First Order shoulder pouch template and 3D-printed support frame

DanielEisenhauer

y2sb9eW.jpg

JEH897g.jpg

Hi! I made a shoulder pouch for my TFA kit, based on the one in this thread, and in the process I made some resources for it that I thought some of y'all might also find useful.

First, although I know that there were at one point some downloadable templates for MP40-style pouches available from other 501st sources online, many of the links to them seem to be dead, so here's the one that I made and used. The first pouch I made was based on the dimensions of the real MP40 magazine pouches used in the OT, but I found that to be much larger than the First Order movie references in comparison to my armor, so these dimensions are scaled down by 20%. Presumably the pouches in the movie were downscaled replicas of existing props, like the greeblies on the heavy assault trooper's ammo vest. That does mean that these dimensions are only approximate, since as far as I know no references for the exact size of the movie pouches are available. Adjust the scale as you see fit.
fxEcBzq.png

Second, rather than using foam blocks to help the pouch keep its shape, I 3D printed an internal support frame, which is available on Thingiverse here (and also crossposted in the 3D printing resources section of this forum). The frame can be sewn directly into the pleather sheets and will keep the whole thing in shape while still allowing it to be at least vaguely functional, which the foam blocks wouldn't. It's still not very useful for anything, of course, but it's a nice idea.

If anybody spots any inaccuracies or ways I could improve these templates, do please tell me! I'm probably going to make another pouch for myself (the one in these photos is the first thing I've ever made with pleather, so I think I can improve my craftsmanship on a second attempt), so I'd be glad to be able to incorporate feedback into v2.0.

• Like 2

Looks familiar, nice work.

For reference I posted the pouch templates here as many of the online links no longer work, for anyone looking for them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looks familiar, nice work.

For reference I posted the pouch templates here as many of the online links no longer work, for anyone looking for them.

Ah, good--I remembered seeing those pictures somewhere but I didn't know they were still available. I made this a couple of months ago, so it would've been before you re-uploaded those. They would've saved me a fair bit of effort.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...