Potential new member in Wisconsin

GoBuckeyes

Wanted to reach out and first, introduce myself. 
I live in Wisconsin and been following the 501st for many years. Always wanted to be a part but with younger kids and life, the timing just didn’t worked out. Now that kids are in college and late high school, this has given me the ability to start!
Since I was old enough to walk I have always wanted to be a stormtrooper. I am an outside salesman in the sporting goods industry which I’ve been doing for 15+ years and do a small amount of travel in the Midwest and Nationally. 

With all that said I’ve researched and researched costumes for quite a few years on and off but finally settled on RS Propmaster for my selection. I am still a few weeks out before it arrives. My next reason for reaching out is just to get the ball rolling. I would like to entertain the heavy equipment route if anyone could point me in a directions to look at some good equipment.

Appreciate the time and hope to work with you in the future. 

Hello and welcome aboard, sounds like you have been doing your research.

A great resources thread which may be of help

Many of us make adjustments to our costumes so we can receive approval in different versions, there's not a lot of differences with some of the costumes only a few replaced pieces, in the case of HWT it's some weathering, pouches, pauldrons and of course a pack, most make theirs from scratch, some great builds here.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/86-hwt-build-threads/

Here is my recently L3 approved pack for reference. You may notice when comparing to others that a few pieces on mine are a little different in size to the CRL images, I went more off the game references rather than the general look of others approved packs.

oDKQzt8.png

There is some leeway when it comes to making the packs, general reference guide is here. 

Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the FISD and happy to hear that we have a new Heavy Weapons Trooper in the making!  Answering questions is what we do best, so always feel free to ask any you may have no matter how small.  There is a ton of information here to sift through, but we are here to help every step of the way!

Welcome to FISD Jeremy, you are in good hands here sir.

RS is great armour, so once your big brown box arrives it's time for you to start a build thread so the advice can flow.

Good luck on your journey.

11 minutes ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Question, do you guys put fans and any kind of voice communication device in your helmets? If there a few comfort features that I should be looking for, would love to know now. If there is, any way to point me in a direction to acquire these things would be great. 

Lots of different options.

I have two fans in my helmet, they are wired separately, only use one at a time and it's only to blow air across the lens. 

For voice modification I use an Aker Amp and a Icomm static burst unit.

Here's just a few threads you may find interesting

3 minutes ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Thanks 

:duim:

There's also a few here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/?tab=comments#comment-690980

Helmet/Bucket/Lid Interior

Helmet Fan Placement by RLH2515

What's in Your Bucket by Ragtooth

Helmet Interior Build by kamikaze

Helmet Internals Purchase Options by JZYL

TrooperTalk iOS App by BrinkHouse

Voice Changer Suggestions by nick007

Voice Amp System by JFarwell

iComm + Aker Volume by kaa1304

iComm Help by endy

iComm 3D Box Holder by Garbz

29 minutes ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Any opinions? Looks like I can go to ukswrath and get it all. Reading some of the links posted (thank you) it seems that there is a lot of different opinions but no real “clear” answers. 

So has anyone used all three Ukswrath voice, hearing, and cooling system?

There are so many threads it's hard to find exact ones, a few comments in these

Hopefully a few more may chime in, forum does get a little quite on the weekends so may take a day or two ;) 

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to FISD and the Legion.

So much has been said above that there's not much I can add.

I'm 'this' close to completing my own HWT (we seem to be a growing part of the legion!), so it will be great to see you go down that route, but whatever you decide remember to enjoy the journey as much as the end result.

Ask lots of questions, and post lots of pictures (it helps a lot, especially if you're having an issue). Using something like Imgur or tapatalk helps a lots for pictures. If you post direct to the forum you run out of space real quick.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and the pics from your first troop.

Rich :salute:

Question, do you guys put fans and any kind of voice communication device in your helmets? If there a few comfort features that I should be looking for, would love to know now. If there is, any way to point me in a direction to acquire these things would be great. 

Hi Jeremy,
Welcome to the FISD. Great choice RS for your armour. I believe they don’t put a grill behind the teeth in their helmet, so you will need to get some material to fit inside. This will help to hide your face on a troop. They don’t blackout the inside of the helmet either, so you may want to do this before fitting any fans or wiring in. I used 1 mm eva foam or you may prefer to paint black. A lot of new troopers ( me included ) tend to put too much padding in the top of the helmet causing it to sit too high off the neck. My advice is to not have any there and just have padding around the ears and back of the head, but it will some take experiment to find what suits your head. Aim to see out of the top of the visor rather than the middle or bottom and your peripheral vision will be much better. Fans are good idea to keep cool and keep the visors from steaming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the advice. I did get fans ordered!! I've read this is a must.  My goal is to get to the top! Looks like a lot of walking before I get running. Hoping to get to meet some of the members of my local garrison and get some more visuals! Pics are great but I am more of a hands on learner. I can sell the crap out of anything but making is not my strong suit. 

