How big of cover strips are acceptable?

Hi Mike,

As a rule of thumb, front leg cover strips are 20mm wide approximately, you usually go a bit wider on the calves for the enclosure, say 25mm.

Now in saying this, if you can keep the front cover strips close to this , you can go wider on the back to try and cater for a wider girth. I know plenty of troopers who went with 30mm on the rear of the thighs because they needed a bit more. at basic i would be surprised if a GML pulled you up on something like that.

On the arms again try and keep the front close to or around 16mm which is very close to accurate, and again if you really need to slightly wider on the back.

• Like 1

You can also gain some extra space (up to 3/4" or so) if needed on the biceps, forearms and tops of the thighs by removing all the return edges.  Doing this is acceptable at all levels of approval and is screen accurate.

Screen used armor examples

nGfKhQA.jpg?1  Ek5Fge6.jpg?1              

One more trick is to add an extra wide interior cover strip first, leaving a gap that can be filled with a scrap ABS strip before gluing the outside cover strip on.

This is just an example, but you get the idea.

hds2Lho.jpg?1

Always feel free to ask any more questions you have... we are here to help!

• Like 1

The thighs are the problem, even with gaping the front 3/4” so I can cover with a 1” cover strip, I still have a 2” gap in the back. I don’t think a 2”+ cover strip will be acceptable or look good. Would I be better off shining the distance instead?

• Like 1

If you have the time. patience and extra material (ABS) that is certainly an option.  The overall look would be better, but there would be a substantial amount of work involved.  You would need to add a reinforcement shim on the inside for strength, fill the seam with ABS paste and them smooth it down and polish it.

HgPiBo4.jpg?1

I have seen this done before, and although it takes time and effort the results can be spectacular.  If you decide to go this route, I would suggest starting a dedicated thread... that way you can post up lots of photos and get advice at every step.  It would also serve as a reference for those in the future who have this issue and need help! ;)

2 hours ago, Necron said:

The thighs are the problem, even with gaping the front 3/4” so I can cover with a 1” cover strip, I still have a 2” gap in the back. I don’t think a 2”+ cover strip will be acceptable or look good. Would I be better off shining the distance instead?

Hi

Ultimately it comes down to your GML, however you are correct and a 2”+ coverstrip is not a good look so I would go the extra mile and shim regardles if your GML allows it or not. On a sidenote, I”m a GML and I would not allow it. Sounds harsh perhaps but that’s the hard fact, then I would of course assist the member untill the armor is approvable. 

• Like 1

Photos would help to give you a better solution.

If however you need to go really large and you have the raised ridges you would be better adding some shims on the sides rather than having the ridges wide apart with a central filler.

A couple of threads that may be of interest.

Raised ridges in this build