New from Sweden

Came here because I love Stormtrooper but I'm also really bad at making a costume myself ;)

I'm a lot better at computers and electronics than I'm at bulding stuff like this.

So any suggestion on a nice armor that is not to far away from the movies but not as expensive as the ones licensed etc.

Thinking of the helmet "Star Wars Black Series - First Order Stormtrooper Electronic Helmet" and build an armor for that.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard. The Black Series First Order helmet needs a little work to get it approvable, a great thread by Chris posted only a few days ago 

For everything First Order head to the First Order Battle Group, you will find maker information in this thread 

Good luck with the journey and research

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD!

Research is indeed the key to this hobby. You generally buy armour in kits and assemble yourself but there are a few that will do commission builds at a cost.

The First order Stormtrooper is a reasonably involved build to  be honest, but you will indeed learn skills along the way and ultimately have huge satisfaction in assembling it yourself.

None of us knew how to build armour when we started and i promise the learning curve isn't a steep one, specially when you have the advice and support of many other members who have undertaken the same journey you are about to embark on.

Good luck with your research and always ask plenty of questions, we are here to help in every way we can.

Hello and welcome to the FISD!

As Syl said, building an armor is not that hard as you may think.

Research is the key, asking questions and doing patiently one step after the other. At the end of your journey there is a great armor you can be proud of. :)

18 hours ago, 1337 said:

Came here because I love Stormtrooper but I'm also really bad at making a costume myself ;)

I'm a lot better at computers and electronics than I'm at bulding stuff like this.

So any suggestion on a nice armor that is not to far away from the movies but not as expensive as the ones licensed etc.

Thinking of the helmet "Star Wars Black Series - First Order Stormtrooper Electronic Helmet" and build an armor for that.

I hear ya. I'm a Network Engineer and had no clue what I was doing, but I got with my local Garrison members and they helped me figure it out. It was a lot of fun learning how to build the kit myself, and it also gave me the skills to repair it if something breaks. I don't think the Black Series helmets are approvalable with out some work, but I'll leave that to some of the crew with more experience with FO TKs, I highly suggest meeting with some local folks and seeing if they can help you build. There are sever great vendors for armor list her on the forums.  I'd check out these to links for help.

1.  I want to be a Stormtrooper.  Where do I begin?  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

2.  Where do I buy armor?  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

2 hours ago, Novak Dimon said:

Hello and welcome to the FISD!

As Syl said, building an armor is not that hard as you may think.

Research is the key, asking questions and doing patiently one step after the other. At the end of your journey there is a great armor you can be proud of. :)

Hehe, you don't know me ;)
But beginning with this helmet would be a good starting point I think. Nice tutorial and you troopers are here to help when I crash ;)

BTW it would be fun to build a stormtrooper helmet with intercom when I'm flying my gyrocopter, I have one pair of DC One-X headset that needs to be under the helmet. Maybe I have to cast that helmet from scratch since it doesn't make sense to buy a nice helmet and rip out everything just to put the headset in...

As a person who was once ridiculed for telling the new boss "I built a computer over the weekend" I totally get your apprehension. But you can totally do this.  It might seem a little scary at first but you have plenty of us here to help you along.  All you need to do is start a build thread when you get your armor and post your progress. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hej!
Welcome to 501st and FISD.
It's really good that you're asking these questions before buying anything, as hopefully we can offer advice and guidance to get you where you want to be.
Not a great deal to add given what's already been said, but having said that....

If you haven't already you should look into joining your local 501st garrison. As well as us here at FISD you will find others there who can offer help, and you may have people local that can help with your build.

Don't by too worried about building it yourself. I know exactly how daunting it is when you get started, but as long as you take it slow, check all of your measurements at least twice, and ask anytime you're not sure you'll be fine. The sense of achievement when you pass clearance really is something else. The route you're suggesting may sound tempting, but if your goal is for accurate armour you could find it ends up being more work in the long run. Armour from different sources can vary in shade which can create problems (and look terrible). Just something to consider.

Whatever route you take, post lots of questions and pictures, and I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread and pics from your first troop.
Rich

Hi there and welcome. Can only reinforce what has been advised already. There’s plenty of info on where to buy your whole suit, and where not to as well. Stay away from eBay and Etsy and mass produced toy shop type vendors as a rule, it will save you money and time in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1