• Like 1

Ok, next question! I have been looking on here for where anyone may have found the MP-40 pouches. I see "how to build" but I think we have established I am not handy! Since I know this, I will just stay in my lane! Thought since I work in the sporting goods industry and this is exactly my area, it would be easy. Found some at www.sarcoinc.com part number MP4020 but I don't want originals. Was hoping to find someone that was replicating them. 

58 minutes ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Ok, next question! I have been looking on here for where anyone may have found the MP-40 pouches. I see "how to build" but I think we have established I am not handy! Since I know this, I will just stay in my lane! Thought since I work in the sporting goods industry and this is exactly my area, it would be easy. Found some at www.sarcoinc.com part number MP4020 but I don't want originals. Was hoping to find someone that was replicating them. 

https://trooperbay.com/sandtrooper-black-canvas-mp40-magazine-pouch-set

Lots on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mp40+pouches&i=digital-text&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Also on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363575661538?hash=item54a6cc53e2:g:-IkAAOSwKNdhY6Z6

There are also some army surplus stores that sell them, a quick Google search should come up with some ;) 

https://www.ww2gear.com/p-42012-german-mp40-canvas-pouch-set-green-wwii-repro.aspx

You also see them pop up on MEPD from time to time

http://forum.mepd.net/

17 minutes ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Ok. Have a helmet question and need to know add pics. Says the file is too big. Most ppl use a link box. Anyone tell what the name is so I can see if I can find it?

thanks 

There is an image limit here on the forums, most of us use a free online image host Imgur, once your images are loaded there you copy and paste the links to your images directly into your post 

• 2 months later...

Next question! I finally got my RS armor. I need to do some adjustments. My first issue is the helmet. Going to have to paint the inside black. Second, the lens that came is not any good. Anyone know a good place to get a better quality? Also, needs a better type of padding, I’d take any suggestions here as well. 

7 hours ago, GoBuckeyes said:

Next question! I finally got my RS armor. I need to do some adjustments. My first issue is the helmet. Going to have to paint the inside black. Second, the lens that came is not any good. Anyone know a good place to get a better quality? Also, needs a better type of padding, I’d take any suggestions here as well. 

Painting the inside black does reduce light and the ability for people to see inside but it's not a requirement ;)

Green safety  shield screens work well 

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-S1035-Polythylene-Tinted-Shield/dp/B00YA27DRC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2T71ALI25UYPX&keywords=green%2Bsafety%2Blens%2Bshield%2Bwelding&qid=1642971298&sprefix=green%2Bsafety%2Blens%2Bshield%2Bweldi%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-2&th=1

51mIiiguY9L._AC_UL320_.jpg.b3c5fe6186de47df267e9f053c7e8269.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/S35120-Replacement-Shade-Visor-390/dp/B00B62BOK6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=97RELBCOAIRU&keywords=safety%2Bshield%2Bscreen%2Bgreen&qid=1642980004&sprefix=safety%2Bshield%2Bscreen%2Bgree%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-3&th=1

41HQXJkkfKL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.3b5c832bc2ebc51748dc4fe11bf39136.jpg

Some use aftermarket padding kits for their helmet padding, I just use foam, maple leaf for top and a 2 inch block either side so it holds to your temples so it doesn't wobble

fine. For the top I use 10mm soft foam, you don't need as much as the image below or your helmet will sit up too high and show a lot of neck

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Airsoft-Replacement-Motorcycle-Accessories/dp/B08YX68K96/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3DVJ4347CIXID&keywords=universal+helmet+padding&qid=1642973328&sprefix=universal+helmet+paddi%2Caps%2C592&sr=8-9

Screenshot_20210510-124951_Chrome.thumb.jpg.61c76cd13a7aea37935f7aff7764502a.jpg

1898853333_Screenshot_20210510-124629_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.44a51b0fa39e34044763fb1364228104.jpggallery_12157_59_69892.thumb.jpg.e54f7e9e77d290cc1f9e70f82e6fbaff.jpg

7Xy8rvp.jpg