Shiny trooper in NC

AndrewB

Welcome, Andrew!  When you say "discuss the kits" are you looking for an armorer/supplier?  We have a list of vetted (tried and true) suppliers which can be found here.  If you have any questions about a particular seller (or anything else for that matter) we are more than happy to help in any way we can, so ask away!

Just now, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome, Andrew!  When you say "discuss the kits" are you looking for an armorer/supplier?  We have a list of vetted (tried and true) suppliers which can be found here.  If you have any questions about a particular seller (or anything else for that matter) we are more than happy to help in any way we can, so ask away!

I just mean like help me figure out what I'm buying and make sure I don't forget something. I'm wary of buying my first kit and building it

If you are looking to join the 501st Legion and get it approved after completion (so you can get out and troop with others), I highly suggest using one of the vendors on that list.  Yes, there are sellers on ebay and such, but most of those are just glorified Halloween costumes, nowhere near screen accurate and not approvable in most cases.

Is this an inexpensive hobby?  Not by a long shot, but you are definitely in the right place, though!   There are other sites (FB, etc.) that discuss this subject, but we are "Stormtrooper Central"... the TRUE home of shiny white armor!

With us, you have hundreds of folks who have been-there-done-that and are more than happy to answer any questions and offer solid advice from beginning to end, so never be shy about asking us about anything.  It's what we do!

It will also help if you sign up and introduce yourself at the Carolina Garrison site (link here).  There are always a ton of events up in NC to attend once you have your kit approved.

2 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

If you are looking to join the 501st Legion and get it approved after completion (so you can get out and troop with others), I highly suggest using one of the vendors on that list.  Yes, there are sellers on ebay and such, but most of those are just glorified Halloween costumes, nowhere near screen accurate and not approvable in most cases.

Is this an inexpensive hobby?  Not by a long shot, but you are definitely in the right place, though!   There are other sites (FB, etc.) that discuss this subject, but we are "Stormtrooper Central"... the TRUE home of shiny white armor!

With us, you have hundreds of folks who have been-there-done-that and are more than happy to answer any questions and offer solid advice from beginning to end, so never be shy about asking us about anything.  It's what we do!

Cool:) I've met a few 501st in GA when I attended dragoncon. I'm thinking about going Ata works but I've never built a kit before so wondering if there's anyone near me that could assist me when my BBB day comes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndrewB said:

I'm thinking about going Ata works but I've never built a kit before so wondering if there's anyone near me that could assist me when my BBB day comes

It takes time and patience to build a set of armor, but there are literally hundreds of tutorials here (and us of course) that will make it easier.  ATA makes an AWESOME kit, so you are on the right track.  Some areas have "armor parties" to assist folks with their builds, but Covid has unfortunately put a hold on those in many places.  

Once you choose your armorer and order your kit, I would suggest looking at some of the build threads (link here) to give you an idea of what to prepare for.  You should also start collecting the supplies you will need.  I have a thread on that here, and I have some tutorials that will help under my avatar below.

Once BBB day arrives, I HIGHLY recommend starting your own build thread.  That way, you can ask all the questions you have as well as post up lots of photos (we LOVE photos) of your progress and any issues you may come across. 

To paraphrase a line from Home Depot-  "You can do it, we can will help"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justjoseph63 said:

It takes time and patience to build a set of armor, but there are literally hundreds of tutorials here (and us of course) that will make it easier.  ATA makes an AWESOME kit, so you are on the right track.  Some areas have "armor parties" to assist folks with their builds, but Covid has unfortunately put a hold on those in many places.  

Once you choose your armorer and order your kit, I would suggest looking at some of the build threads (link here) to give you an idea of what to prepare for.  You should also start collecting the supplies you will need.  I have a thread on that here, and I have some tutorials that will help under my avatar below.

Once BBB day arrives, I HIGHLY recommend starting your own build thread.  That way, you can ask all the questions you have as well as post up lots of photos (we LOVE photos) of your progress and any issues you may come across. 

To paraphrase a line from Home Depot-  "You can do it, we can will help"

Honestly once I place my order I'd rather sit down with someone and have hands on assistance lol. I'm a hand on learner. Watching a video won't teach me anything. But I will definitely post pictures of progress

It may be tough to find someone right now with all that's going on, but you never know ;).  Not to worry, though.  The vast majority of us did our builds alone, even those with zero experience working with tools.  That is why it's important to take..... your.... time, ask a million questions and post lots of photos.

