Newbie trooper ready to join the club

Hi All-

Charles here from StL, MO. I just submitted my armor (RS Propmasters ANH Stunt) to my GMLs for review. Till I get word back I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

This has been a dream of mine for the last almost 20 years or so, since I first stumbled across the 501st and realized I could one day be an actual stormtrooper. Back in those days there wasn't much online to reference how to build. Plus to be honest I didn't have much money back in my 20s lol. Now in my mid 40's and my kids are grown I'm finally ready to jump in to your awesome world. I purchased a full commission set for RS and my profile photo is it. I currently have it on a mannequin in my home office and can not stop staring at it. I truly haven't smiled this much or been this excited since I was six years old and got a Kenner Death Star playset from Santa Claus!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning how to put a second kit together - this time from scratch. Just glad to be here finally :D

Charles

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

you made my day. Pura Vida !!  :peace:

It’s an amazing country you have. I got to visit for a week a couple years back and I work remotely with a couple software engineers from CR now. They are awesome.

• Like 1

Hi All-

Charles here from StL, MO. I just submitted my armor (RS Propmasters ANH Stunt) to my GMLs for review. Till I get word back I thought I'd stop in and say hello.

This has been a dream of mine for the last almost 20 years or so, since I first stumbled across the 501st and realized I could one day be an actual stormtrooper. Back in those days there wasn't much online to reference how to build. Plus to be honest I didn't have much money back in my 20s lol. Now in my mid 40's and my kids are grown I'm finally ready to jump in to your awesome world. I purchased a full commission set for RS and my profile photo is it. I currently have it on a mannequin in my home office and can not stop staring at it. I truly haven't smiled this much or been this excited since I was six years old and got a Kenner Death Star playset from Santa Claus!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning how to put a second kit together - this time from scratch. Just glad to be here finally

Charles

Hi Charles,

Welcome , like you I have a TK ANH . Good choice, the iconic example of the Stormtrooper. Good choice on the vendor RS Props too. I’ve only recently joined and will go on my first troop in September. Sure you won’t have any problems on clearance. RS do a really good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Csefton said:

Hi Charles,

Welcome , like you I have a TK ANH . Good choice, the iconic example of the Stormtrooper. Good choice on the vendor RS Props too. I’ve only recently joined and will go on my first troop in September. Sure you won’t have any problems on clearance. RS do a really good job.

Yes ANH for the win! Although my fave movie is ESB, I had to go with the original that made me love star wars. I was really really pleased with how the RS Props kit turned out. They did an amazing job and made the months and months of saving up worth it. I am excited to make some friends in my local squad to learn about actually making some stuff from scratch. I'm not too handy, but I did used to make model cars and planes as a kid so I'm sure I can learn. I may just start with a helmet kit for display in my office to get my feet wet. I'd love to learn how to paint and weather things to make them look used and battle damaged. What skill!

• Like 3

Also note it's very easy to swap between the versions with another helmet or two and a few other pieces, here is a comparison, ANH Stunt, ESB or ANH Hero, you can end up with 3 costumes out of the one 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

4, if you include HWT :D

Well with a pack, pauldron and pouches and some dirt which isn't included in that PDF ;) 

• Like 2

Yes ANH for the win! Although my fave movie is ESB, I had to go with the original that made me love star wars. I was really really pleased with how the RS Props kit turned out. They did an amazing job and made the months and months of saving up worth it. I am excited to make some friends in my local squad to learn about actually making some stuff from scratch. I'm not too handy, but I did used to make model cars and planes as a kid so I'm sure I can learn. I may just start with a helmet kit for display in my office to get my feet wet. I'd love to learn how to paint and weather things to make them look used and battle damaged. What skill!

You’ll enjoy building a kit. I built my whole suit from a kit. Although I’ve already got experience from costume making before it was nothing like this. It’s the best feeling when you get that thumbs up for clearance. The armourers are brilliant and your going to get loads of support. Excited for you.

• Like 2

You came to the right place! "That's good - You've taken your first step into a larger world." and BOY, is this a large world. I think the thing I hadn't realized until after spending more time on FISD and local garrison is that there are so many degrees of dedication and enthusiasm to the armor. Scouring the forums is really thorough but time consuming; talking to people directly is highly efficient and would definitely recommend! So reach out, everyone I've met here is extremely helpful and friendly. Good luck with your build!

• Like 1