DocDan's FOTK Build (Back Stage Props)

DocDan

After reading/researching other build threads here, observing and talking to local garrison members I am starting one of these threads!  My first official build step (other than acquiring the kit).  

I just purchased a kit from a fellow garrison member here in VT who lost interest in the build :( .  The good thing is it is staying within our local squad and most of the trim work is done (only the belt, ab boxes and ankles left).  All the soft goods came with the purchase as well ;) .  The kit is from Back Stage Props, that I believe, has since gone out of business.  I have two other members @ShadyP here that bought this run a few years ago who I will be working with.  The known issue with this early kit is the lack of a return edge on the chest yoke.  I am in communication with a few vendors to see if I can get a replacement part instead of trying to build an edge. 

Here is what I have so far with a few pics:

Boots: Imperial Boots

Belt kit: Belts of The First Order

Pouches x2: Trooper Bay

Gaskets: Geeky Pink (he and I are are ironically close in size- 5'6" and slim)

Tactical vest

Gloves: Endor's (I think)

Under suit: UK Extreme Racing

Helmet: Anovos

QL1ffKj.jpg

"BBB Day" for me was the day I got to pick everything up from my fellow squad member!

LMx9EDE.jpg

Nice boxes of pre-trimmed armor :duim:

p1eh887.jpg

I started to lay everything out and label L/R

OAR2chn.jpg

Belt Kit

NowhUTk.jpg

Blaster base and shoulder bell hanger

GUhzVpi.jpg

Greeblies (I think everything is here?)

e2OTM5V.jpg

Gaskets

• Like 2

Tried the under suits on (3 came with the purchase).  I was surprised that I had to go with the XL size!  The sizing in the UK is obviously different than the USA.  Here is the obligatory pic of me in it.

DU5rs32.jpg

Tactical vest and the upper gaskets

315mKCx.jpg

• Like 3

I started some armor work today. I chose to work on the biceps as those seemed simple enough. I really do like this kit as everything is pre-shimmed. It went together nicely.

Test fit:

Ew29gCR.jpg

YGyLuSp.jpg

Tested like this and on me but they were to large and the gasketing could not reach all around the inside of the biceps. 
AchG6xe.jpg

I ended up trimming .25” off of each bicep and it fit better.

bzkdtbw.jpg

It should be perfect when I install the Velcro around the inside of the biceps.

KgKBJUL.jpg

gaAA2lc.jpg

0jCWzTQ.jpg

e8ik81B.jpg

Do the “small” greeblie clips get installed where the outline is on the biceps now?

Some great references in the gallery sections ;) 

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-rt-arm-

Some glue their clips prior paint some after painting, just depends on what paint you will be using and how it covers, I use automotive acrylic paint which dries quite quickly so very rarely drips in raised/sharp areas while enamel based paints take longer and you may find drip and run

• Like 1

Thanks @gmrhodes13 That helps. 

I took a good look at the gallery shots.  Am I  correct in assuming the "small" sized clips get attached to the biceps (1 each) and the forearms (2 each)?  The CRL only states "greeblies" and does not mention size.  The rest of the larger clips get attached to the thighs, ankles and spats-correct?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DocDan said:

Thanks @gmrhodes13 That helps. 

I took a good look at the gallery shots.  Am I  correct in assuming the "small" sized clips get attached to the biceps (1 each) and the forearms (2 each)?  The CRL only states "greeblies" and does not mention size.  The rest of the larger clips get attached to the thighs, ankles and spats-correct?

Small Clip Greeblies:  Biceps and  Forearms

Large Clip Greeblies: Thigs, Shins and Spats

• Like 3

Worked on trimming and sanding the edges on the shoulder bells...

vsZyJaO.jpg

I almost cut along the "straight line" on the bell extension bit and glad I did not as it would not have had the correct curve!

