ATA stunt helmet build

Cheeseballs

Love a BBB photo, how exciting.

Here are a few helmet threads that may be of help 

Good luck with the build

• Like 2

To cut out the eye, I made little holes in the corners by spinning an exacto knife.

ZyJtpCQ.jpg

then started cutting with it and a coping saw.

zjOKyYF.jpg
IhKvTBe.jpg
EBE9vMu.jpg

needs a lot of cleanup. I did try the score and snap method but I suck at it, and I’m not to good with a dremel, so I think this is the best option for me.

trimmed the top of the face

R0yRu1g.jpg

and the back

8M5d8kp.jpg

I’m too scared to try the bottom of the chin and the sides till I get some feedback lol.

Edited by Cheeseballs

Cut out sides

First started by making a hole with a knife

hh1fLWs.jpg
vNg2BVb.jpgZyLJWHn.jpgwfmpn2W.jpg

so three questions: how do the face and back join? Rivets? Or screws?And where are they placed? 

what screws are used for the ears, and how are they placed?

and how is the brow attached? Does it sit on top of the cap? Or does it slip on the edge of it? Is it slips on the edge of it, how do some helmets like the “move along” trooper’s have higher brows?

54 minutes ago, Cheeseballs said:

Cut out sides

First started by making a hole with a kni

so three questions: how do the face and back join? Rivets? Or screws?And where are they placed? 

what screws are used for the ears, and how are they placed?

and how is the brow attached? Does it sit on top of the cap? Or does it slip on the edge of it? Is it slips on the edge of it, how do some helmets like the “move along” trooper’s have higher brows?

1: I prefer nuts/bolts you can adjust then, rivets are permanent but usually are included with kits.

2: Ideally the placement of ears are shown in the images below, you trim your ears to match the helmet then add the screws, some helmets have some marks for screw holes but they don't always align that way:

The "ideal" ear placement is as seen below, where the screws line up with the rear angle of the trap right above it.  Because some armorers design their helmets differently or send them pre-assembled this is not always possible to achieve, but it is suggested that you try to get as close as you can.

Note:  Top ear screws should ideally be located directly below the rear of the trap.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

3: There should be little gap between the back and face plates, your brow trim should push between tightly and will stay there, if it's loose some use glue to hold it in place

This thread pretty much covers all your questions

• Like 1

Did a little fine tuning trimming, then attached the cap and face. started by marking the screw hole.

OLegymW.jpg

drilled it out, then marked through it to the second hole.

idQQxhA.jpg

then drilled it out and put the screw through both, and secured it with a nut on the inside.

A4jhkE3.jpg
2lmLhiO.jpg

did the same with the other side. Took a lot of finagling to get it to sit right. I did fitment with the brow on, a tip from pandatrooper’s tutorial. 
Here’s it together. I’ve only done two of the screws. Still gotta do the ones on the bottom.

3IZemHi.jpg

XfA3CWh.jpgcmAxCKw.jpg

without brow

rOpUSgl.jpg

Nice work on the painted mic tips, you may want to trim the bolts down a little, can interfere with microphone when putting helmet on and off.

Your bottom screws may need to be changed for smaller ones or put in a different spot, depending were your ears will cover, there's not much extra room under that area.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, references:

Note:  Top ear screws should ideally be located directly below the rear of the trap.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the ears. Oh lord I hope I never have to do that again.

For trimming, what I do is score, then make cuts with shears up to the score line so it makes sections of plastic, and snap those sections off. 
pElYWM9.jpg

and then there’s the pain of trying to get the shape perfect to the helmet.

made the marks

DlfXNpn.jpg

drilled the holes

QwdgLa5.jpg

and here’s it after installation

MDbc8qc.jpg
A3l0aIV.jpg

oZmHxqk.jpg
XIqMJP9.jpg
sqVBLX6.jpg
b9aGTE7.jpg
v7DtPsu.jpg

so that whole ear process was not fun, 0/10 would recommend.

also cut down the mic tip screws

https://i.imgur.com/UwD2dHe.jpg

Using some masking tape for the straighter lines can help, there are a couple wobbly lines on your traps, see how they look when you have cleaned them up

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A few of your lines are a little on the wobbly side and a little thick, I have found you can remove some excess paint with a toothpick or sharpened popstick or scrap plastic.

You may want to remove a little paint from the gums too

WO1owa1.jpg

Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area.

Some references to compare with what you have 

gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

DaveMANH02.jpg.4e6d260f1f13acc6fb49b5740194337d.jpg

DaveMANH08.jpg.9e3c739a626901b5c04c0a0dbf940aea.jpg

DaveMANH06.jpg.27104e0ddb904ff51e702495fd018ace.jpg

• Like 2

Hey trooper,

Sorry I’m so late to the thread.

If your helmet maker supplied two sets of ears, personally, I’d consider trimming the second set to about half the thickness and see how it looks.

Here’s some side-by-side photos to give you some reference:

Approx trim line in red

d8d8ac609406e030de93e0e7a5117564.png

721fdcbdf0b7daab28f471480b26a10c.png

It looks like your ears have a mould line in them where they would usually be trimmed;

233b934e6502b94cdf0ef36089cf95c9.jpg

As below, you have quite a bit of excess on the back&cap where it meets the faceplate. This might be keeping the two parts from butting up.

5ee747ca92438f0416c7fdba899815db.jpg

Just suggestions, so don’t feel you have to make these suggested changes, just maybe worth a go if you have spare ears. :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did some of the trimming suggested by @CableGuy 

Mso6hJd.jpg
1c63RYG.jpgkFsB1ic.jpg

the gap on this next one here was a little too big so I heat shaped the side of the helmet a little to minimize the gap

fTjRAVr.jpg
K4VUavs.jpg

Trimmed the neck hole a little too. Gonna need a new neck trim, I ripped it when pulling it off lol

tJSRXuM.jpg

Cleaned up the paint details a lot more, and added decal blue tube stripes got off of ebay

FzhCq89.jpg
uvsvU3J.jpg

G7WsFMz.jpg
jhOTbSj.jpg