Short trooper - thigh armour mobility modification

Hi folks,
I did my first troop yesterday (who-hoo) which highlighted an issue with my thigh armour which didn’t present itself until I was in the armour for a longer period.

I’m 5’7” so on the shorter side as far as stormtroopers go. When I’ve been taking my photos for approval and my EIB, although the armour sits nicely whilst doing minimal movement, I found that walking around for the longer periods inevitably caused the armour to shift and start to drop/overlap over my shin armour. To compensate, I pulled my waist belt holding the thigh armour higher and tightened it but this presented a second problem, the thigh armour then overlaps with the posterior/cod piece (and some pinching). 

I think the solution is to take a little off the top of the thigh armour (I’ve drawn a line on the image below to show what I mean) but wanted to…
1. Check if this is the best solution
2. Check if this will affect my approval/EIB

14571c9c393e2e1f28ac009ef81363cc.jpg

I don’t think I need to take off much but I do feel it will give me more mobility and stop the shin and thighs clipping against each other.

Thanks all.

Sent from The Empire

You may be able to bring your ab/cod up a bit, if you compare Luke and the gap between his chest and ab plate and yours.

download.jpg.2c1271da806ea8237d99feab4110e9b7.jpg 14571c9c393e2e1f28ac009ef81363cc.jpg.ebf4e51153bf87cab02d9e6e04e0656e.jpg

If not you should be able to trim the tops of thighs without much issue, although I would let the DO's comment whether they would be acceptable for higher level clearance as to shape/return edge, @justjoseph63, @TKSpartan, @Chemi

Here's a couple of shorter trooper builds, from memory I think most have higher clearance, could be some reference material for you as to what they modified

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38842-fragarocks-rs-stunt-build-not-to-scale/

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42868-sha-shas-wtf-anh-stunt-build-complete/

• Like 2

Just now, tat2trooper said:

What about trimming the bottom of the shin to lower it. Then you don't mess with the upper thigh return edge.

The only issue with trimming down the shins is you then bring the thigh down over the knee which could interfere with the knee bending.

• Like 1

It's a bit difficult to see the entire scope of the issue without seeing how much of an overlap you have on the posterior plate, and a photo would certainly help a lot.  

Keep in mind that the distance from the top of the thigh in front and the cod can vary as seen in the first pic, but it sounds like you may have a common issue with that infernal clicking noise coming from the rear of the thigh tops hitting the posterior plate in the back.  (I had the same issue).  The thing to think about is comfort.  As seen in the last 3 photos you can certainly trim down the backs of those thigh tops to compensate without it affecting Centurion approval.

Before doing that, it may sound odd but as I mentioned, if you could post up a photo of the overlap issue in that area we can definitely steer you in the right direction and pinpoint where you can/should trim.

yZfnQOw.jpg?1       q4JjuKF.jpg?1   q9T0CLv.jpg?2   0pb1D91.jpg?1

• Like 1

As always, super helpful. Thanks fellas.

Here are a couple of images from my original approval photos which show how close the thigh armour is to the butt when they’re pulled right up. These inevitably overlap and click when I walk. Although moving them down is comfortable at first, I get the issues mentioned after longer periods of movement/wearing.

1ae8d9c6e4362d93cb1751876feb07ad.jpg
d8bf196faab2d845e7a585e0848b9465.jpg

Hopefully these photos will help further. Let me know if you need anymore.

Sent from The Empire

Perfect, Tim.  You can definitely trim down the rear of the tops.  I would take it off about a centimeter or two at first, and if you need to take more, do it in increments.

The only small issue is that you still have a good amount of the return edge on the sides of the thigh tops and some in the rear.  When you trim off that return edge, the opening will be larger, but hopefully it will not be noticeable.  You should be able to fit about 4 fingers comfortably between the thigh piece and your leg. Anything larger and it will look odd, but in a worse-case scenario we can help with that as well.  Let's cross that bridge when if we come to it!

Photos from your EI submission

hZLGwqc.jpg    L8GXGq7.jpg     dzE1Q5q.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this. I’m picking up my ESB helmet from RS on Friday. While I’m there they’ve kindly offered to make the above adjustments (better them than me saying as they built it). Hopefully we can find a balance with how much to trim off without making the gap too large. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

Quick update on this. I’m picking up my ESB helmet from RS on Friday. While I’m there they’ve kindly offered to make the above adjustments (better them than me saying as they built it). Hopefully we can find a balance with how much to trim off without making the gap too large. 

That is awesome to hear, Tim!  They are known for outstanding customer service, and I look forward to seeing the results!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goggytalks said:

Hi Tim,
May I ask if when they completed the alterations on the thighs did they create a new return on the edges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Colin, they removed only a centimetre or so from the rear of the thigh (so as not to increase the gap too much as Joseph mentioned). The return edge was removed as a result but kept at the front. They did a great job. 

• Like 1

Not a problem. I have a troop this weekend so will get some photos to you then.

I think one thing that you’ll need to consider is maintaining the overall shape of the rear thigh, as well as keeping this as even as possible on both the left and right. This was one of the reasons I didn’t do it myself in my case.

Plenty of helping hands on here though to help you.

Sent from The Empire