My Bad Batch TK Project

Hi all...my first time majorly posting on here (hope I got it right) but wanted to share my project.

I think we've all seen them on screen and I know thoughts about their look are mixed, but to me the TK seen in the episode looked pretty rad. So since I print a lot of helmets for myself I bought a print file from mcflyprint3d and got to work.

It was a pretty fun project and came out better than I expected. I'm now in the process of working on the armor file provided by mcflyprint3d. I've also printed out the animated version of the DC-15S from Galactic Armory that we see them using in the episode.

This is my first time trying to print/build an entire kit...I''ll be sharing my progress as it comes along, and welcome any feedback.

From start to finish

fdeEo5J.jpg?1HjE17Qo.jpg?2

lOjWDRl.jpg?1V1ouHkQ.jpg?1

FrxePSj.jpg8f0Q3Wd.jpg

To the finished product

E1MNRUG.jpg?1FaWx59e.jpg?1

Currently on the printers

aPi2ZLA.jpg?1

Totally hope this works out.

Edited by Tanz
  • Like 3

As I mentioned previously I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress, I've got itchy fingers and keep looking at the files :laugh1:

Good luck with the build, if it's anything like your helmet builds this isn't going to take you very long ;)

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind I stalked some of your social media photos and done a little review, I found a few things which are a little off with the files, thought I'd mention now before you go too far, I've also reached out to the designer as I have in the past with some helmet details which he addressed, it's a bit difficult having to use Google translate so I hope it's readable for him, (I only know cooking and bad words in french:laugh1: ), I've not had a reply as yet.

Some comparisons and a few things I've noticed

Angle of backplate also appears the backplate sits a little low on the back.

Arm opening is quite large, also square on lower back corner.

Angle of the join between chest and back plate lower sides

Also angle of the lower sides of the chest and back plate. 

Detail lines on side of ab should be angled.

I've mentioned the chest/back and the abdomen would be great if these were separated to allow for bending.

I'm also looking at the angle of the belt on the sides, I would think the ab would also need this angle so the belt would cover it fully

areas.png.6996ba68fcc4c9fcbeb2b1f7ca4c315f.png

15 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hope you don't mind I stalked some of your social media photos and done a little review, I found a few things which are a little off with the files, thought I'd mention now before you go too far, I've also reached out to the designer as I have in the past with some helmet details which he addressed, it's a bit difficult having to use Google translate so I hope it's readable for him, (I only know cooking and bad words in french:laugh1: ), I've not had a reply as yet.

Some comparisons and a few things I've noticed

Angle of backplate also appears the backplate sits a little low on the back.

Arm opening is quite large, also square on lower back corner.

Angle of the join between chest and back plate lower sides

Also angle of the lower sides of the chest and back plate. 

Detail lines on side of ab should be angled.

I've mentioned the chest/back and the abdomen would be great if these were separated to allow for bending.

I'm also looking at the angle of the belt on the sides, I would think the ab would also need this angle so the belt would cover it fully

areas.png.6996ba68fcc4c9fcbeb2b1f7ca4c315f.png

That's cool man, and thanks. Yeah I had seen the difference in the photos and was wondering about the file. The angle of the belt also had me thinking.

Cool you reached out to him. I always talk to him through Instagram DM. So I'll send him that pic of the sides. Yet if there's other information and he doesn't get back to you let me know.

I had sent him the pic of my test fit and he's offered to make any adjustments to his file since he's wanting to make his pretty spot on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanz said:

That's cool man, and thanks. Yeah I had seen the difference in the photos and was wondering about the file. The angle of the belt also had me thinking.

Cool you reached out to him. I always talk to him through Instagram DM. So I'll send him that pic of the sides. Yet if there's other information and he doesn't get back to you let me know.

I had sent him the pic of my test fit and he's offered to make any adjustments to his file since he's wanting to make his pretty spot on.

