Voice amplifier sound issues

Good morning troopers

so I have a voice amp that isn’t a TRAMP but sounds tinny and a perfect movie accurate sounding unit (without the snap, crackles and pops) BUT!!…..…. when I use the unit bucket on the sound is perfect and I even got a ‘wow that’s so good!’

when I suit up I’ve tried the speaker in my chest and base of back, the sound changes and the tinny sound vanishes making it clearer so you just hear my normal voice!

im guessing my armour is working like a subwoofer box to the speaker, but I’m stumped where to fit the unit to prevent this without it being on show.

other than ‘buy a tramp’ does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I may buy the tramp next year but I personally don’t like the snap! Crackles! and pops!

Thanks in advance 

TK-84891

Ben

So I have recorded the sound via video both inside my chest and outside (in my holster) and they do sound very different.

I tried attaching the video files but they’re too large.

I have found having it in my holster sounds a lot better and tinny. When in my chest area it looses that tinny sound.

if any of you are on Facebook or something I could send you a clip of both as I’d love to hear your opinions. 

thanks again 

30 minutes ago, TK-84891 said:

I tried attaching the video files but they’re too large.

The best way I've used for this is to upload to YouTube and have them as an unlisted video.  If you then copy the link here it should auto embed if you use a browser (not tapa talk)

31 minutes ago, TK-84891 said:

I have found having it in my holster sounds a lot better and tinny. When in my chest area it looses that tinny sound.

Nope, you'll need to keep it hidden I am afraid.  Most people in the UKG have them inside the chest plate.

I don't have a tramp (too spendy for me) but after a few options I've ended up with just a speaker in my chest and a mic.  I don't worry about effects as they always ended up being more trouble than it was worth.

Sounds like it's definitely being trapped behind occlusion, being muffled by the armor. Kind of like talking while smothered by a pillow.

I don't think there's an easy way to fix this since there aren't many places you can hide a large speaker on a TK.

If I absolutely had to have the speaker on my body rather than my helmet, depending on the speaker size, I would try to hide it in my thermal det or in my ab plate. I would find a place that has the most room away from my body to place it. I might as go as far as to drill holes in the armor, cover the holes from the rear with white fabric, and then place the speaker behind that- but this obviously depends on how comfortable you are with your own work and CRLs/accuracy.

If that's too much work, you can use an @ukswrath hovi tip mic system. It's pretty tinny since it's exposed and comes from your helmet. This is what I use. I use a different mic that comes with the system so I can mount it to the helmet, so I had to make modifications to reduce feedback. But the mic that comes with it works great with the system as is.

If you're currently using an AKER, the TRAMP wouldn't help you as it's basically the same output hardware/speaker. from what I know, the TRAMP just has extra sound and volume, but muffled sound is still going to sound muffled.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Sounds like it's definitely being trapped behind occlusion, being muffled by the armor. Kind of like talking while smothered by a pillow.

I don't think there's an easy way to fix this since there aren't many places you can hide a large speaker on a TK.

If I absolutely had to have the speaker on my body rather than my helmet, depending on the speaker size, I would try to hide it in my thermal det or in my ab plate. I would find a place that has the most room away from my body to place it. I might as go as far as to drill holes in the armor, cover the holes from the rear with white fabric, and then place the speaker behind that- but this obviously depends on how comfortable you are with your own work and CRLs/accuracy.

If that's too much work, you can use an @ukswrath hovi tip mic system. It's pretty tinny since it's exposed and comes from your helmet. This is what I use. I use a different mic that comes with the system so I can mount it to the helmet, so I had to make modifications to reduce feedback. But the mic that comes with it works great with the system as is.

If you're currently using an AKER, the TRAMP wouldn't help you as it's basically the same output hardware/speaker. from what I know, the TRAMP just has extra sound and volume, but muffled sound is still going to sound muffled.

Hey thanks for your feed back, there is no way I’m cutting holes in my beautiful armour haha but thanks for the tip.. if I’m honest I think it’s just the unit I’m using posing a problem so I will go get an Aker and fit it behind the chest plate it works for everyone else so it’s gotta for me lol 

I like the set up you are using but I think that will be an upgrade at a later date.

thanks again! 

16 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Vaguely where in the UK are you?
If I can I'm happy to pop over to bring my setup for a side by side comparison and then work out how to get yours working.

Hey.. I live in Hemel Hempstead Herts.. I think I need to just buy an Aker and stop messing around with these cheaper ones. 

• Like 1

I'm in Cambs, so not a million miles away.
If you want to be sure before you spend any money I'm happy to pop over.

I have an aker and a tramp, so you can try out both alongside what you currently have to see the difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

I have an aker and a tramp, so you can try out both alongside what you currently have to see the difference.

2 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Cheers mate but I think I’m there now.. I’ve put an extra couple of mic foam tips over the end of the mic, I’ve attached it facing outwards to the chest plate and I’ve just done a few hours dress rehearsal playing with it and I think it sounds good enough now.. I’ve attached a link to what I recorded to see what you think. It sounds better when here but I think you’ll get the gist 

appreciate the offer tho. 

• Like 2