Consider your journey a marathon and not a sprint.  I know you are (as we all were) eager to get out and troop, but rushing leads to mistakes.  Trust me on that one.

17 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I have but I'm not authorized

Have you registered there?  Link

1 minute ago, justjoseph63 said:

It may be tough to find someone right now with all that's going on, but you never know ;).  Not to worry, though.  The vast majority of us did our builds alone, even those with zero experience working with tools.  That is why it's important to take..... your.... time, ask a million questions and post lots of photos.

Consider your journey a marathon and not a sprint.  I know you are (as we all were) eager to get out and troop, but rushing leads to mistakes.  Trust me on that one.

Have you registered there?  Link

Yes I have registered. I second guess myself alot but I'm good with an instruction manual although I can't eye measurements

There really isn't a manual, as armor is fitted to each individual.  The CRL (Costume Reference Library on the 501st site (link) will help, and I also have a breakdown with screen caps that will help explain a lot of the nuances required for all levels of approval.

3 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

There really isn't a manual, as armor is fitted to each individual.  The CRL (Costume Reference Library on the 501st site (link) will help, and I also have a breakdown with screen caps that will help explain a lot of the nuances required for all levels of approval.

I might try to find an armor building party near me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

There really isn't a manual, as armor is fitted to each individual.  The CRL (Costume Reference Library on the 501st site (link) will help, and I also have a breakdown with screen caps that will help explain a lot of the nuances required for all levels 

When I do I will prob try for level 2 or 3 lol

• Like 1

Greetings Andrew….what can I say… Other than listen to JUSTJOSEPH…. He has an uncanny amount of information… I remember my intro here and talk about BEEN-THERE, DONE THAT type of discussions I’ve had with him and the others in this tight knit community. Please understand it takes a ALOT of patience, …. Feel free to ask away especially with plenty is pictures !!! WELCOME ABOARD !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, AndrewB said:

When I do I will prob try for level 2 or 3 lol

Welcome to FISD Andrew, glad to read you are aiming for higher levels. It's important when you start your build to take this in mind and make the adjustment at start.

Good luck and looking forward for your advances. 

We are here to help. :salute: 

Hello and welcome aboard, here's a great thread full of helpful links 

Also when building and in doubt check out some of the gallery sections

Good luck

Hey there Andrew!

Glad you've posted on here.  When I bought my armor I felt the same way as you do.  I didn't have the confidence or the know how to do it on my own. I wanted to partner up with someone to help guide me in person and lead me down the correct path.  My armor arrived and ended up sitting in it's big ole box waiting for me to do something with it for way too long.  I never had any luck connecting with the local garrison just because of my work schedule and the only offer of assistance I got was from someone who said they would build my armor for me and give it back.

So I checked out build threads right here on FISD, looked at the EIB (Expert Infantry Level 2) and Centurion (Level 3) applications that others made with armor from the same vendor and eventually spoke to someone else I found who has armor and they're advice was simple, "start with one piece".  By then I had gotten sick of looking at my pieces just sitting in that box so I started with one piece.    

I was so nervous about making the wrong cut but I followed along with a build thread that someone had made. Once I did that, it was on like Donkey Kong.  I started my own build thread and any time I had a question or concern I would post that into my build thread.  Usually by the end of the day or even within hours I would have answers and suggestions pouring in to help guide me along. 

Despite having only ever met a couple of the folks I talk to on the forum in person, I got way more help from them than I did from anyone in person.  The camaraderie here is second to none.  We are troopers helping troopers (even the aspiring trooper :salute:).  So ask your questions and feel confident that you have come to the Mecca of screen accurate stormtrooper and when you are ready, Build that beautiful set of armor so you too can be one of the bad guys doing good! 

• Like 1

Hey Andrew and welcome to the beginning of an incredible journey!

@justjoseph63 and @CrookKnight are our Imperial Attachés for the Carolina Garrison. If anyone can help you hands on, it's one of them or somebody they know in your region.

Both are expirienced builders and know exactly what they're talking about. :)

The only other option to get help hands on would be to hope for an armor party in your area.

But no worries: we've had plenty of new members with no building experience before. You'll get the right guidance on this platform and it's not as hard as you think it will be. We've had plenty of AtA builds on here, even going higher levels, btw. :smiley-sw013:

Was up Andrew welcome to fisd. I was in the same boat. But if you start a build thread here you will definitely get the help you need. And depending what armor kit you get there is tons here that have completed that same kit and can offer the best insight into building it also. I had no experience at all also and the troopers here are fantastic in helping you step by step as long as you constantly post your progress. You can do it brotha.