Great he's happy to update. I think the only thing I didn't mention was the belt angle and longer abdomen so perhaps mention those to him as well

Been back and forth with the designe over the last couple of daysr, looking much better now. Also had him bring the detonator in closer and add a missing detail on the top

received_264755815599038.thumb.webp.e3d12ec06485bcf2afb04a5b0d3e05e2.webp

• Like 1

Well, a super big thanks to Gmrhodes13 for providing the file maker with information to help update the armor file for better accuracy. Also to Mcflyprint for being totally down with making any necessary adjustments. His files just getting cooler and cooler.

So after going over the new files its time to put two of my four printers are back to work. Did a test print strip on the ab section after tinkering with it on Armorsmith, and all seems good. I guess I'll have to see what the morning brings.

ycsWNvE.jpg

no8aDOq.jpg

u0EgOi5.jpghttps://imgur.com/u0EgOi5gur](https://imgur.com/TkXRQsZ)

I totally hope this project comes outs as cool as I'm imaging it :lol:

Edited by Tanz
  • Like 1

Got a newer update for the abdominal section since the original had an issue. Now back in Amorsmith seeing how things fit.

Now the only issue I have with the program is that other builder have told me NOT to make a part completely cover a body section with a piece of a kit; saying that it will print far too large. Telling me that I should allow some of the avatar to show through.

So back to printing fit strips for the sections and see how this goes.

NcWIfgj.jpg

woiaglz.jpg

ig6UVVQ.jpg

Now to print the Ab section again. That part is always the key to all the other parts. If it comes out great I'll post the updated print:duim:

Edited by Tanz
  • Like 2

To me they look a little big but I've never used Armorsmith, printing test fitting strips sounds like a very good idea and would hopefully save a lot of wasted filament. 

Looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

Wow, how did I miss this thread.

Great work Lando, and also very exciting.

Are you hoping to build this and create to a level for potential 501st approval?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

To me they look a little big but I've never used Armorsmith, printing test fitting strips sounds like a very good idea and would hopefully save a lot of wasted filament. 

Looking forward to seeing more.

Yeah...totally bigger looking. Why I do the test strips for the sections...sonif to small or big I can make the adjustments.

4 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Wow, how did I miss this thread.

Great work Lando, and also very exciting.

Are you hoping to build this and create to a level for potential 501st approval?

Hi, and thanks. Yeah this will be an interesting build.

I hope to be able to go for approval once done. Yet, build first then focus on that. Luckily the file make is more than happy to help with future adjustments if needed.

• Like 1

One of the problem areas of this costume was going to be the shins, trying to make them in a a way we don't see join lines, I asked Sebastian if he could make the inside of the shin removable, this would work in the same way as realistic clone shins and do away with any join lines down the front and back. All being well you should be able to get your foot through the rest of the shin, rotate and add the insert, either held with magents or velcro.

Clone insert on the rear following recessed lines

clonea25.jpg.e5e8e6a51e7a08d4860a9b30bdcc44d7.jpg

Bad Batch insert on the inside following the recessed lines. Hopefully there will still be enough recess still left when the insert is fitted, if not that recess will have to be lower.

254806683_610113370415422_6623212502833278878_n.thumb.png.3431673fefdf0307ef73460ceb9a4d49.png254905101_843145486360710_1864300719073880727_n.thumb.png.e344590cf49ff18ec08a25d9b5e402fa.png

When I showed Sebastian the idea I had the lip on the inserted piece and not the actual shin so it would slip behind but the way he has done it I presume should still work, I guess that leaves you with having to print a test shin Lando ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

One of the problem areas of this costume was going to be the shins, trying to make them in a a way we don't see join lines, I asked Sebastian if he could make the inside of the shin removable, this would work in the same way as realistic clone shins and do away with any join lines down the front and back. All being well you should be able to get your foot through the rest of the shin, rotate and add the insert, either held with magents or velcro.

Clone insert on the rear following recessed lines

clonea25.jpg.e5e8e6a51e7a08d4860a9b30bdcc44d7.jpg

Bad Batch insert on the inside following the recessed lines. Hopefully there will still be enough recess still left when the insert is fitted, if not that recess will have to be lower.

