TK - Stormtrooper: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call - First Order Lt. Gauge CRL Development Thread

TheRascalKing

I posted it last week but nobody bit ;) 

I guess we will have to wait and see if more references come up, can't quite see the sides or the back for that matter.

Accessories are normally cool, and a welcome addition to most costumes. but I gotta' say I'm not a big fan of the "visor".  IMO the curves on the top give it a "sad" appearance, and the shoulders remind me of an NFL football player.

I am also wondering what the additions are on the gloves (opposite side of the hand guards) and why they added flat-ended forefinger tips.   Hmmm.

coga2oG.jpg?1             YB229aQ.jpg?1    TDbg10t.jpg?1

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TK - Stormtrooper: Tales From the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call - First Order Lt. Gauge CRL Development Thread

Firstly, you need to be able to take a joke Justin. You have also edited this post numerous times adding in and changing details, which doesn't bring the topic back up to the top so discussions could be continued easily.

Personally I am glad you chose to make the edit you made just now, yes Isaw it and it remains in the edit logs of this thread. 

Secondly the CRL needed a costume builder, which at the time we did not have.

Now it seems we do, and so a CRL can be created.

It also seems you have more references now also, so the task of making the CRL requires no guess work on details we can't see.

I think initially all we saw was the trailer for the game as it hadn't been released, cant say I have time to actually play these games sadly so many are reliant on what we have here.

Creating the text for the CRL is the easy part, having all the images and doing the photo shop work to cut from backgrounds etc is where the time is taken up, so once you are ready with your photos, they don't need to be edited, we can certainly do that for you, then we can get serious on making this a reality and another costume for our catalogue and members.

• Like 3

I'd like to also note this character is based off TFA armour and there fore you are making and assumption there are no seams on the abdomen.

The shoulders /back you would never see so that one make sense to me, but you have some convincing to do on the mid section I would wager :)

Edited to add an additional thought as I ponder this costume,

You mention the figures with square ends, which I get, but you need to choose a path not mix and match.

Real world finger tips are round so if you go that real world route, then you need to continue with continuity and assemble the armour as seen on screen like all other game related characters have materialized as CRL's, or choose a game version and build it like the pictures. For the record, square ended gloves wouldn't look great in my opinion lol.

• Like 2

Not a huge fan of the pouldron, but the helmet is interesting.

CRL looks like a good start but I have some comments.

You have a bit in the preamble about differences to TFA, maybe bring this in to the CRL text proper as "TFA based" to ensure that it's not missed.

There are a few bits struck out.  (formatting removed for clarity)

• Grooves on sides of chest should show clear separation.
  • There are no visible seams on the back/yoke.
  • Gaskets shall be made of rubber. Fabric gaskets are not acceptable.
  • Forearm wrist box should be separate pieces, affixed to forearms.
  • Forearm top plate is not attached at front of wrists.
  • Glove palm must have black stitching.
  • The seams between the abdominal armor and the 7 boxes should not be filled.
  • Working lights and working front torch are required.
  • Front handle must be movable.

Generally I would expect the derivative CRL to follow the primary unless there is good evidence of these changes.  I realise this is a video game so you can't prove things like the gasket materials, and resolution means you won't see stitching on gloves. I would just prefer to see some justification of the proposed changes.

Looks like you've made a decent start to the build.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

Pretty simple - if I can't prove an item to be fact as written utilizing the game or provided models, then I removed it. We won't be able to confirm nearly as much as we can with the full on movie suits, as there has never been a real-world Gauge, but the base suit is clearly from the TFA time period and I will be utilizing proper parts as such.

I may be wrong but I believe it normally works the other way for "realised suits" based on movie start points. You take the movie CRL and adjust only what you can demonstrate to be different. This is remove stuff you can't tell either way because of some limitation such as graphics, or camera angles.

Tbh for some items it's sort of academic, like you're not going to see shoulder seams under that pouldron. So unless you want to dual clear (please do and juice the the numbers a little) as a TFA it wouldn't overly matter.

The gloves, can you even get white stitched at the moment? Doesn't seem like it's worth worrying about vs TFA. That is unless we are saying they *should* be white in which case we'd want to flip the CRL, so basic and probably EIB black sticking is okay but cor Centurion you'd need white. 

As for the rest, keeping in line with the TFA seems reasonable.  Means you can't build something you then can't clear as a plain TFA if wanted, though in reality I expect most Guage builders would be starting from a cleared TFA and adding the visor, pouldron and so on.

I do have some pragmatic thoughts on the gaskets for Centurion, the main one being there are few sellers and from what I understand horrible to wear.

• Like 2

That helmet work is impressive. The fit looks amazing.  Quite jealous of that resin print volume! The red seems like a reasonable decision.  In some images it's quite bright others a bit more dull, I think you've split the difference well. Edit: How well does the paint match the pouldron? As in the renders they are the same colour.

One thing I've noticed comparing the red is that there is some light weathering to the armour and the visor.  Are you going for a "clean" version, sort of a factory fresh, or a closer to shown light weather?

Nice work, good to see this come to fruition. 

Be good to see some more skins or images from the actual game or from an official source, looking at the drawings from Fernando on Artsation most of the images show a flat/straight pauldron but when you look at the game/action character the pauldron appears curved, more so when moving 

Take this image

VAKIsqv.jpg

Compared to 

p8IWK53.jpg

In the physical world this straighter appearance would not be able to move or curve out of a foam, unless it was layered I'd guess.

from 2.34 in this video shows the curvature pretty well

also this reference

ui_journal_characters_gauge.png

I'll have a hunt around for some game skins when I have some time :duim:

• Like 2

That confirms what I had thought, definitely curved which makes things a little more difficult, I was looking at the pauldron many moons ago and couldn't come up with an easy solution without a ton of work.

