WHY BE HARD ON NEWBIES (ARMOR)

On 8/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, Tallguy said:

Everyone has armor why not share with everyone where to get it and grow the troop?

The other big component if not previously mentioned is that, there is no one right answer - there are LOTS of right answers, and plenty of wrong ones. It drives me up a wall to see (mostly on non-FISD Facebook pages), someone ask "What armor should I buy...?" with no further context, then a dozen people throwing out makers (usually RS) without any further context. It's silly! That's like joining a car group and asking, "What car should I buy?" and everyone just going "BUY A VAUXHALL ASTRA".

What are you going to be using it for? How often do you drive? What country do you live in? (We don't get Vauxhalls in the US)... What is your budget? Do you prefer performance or luxury? etc.

These type of questions MATTER when buying a car, and it's a similar process to buying armor... And it's why research is key and why I avoid just straight up telling people what armor to buy and where - you want the armor that's right for YOU, and that requires some work to know. The more you research, the happier you'll be with your purchase in both cases. But you're in the right place to start building that knowledge. Good luck!

(Another component is also that many makers do not have websites, since at least in the US, it opens you up to legal liability/receiving a Cease-and-Desist order from the Mouse for profiting off of their unlicensed intellectual property, which they don't take kindly to. UK laws must be different or RS for example must not care, but that's why a lot of the best makers and their contact info are here on the forums, where you at least have to sign in and be actively looking for armor - buying on a whim off a website (or EBAY) is asking to trouble for many different reasons...) 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 5

vor 3 Stunden schrieb TheRascalKing:

--SWSSSH--

(Another component is also that many makers do not have websites, since at least in the US, it opens you up to legal liability/receiving a Cease-and-Desist order from the Mouse for profiting off of their unlicensed intellectual property, which they don't take kindly to. UK laws must be different or RS for example must not care, but that's why a lot of the best makers and their contact info are here on the forums, where you at least have to sign in and be actively looking for armor - buying on a whim off a website (or EBAY) is asking to trouble for many different reasons...) 

UK is a special case. RS can stay in the open since LucasFilm goofed up on copyright back in 1977. they forgot to register the stormtrooper design correctly. Result was that it was "industrial design" only and copyright expired 15 years after creation. Shepperton was the first one and Lucasfilm wanted to sue that one into oblivion. topic ended on supreme court which told Lucasfilm a firm "NO". thats why there is a safe harbor there.

Edited by masterx244
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Toothdoc said:

I realize that. Misunderstood that it wasn’t intended to be my actual advice to him, but my opinion on what I’d like to do. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all I do not know how may VADER'S are wanted?

I wouldn’t worry about what the count of Vader’s there are or who wants you to be what character. You do what YOU want to do. It’s your hobby, costume, money and blood sweat and tears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Vaders are always wanted since there tends to never be enough to go around. My garrison since it’s starting to wake up from the Covid nap has a little bit of competition for Vader slots since everyone wants to get trooping again. Usually Vaders have other costumes that they go as when that spot’s been taken.

as others have said, Vader costumes do tend to be expensive, so I’d take that into consideration.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Well really depends on your garrison and how many events you attend, some are so busy they can't fulfill all request and several of the same charators are needed, others like my own are small and we find the Vader's have to either share an event and swap over or one will do a specific event one year then the other will do the same event the following year.

Check out your garrison and see how many Vaders they have already ;)

If you wish to find out more about a Vader costume head to the Sith Lord Detachment https://www.501stsithlords.com/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Thank You all just trying to one set of armor for now but now maybe VADER? tapatalk IF I DOWNLOAD TO PHONE HOW DO I GET IN TO HERE?

Each costume has its own or forms part of, a Detachment.

We look after Stormtroopers, but even they are categorized and spread into different Detachments based on colour, weathering etc.

Glen has given you a link to the home not only of our dark lord himself, but other Sith lords from the Star Wars universe. You may find other costumes you one day might also like to build.

You are always welcome here to keep us up to date on your journey into this great hobby, so whether you decide to be Vader or something else, always pop in and say Hi!

• 2 months later...

I too am finding things hard as well. I did reach out to one builder here in Quebec,Canada ( Montreal ) with being semi retired from working as a ride operator for a traveling amusement company to a low income isn't a easy task. I would still like to follow this dream but it is the financial situation that is kind of keeping it there as just a dream. 

58 minutes ago, TerryFraser said:

I too am finding things hard as well. I did reach out to one builder here in Quebec,Canada ( Montreal ) with being semi retired from working as a ride operator for a traveling amusement company to a low income isn't a easy task. I would still like to follow this dream but it is the financial situation that is kind of keeping it there as just a dream. 

No doubt this hobby isn't cheap, some costumes far more so than others.

Vader for instance can run up to and well over $4k, Boba Fett no different, some are even dearer than this hitting $6K. Certainly well above Halloween type costuming.

Storm troopers are one of the cheaper costumes of hard armour, there are multiple vendors to deal with so your choice is good.

A basic Imperial officers uniform is a good lower cost costume to also consider getting into the 501st and out trooping. It's also easy to transport if you move around a lot.

Stay away from most armour sold on ebay as you many times just don't get something that is either shown or up to scratch.

Stick with vetted suppliers and feedback form the 501st garrison and detachment forums because this can also save you some coin in the long run.

Good luck on your journey  Terry