254806683_610113370415422_6623212502833278878_n.thumb.png.3431673fefdf0307ef73460ceb9a4d49.png254905101_843145486360710_1864300719073880727_n.thumb.png.e344590cf49ff18ec08a25d9b5e402fa.png

When I showed Sebastian the idea I had the lip on the inserted piece and not the actual shin so it would slip behind but the way he has done it I presume should still work, I guess that leaves you with having to print a test shin Lando ;) 

Oh that's rad looking!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Makes it way easier to get in those. I'll probably go with magnets or at least see how those work :)

• Like 1

Well, the updated Ab section came out good but I then noticed upon doing a fit test that I didn't lengthen the piece enough, even going off what armorsmith said. I did a reprint and it seems to have worked out this time to properly meet the back section. Had a small heat issue/clog while printing one section but easily fixable once the resin coating/filler/primer are on. Now to print the upper back section.

B6AlmRp.jpgT2oDZFv.jpg

Hope this next print works out :lol:

• Like 1

Looking good. 

Sebastian added some magnet recesses to the shins, 2 at first with a tab at the top and I asked if he could add a couple more, they are only 2 x 8mm so not sure how strong they will be I normally use a little larger magnets. The other issue will be once there is some paint on both pieces how the inserts will fit, again its just a case of trial and error. 

254301582_782864285878708_936224998096194249_n.thumb.png.4bab829d20e3add4614afce70f81a60d.png 254301712_485397442632845_5016279372040443003_n.thumb.png.8b9a87b5dddd6b99ccbedce92f82276b.png

Extra magnets

255481749_223748996531931_2095212028784498154_n.thumb.png.510cb71d2b2520440cedb338e8473a2c.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good. 

Sebastian added some magnet recesses to the shins, 2 at first with a tab at the top and I asked if he could add a couple more, they are only 2 x 8mm so not sure how strong they will be I normally use a little larger magnets. The other issue will be once there is some paint on both pieces how the inserts will fit, again its just a case of trial and error. 

254301582_782864285878708_936224998096194249_n.thumb.png.4bab829d20e3add4614afce70f81a60d.png 254301712_485397442632845_5016279372040443003_n.thumb.png.8b9a87b5dddd6b99ccbedce92f82276b.png

Extra magnets

255481749_223748996531931_2095212028784498154_n.thumb.png.510cb71d2b2520440cedb338e8473a2c.png

Oh man that's pretty cool and totally helpful!

:jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Totally had to use a bungee chord to check these out. So here's the back and ab sections so far. I have to lengthen the ab section by half an inch to make it a bit more comfortable. Am looking to adjust that underarm section since that curve right now doesn't let me put my arm straight down if I can.

H5eb6jQ.jpg?1  cdMsxqf.jpg?1

WH5ZQ4Z.jpg?1  PZfseDl.jpg?1

The work goes on :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Awesome, starting to come together.

Thanks...it's getting there.

Just reprinted the abdominal section adding 1/2" to it length for a snug but comfy fit.

So basically no more donuts for a bit :lol:

Also reprinting the up left section of the back area, and starting the chest tonight once home from work.

This works out then I think the rest would be easier. Yet, not starting the legs until the file maker gets back to me with the new updates.

• Like 1

So I put the chest together and it seems to look good...but there is what I think a massive gap between it and my chest. If i angle it in more towards me then I open the bottom more and that side connection to the back will angle as well. I could try a heat gun to bend the top section back but that might just mess it all up. I'll toy with Free Form Deformation and see if that helps any. Yet, that can be tricky as well. Let's see what I can do :lol::icon_beg:

nffNhB6.jpg

hbWXZ7D.jpgizniSZj.jpg

Back later with the update.

That is a bit of a gap front and back, what is the gap like around your sides ab/kidney? Even the arm opening looks quite large

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

That is a bit of a gap front and back, what is the gap like around your sides ab/kidney? Even the arm opening looks quite large

The gap is due to me just putting tape between the front and back with no one to help me line them up.

The arm opening are big but that's due to that chest not being able to move back in an angle. I'm printing another chest piece right now where I manged to angle the top of the chest back, but will see how it goes.

Also the tape really doesn't help keeping it in place on me :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...