22 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

I may be wrong but I believe it normally works the other way for "realised suits" based on movie start points. You take the movie CRL and adjust only what you can demonstrate to be different. This is remove stuff you can't tell either way because of some limitation such as graphics, or camera angles.

Tbh for some items it's sort of academic, like you're not going to see shoulder seams under that pouldron. So unless you want to dual clear (please do and juice the the numbers a little) as a TFA it wouldn't overly matter.

The gloves, can you even get white stitched at the moment? Doesn't seem like it's worth worrying about vs TFA. That is unless we are saying they *should* be white in which case we'd want to flip the CRL, so basic and probably EIB black sticking is okay but cor Centurion you'd need white. 

As for the rest, keeping in line with the TFA seems reasonable.  Means you can't build something you then can't clear as a plain TFA if wanted, though in reality I expect most Guage builders would be starting from a cleared TFA and adding the visor, pouldron and so on.

I do have some pragmatic thoughts on the gaskets for Centurion, the main one being there are few sellers and from what I understand horrible to wear.

I'll defer to the team and it's not a hill I'm willing to die on. The armor underneath is clearly TFA era, so the existing TFA CRL should be a great base, but we're just not going to be able to confirm many things based on the game graphics, so why would we include anything that would hold anyone to an artificial standard that we can't prove using the source material? Is there enough 360* clear imagery to warrant a CRL? I say heck yes. Is there enough detail to include ALL of the criteria from the TFA FOTK CRL? I would say no.

And I would argue that the source material is meant to be "realistic". This is not an "animated" style or a style of armor that is specific to the game. The game is clearly intending to replica TFA era realistic movie armor within the best abilities of their graphics capabilities. It should be a slightly easier version of the TFA FOTK, but add the pauldron and visor.

I know Endor Finders was offering white palms at one point, but that render was not in color. I suspect the palm stitching is black. But I couldn't prove it to you with a clear image from the game, so....

22 hours ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

How well does the paint match the pouldron? As in the renders they are the same colour.

One thing I've noticed comparing the red is that there is some light weathering to the armour and the visor.  Are you going for a "clean" version, sort of a factory fresh, or a closer to shown light weather?

Spot on - they're painted with the same rattlecan Rust-Oleum Heritage Red satin paint.

I am starting with a "clean" version (and will likely submit as a TFA FOTK first) and then will add light weathering for submission of Gauge once I've confirmed with the LMOs that substantive changes are not absolutely required.

29 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

That confirms what I had thought, definitely curved which makes things a little more difficult, I was looking at the pauldron many moons ago and couldn't come up with an easy solution without a ton of work.

The character designer has confirmed that the curvature of the pauldron is an artefact during gameplay and that a soft leather should be an ideal material, similar to the Denuo Novo FOTK pauldrons. Mine should soften up a bit more with wear but there's no reason to make this any harder than it needs to be. I will attempt to replicate the game character as faithfully as possible, but there will be limitations when we are replicating a source material that isn't real world, and I accept that.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Thanks Justin, yes we always default to the real armour for a base, making guesses on a game version shouldn't be considered when we have a lot of references from the movies so things like the glove stitching, no side seams should stay true to what they have based this character off.

The main references of difference being the helmet visor and pauldron are very well detailed, and you have done an excellent job of both those.

As you well know, we don't make calls on strapping because it is something you cant see. As Gauge wears a double sided pauldron that is cut right up to the neck seal it conceals both shoulder bridge areas completely of the back and under chest connecting area. 

I think it is fine that you do not need to make that a one piece item and can leave that joint as is if you are using the DN kit. This area will never be seen.

I will be creating the origin Wiki doc for the CRL later this weekend so we should continue to discuss the wording of this CRL and any potential additions etc.

When you are complete and ready with your CRL images, please put them all in a google drive and PM me the link so I can get them ready to add to the CRL :duim:

• Like 1

Wiki Doc back end is constructed, haven't fleshed it out as yet but intro title is complete

image.png

• Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 1:58 AM, Sly11 said:

Wiki Doc back end is constructed, haven't fleshed it out as yet but intro title is complete

image.png

I believe the description/CRL title should be as above, "Stormtrooper, Tales From the Galaxy's Edge: Last Call - First Order Lt. Gauge" or similar, since the character appears in the specific "Last Call" game expansion only, and is a named First Order Officer. Or I guess however you're doing Captain Cardinal or Commander Pyre, so it's consistent... I don't believe there is enough substantive difference from the TFA First Order Stormtrooper to warrant a regular stormtrooper from the game in general. I like the description though, and am glad to see it in motion, thank you!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

I can add that in no problem. As all things this is only a first draft to make sure it looked different at a glance with the other wiki origin docs I have ready and waiting for photos and language.

I'll make the change when I'm back home from a work regional trip on Wednesday.

I shall add that to the context section, so it is clear.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Nice work, came out a treat, however I would try to bring the angles of the sides of the pauldron down a little, they appear to be angling upwards. 

zrHTYZO.thumb.jpg.8a309f1e9cb924464c9478d90fa8cc8f.jpg

May need to add weathering to higher levels as the game model appears to be weathered

p8IWK53.jpg

zrHTYZO.jpg

• Like 1