Doggydoc’s AP ANH stunt build

Doggydoc

Adding a piece of foam behind the ab plate can take up some of the slack when you tighten your belt.

Some add a tab locking system to the ab/kidney, I'll see if I can find the threads when I am back on computer ;) 

• Like 1

Very neat in there, I think that's the first time I've seen 4 fans, I normally add 2 and only use one at a time. 

Did some work with my thighs.

having larger things, there was a gap at the top in the back once I got them sized. The right thigh actually was wider once I actually had it taped properly to try and close the bottom.  

I used a piece of trimmed ABS that was about the same thickness and placed it in the gap then marked it with a pencil and trimmed it.  

‘’I then placed a fairly thick cover strip over the gap and glued it and the gap insert using E6000.  After 24 hours, I placed the outer cover strip on.  To try and get the cover strip straight and centred at the bottom, there would have been a very thin edge to glue on the outer side.  This allowed more area to glue the outer cover strip down at the top.

MMYvnVg.jpg?1

Khfz3ac.jpg?1

c7K1wr4.jpg?1

VkyOaay.jpg?1

• Like 1

Nice work on the shim, you are unfortunately still showing a ridge on the top left of the thigh. A couple of things you could do, fill this line with ABS paste, move the coverstrip to cover it OR use slightly bigger coverstrips which is allowable at any level

thigh.thumb.png.dfac7b50e2282c432b4aeaa283264d94.pngVkyOaay.thumb.jpg.ec610329cd6bad6603fadaf051543f24.jpg

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A couple of things you could do, fill this line with ABS paste, move the coverstrip to cover it OR use slightly bigger coverstrips which is allowable at any level

Thanks. 
I was figuring that  I would likely do the ABS paste on it. 
If I do move the cover strip over, it won’t be centred on the bottom where the seam is.  While writing this, I am realizing that I will fill any seam with ABS paste anyway and likely will be cutting most of it out for mobility cuts. 

Should the cover strip be centred regardless? If so, a bigger one will likely be needed then. 

3 hours ago, Doggydoc said:

Thanks. 
I was figuring that  I would likely do the ABS paste on it. 
If I do move the cover strip over, it won’t be centred on the bottom where the seam is.  While writing this, I am realizing that I will fill any seam with ABS paste anyway and likely will be cutting most of it out for mobility cuts. 

Should the cover strip be centred regardless? If so, a bigger one will likely be needed then. 

If you look at were your coverstrip is now it's not centered to the lower ridge, here's a straight line following the ridge middle

straight.thumb.png.f3995b0192c438577da336e2d76d558e.png

But ideally the front and rear coverstrips should be aligned centered when worn, something you may want to check before making up your mind ;) 

OM8u0Yw.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

Did some work on the ab buttons and made the belt for the thighs today.

xqPXtAb.jpg?1

KOmHVaP.jpg?1

KqZAird.jpg?1

Nice work. Just make sure your clips aren't seen when worn, I tend to wear my belt a little higher so mine aren't seen, braces help with that ;) 

• Like 1

You might want to replace those clips with longer straps with snaps on the ends. I have double snap plates E6000'd into the inside of my thighs and snaps-on-straps velcro'd to my belt. The strap length is about 6" total to get the snaps a little farther down the armor and not have an end peeking out.

Don't get me wrong though. Looks like a great belt! And some fine paint work.

-edit-

heh, Glen beat me to it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Glen and Adam. I was wondering if the clips may be a problem or even the strap pulled back through the buckle.  I will kit up once my thighs are done and see how things sit.

• Like 2

Redid the cover strip on my thigh. Thanks @gmrhodes13 for the eagle eyes. I think it looks much better. 

I am noticing that you see small errors much easier on the photos than you do when you look with your eyes. 

iQHPmHe.jpg?1

• Like 4

I have been working on the joint between my ab plate and kidney plate for the past week or so and have finally completed it.  This modification locks the 2 pieces together so there is no overlap or shifting when the belt is placed and tightened.

Outside views from the left and right

5bqK3pb.jpg?1

gR4ClUE.jpg?1

Inside views while locked in place.  Lots of extra snaps that I likely will remove as they are no longer needed. The left side needs to keep the snap straps clear of the hinge area to allow it to move.  I am waiting on new snaps as I went through my package of 100 so the left side ones are repurposed shoulder snaps that are a close but not perfect fit.

Right side

PAVlN20.jpg?1

Left side

mquaJ8p.jpg?1

Right side detail shots

I used spare cover strip material and stacked it 3 layers and put the tongue and groove in the middle layer. The bracket is glued with CA glue and the entire system glued to the armour with E6000

RNBf8HE.jpg?1

48aHTNO.jpg?1

6I9XRdh.jpg?1

jzTTUDD.jpg?1

Left side hinge mechanism.  Again 3 layers of spare cover strip material bonded with CA glue and attached to the armour with E6000.  
y5WDhIg.jpg?1

e1wFtGJ.jpg?1

sQbgA9t.jpg?1

VVIgJqk.jpg?1

WecVUes.jpg?1

• Like 1

Very nice work there. 

You may find the webbing a little restrictive, I find elastic just gives you a little wiggle room when bending (and acting like a fool :D ) See how you go when you are fully kitted up and out there trooping :duim:

• Like 1

VERY nice side latch method!! That should be very secure and always align itself nicely.

One thing you might do is swap out the strap in the middle of your back-to-kidney seem with an elastic one. The outer two can remain nylon, but that middle one really wants to have flexibility. It'll pop free otherwise. 

89400-cent-18.jpg

That's mine. It's REALLLLY hard to tell that the middle strap under the OII is elastic, but that's what I have. The two ends have some spare plastic sandwiched in between for strength. All the other straps are nylon.

• Like 4

Well yesterday was EBBB day (Empty Big Brown Box Day).  I now have everything out of the box and am in the final stages of the build.  So excited.

I have been working on my shins, thigh ammo belt and sniper knee plate (that was fun. Sheesh).  I have started doing the reinforcement strips for the shoulder bridges as well.

Left to do:

Finish Shoulder bridges

Rear cover strips on lower leg armour

Thigh garter system (the clips are too low - will likely do Velcro or may make suspenders)

mobility cutouts on legs

ABS paste gaps in thigh armour. 
Elastics from biceps to forearms

shoulder to biceps strapping

Please let me see if you see any issues.

ZTrMHJB.jpg?1

QxwLojD.jpg?1

GGDxie9.jpg?1

OYioHxn.jpg?1

FRJjK66.jpg?1

FkKRtkw.jpg?1

DXiPykj.jpg?1

n2JHhQ1.jpg?1

jItX1mo.jpg?1

y3xDIUp.jpg?1

sQsvtp6.jpg?1

EZmA2ce.jpg?1

Um637lZ.jpg?1

Edited by Doggydoc
Added to do items
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Doggydoc said:

Is it suggested to put a drop of E6000 or Velcro  on the thigh ammo pack to keep it attached to the thigh?

I add some to mine, it can slip down if only using the rivets to hold

• Like 1