DocDan's FOTK Build (Back Stage Props)

DocDan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before but I made soft material pockets to go over all the separate armor pieces, a great way to reduce scratches and chips in the paint when transporting.

Just don't use black fabric as I did for my first set, I didn't realize the dye may bleed and ended up with some black marks on the edges, was buffed out with polish, a long afternoon that was Having labels on each pouch helps too ;) 

xmHWaOG.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before but I made soft material pockets to go over all the separate armor pieces, a great way to reduce scratches and chips in the paint when transporting.

Just don't use black fabric as I did for my first set, I didn't realize the dye may bleed and ended up with some black marks on the edges, was buffed out with polish, a long afternoon that was Having labels on each pouch helps too ;) 

xmHWaOG.jpg

Glen @gmrhodes13-

I was actually just thinking of something like this to place each piece in!  I'll start looking for things like this or material to make them with the labels.  Do you know if anybody actually makes them as a kit to purchase? Great idea for those of us that are anal and don't want our nice paint jobs damaged B) Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DocDan said:

Glen @gmrhodes13-

I was actually just thinking of something like this to place each piece in!  I'll start looking for things like this or material to make them with the labels.  Do you know if anybody actually makes them as a kit to purchase? Great idea for those of us that are anal and don't want our nice paint jobs damaged B) Thanks again.

I don't think anyone does a kit, luckily I did know how to sew, hey they weren't perfect but work well 

Sanded everything down to knock the high spots off of the primer. Washed everything down with a damp microfiber.  All ready to apply paint. I am hoping to do that on Star Wars day-how fitting!! :jc_doublethumbup:

RrlukFY.jpg

• Like 2

1500 is a nice smooth base normally used as a base for chrome paints, I normally just use 600 which is a little easier to sand.

Looking forward to seeing the paint applied

• Like 1

hace 4 horas, DocDan dijo:

Sanded everything down to knock the high spots off of the primer. Washed everything down with a damp microfiber.  All ready to apply paint. I am hoping to do that on Star Wars day-how fitting!! :jc_doublethumbup:

The moment of truth!!!;)

Awesome Daniel!!!:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Clear coat application…

Nk5X87s.jpg

xDnp8uP.jpg

JUbNtZx.jpg

5HPwFvr.jpg

VcqAvgA.jpg

5H2QJLQ.jpg

aSYioZr.jpg

Transporting home from the spray booth. I let it set up for about 24 hours.

ZCPbRSu.jpg

…all laid out in the garage to finish curing. I did purchase some Novus polish to perhaps make the sheen more uniform.

v9ddqj5.jpg

• Like 4

Depending on the paint I normally add a thicker final coat of clear, auto acrylic is good for this, helps settle some of the orange peal.

Does look very nice though, well done, almost there

• Like 1

Ok, more final detail work. Got the mesh and gaffer tape on the pills and the chest vent finished.

8wxE9nm.jpg

I added some decals to the vent to make it look a bit better with more depth…

csvUYoa.jpg

aXUjVz4.jpg

TPYfjTL.jpg

• Like 1

I chose to tape off areas I was going to glue after paint was applied.

qNm4WeV.jpg

Note the dots so I know the orientation of these greeblie strips ;) 

AkeqQsa.jpg

AzqMTbP.jpg

JhqAO5d.jpg

tYofJH3.jpg

AghT0RO.jpg

Decals, more difficult and more of them than I thought! I ordered these from Trooperbay and got the Anovos version. They seems to be fitting the BSP armor for the most part.

NOLIx0N.jpg

r2qLrgD.jpg

Edited by DocDan

12 minutes ago, DocDan said:

dGmFLMO.jpg

Could be my eyes but the top spat isn't split the same as the bottom spat, should only have one opening and that should be under the clip, both appear to be open towards the back, also the back seam is present in the references but glued closed, I guess if you could keep them completed closed it would be ok but the front under the clip should be able to open

References

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Could be my eyes but the top spat isn't split the same as the bottom spat, should only have one opening and that should be under the clip, both appear to be open towards the back, also the back seam is present in the references but glued closed, I guess if you could keep them completed closed it would be ok but the front under the clip should be able to open

References

Glen,

I was unable to make the rounded part where the clip is "open" without ruining the whole spat. It was the way the BSP armor was designed and if it were cut on the rounded part there would not be enough ABS to work/have the clasp to close.  I have spoken with my GML about this and he was fine with my fix. I do have that "noticeable seam" where you see it as it states in the CRL. I hope to use these for now then get another kit from Dino or WTF :rolleyes:

• Like 2