4EAD1zF.jpg

kM11UXi.jpg

Aziz9tc.jpg

55u7iCY.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve been working on the bracers all week a bit each night after work. ;)  Taped them up to do a mock-fit today. It felt nice to actually have something that I can wear :shok:

uJuiH8d.jpg

T29BSlf.jpg

They seemed really big on me and did not fit the circumference of the gaskets. With help from one of my GMLs, I decided to cut them down .25” on each side piece of both of the bracers.

eUZBnCX.jpg

p5VT3YD.jpg

f0xi4y0.jpg

By doing that, it made them a bit smaller and once the Velcro is attached to the insides I’m hoping it will be just right! All ready for glueing…

• Like 3

Worked on the hand plates

F0xbQ2v.jpg

uiEX2uI.jpg

Hmye44r.jpg

Should the indent above the index fingers be cut out or leave “as is” and use a decal?

LutmM62.jpg

nfAoTqd.jpg

These gloves have no velcro on top so I'll have to sew some patches on each glove.

Edited by DocDan
  • Like 1

Sanded all the edges on the shins.  Mocked them up for a test fit.

CNp2Awb.jpg

GkljBt5.jpg

I still have to do something with the spats as they are one piece right now.  I plan to cut them on the inside of the ankle where a "visible seam" is required. I want to get the shin glued up first then I'll know better how to size the spats. I will add velcro to my inside cut and add another piece of ABS and make that the point of adjustment.

sAnL1ak.jpg

H5MfXTv.jpg

They seem really big on my tiny legs!

X8RlZuo.jpg

• Like 1

Taped up and fit the thighs. They seemed to fit fairly good without much trimming down. I can lift my leg up with not much binding. 

sqVsNf8.jpg

I made some markings where the armor overlapped when fitted to my leg (leaving a bit of room for gaskets and under suit.

4sO7wTj.jpg

Right thigh

SMtqLlu.jpg

IUSVjPa.jpg

Left thigh

9nBYbBm.jpg

JtK1fl7.jpg

Once the seems are glued, I always like to run a bead down the inside seem using gravity to get into any gaps.

J3ZSlg0.jpg

Then I like to hit it with accelerator and use my compressor to blow some air over it to fix it instantly. In essence, it creates a plastic bead-weld down the whole seam

auqqE1W.jpg

Pk1EwtP.jpg

These look normal? I did not glue the insides. Do these get Velcro installed on the inside?

Edited by DocDan

1 hour ago, DocDan said:

These look normal? I did not glue the insides. Do these get Velcro installed on the inside?

Look normal to me.

large.star-wars-tfa-ep-7-trooper-1_23453

Thighs are normally glued, although they are seen coming apart in a few scenes, here's just one from TROS

leg.thumb.jpg.21a335f75120f9676c8398098cb3b6df.jpg

• Like 1

Tried on the girdle for the first time!

DZ1apB3.jpg

BAqw17r.jpg

xVBo0ZW.jpg

ivUcD2S.jpg

Finding center on the back and making a cut line. First going to glue the front and back together and work on the 7 boxes. Have to trim those and start contouring them. I have my nylon bolts.

bUNnrN4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, it’s been longer than I thought it would be being back here posting progress. I did get sidetracked dealing with pandemic related things at work and has taken a lot of time lately. I was able to work on my helmet, coating the inside with plasti-dip last fall. It really deadened the echo, plus it looks cool from below.

aGUQsfs.jpg
Masked up

znVo4RQ.jpg

Very shiny as it was being coated.

I next went “ahead” and worked on the bucket as I had finally attained all the electronics from Tony and Henry

jBibGHE.jpg

5k6GZ6j.jpg

I cut away the plasti dip anywhere I needed to apply padding or Velcro. I installed some of the black fabric over the vent holes.

XlCU4VP.jpg

Installed the foam blocks from Tony (Hope I did this correctly!)

SqDqxg4.jpg

installed the speakers next…

P5yoxbO.jpg

Foam insulation on top

4ssnt2s.jpg

I’ll install the usb power, amp and fans next…

• Like 1

Cutting the Plasti-dip away to make sure the adhesive adheres:

Ngvyy1O.jpg

DdTbnnn.jpg

The power pack I am using had this rubbery, non-slip coating on it.  Sanded it off a bit to make the velcro adhere.

y8q5EGl.jpg

INFQ8Kw.jpg

I also cut away where the fans will be mounted.

EkM7hNJ.jpg

T6ayypU.jpg

SwVQnET.jpg