bit narrower and sleeker than current. Hopefully there's enough material to work with to get the shape, otherwise it's patch and putty time lol

7UDqJRm.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I've been a bit overly critical of the bucket- when painted, it doesn't look too shabby - this is from KB's FB. I don't think I'll try too hard to shape the frown, probably just add some material at the ears and the nose while making the nose narrower. Pretty excited to get started on the build, just waiting on gaskets before I start trimming.

painted.thumb.jpg.1c67aa0036ae1f8ee48d3cd0e3442dca.jpg

Question about the Ab box; this image shows the decal placement as a hollowed opening, which is right?

AbBox.JPG.502d4fae183b9123b850bc3af1dd2005.JPG

Edited by fishgoh0nk