WHY BE HARD ON NEWBIES (ARMOR)

12 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Everyone has armor why not share with everyone where to get it and grow the troop?

There is some research needed in this hobby.

• Like 1

As Glen said, there is so much information that research is needed, but there are also many threads that compile a lot of helpful information. The vetted armor vendor list is an excellent place to start. I also have my own compilation, linked below, that may be of use to you.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aside from the readings and research here, have you try contact your local garrison?

They might be able to offer some advice, say, based on your height and body size and short list some vendors for you to make contact with.

Edited by giskard8
Typo
  • Like 1

You can find a list of garrison's here https://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

Or search the map, bottom left of the page https://www.501st.com/

• Like 2

I can understand that the hobby is really intimidating when you first join FISD, and when I was much younger, I felt the same as you. To the point I *gasp* bought ebay armor because “what does it matter? Armor is armor!”

sure enough, I opened the box and realized just what I got myself into.  Between poorly made parts, tons of inaccuracies, and just in general, terrible part quality. Thankfully I was able to return the armor for a full refund. Didn’t sign back onto the forums for a long while since I felt so discouraged. Then I decided to go to the page Gmrhodes posted and ended up making that my home page for a bit. 

Weeks go by as I started to really study the different armors to figure out which one was best for me, between quality, durability, and accurateness. I started reading other people’s build threads to get a better idea of what I can expect. I got in contact with my local garrison and they arranged to have dinner with me in just the span of a few weeks! All for a total stranger no less, but they were excited to meet a possible future trooper! Eventually I settled on an Armor Master 4.5 kit. A kit that costed twice as much as the 400 USD ebay armor I got! And let me tell you, I did not regret it. All the research payed off and I was able to get help from everyone on the forums. Not only that, but one of the troopers at the dinner turns out to live just a few minutes from my place and offered me to work on my armor in his basement. He basically was a guiding hand helping me every step on the way and was the one who helped me take my submission photos. What you get for joining the 501st is finding a second family as it turns out lol.

what sets the 501st apart from other costuming groups is the fact that we strive for movie accuracy, to aim for a level of authenticity that even Lucasfilm even recognizes. That’s not to say that there aren’t other costuming groups of similar standards, it’s just that in a lot of ways, the 501st is the gold standard.

I suppose at the end of the day, you will need to ask yourself why you want the stormtrooper armor. If you want to dress up as a stormtrooper from time to time, it is perfectly fine to do so without the strict guidelines of the 501st. However, if you want to go the extra mile and be part of a group that helps others and has a lasting impact both to star wars and her fans, then maybe this is the place you want to be.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it will give you a better idea of “why we are the way we are”. The 501st isn’t for everyone, but unlike Yoda, we are certainly open to people who at least try.

• Like 10

I must also agree, JR's post is spot on.

One thing you will learn by spending time on our forums is the fact we have a lot of members who are very eager to help.

We offer the best advice available, have the largest resource for Stormtroopers anywhere on the internet period.

If a stormtrooper is where you wish to start your journey into white armour, 501st or otherwise, then we have your back.

It has been mentioned already that research is the key, and that is 100% correct. In fact when you think about it, that serves for any hobby or sport a person wishes to look into.

There is far too much information to fit in any one post, and it's too easy to lose that mass of info we have in a Social media platform so the forum is to this day still the best place to spend your time learning.

Become educated, make the right decision for you, and let your journey into this awesome hobby begin.

Best of luck with it Spike.

• Like 2

JR's post is perfect.  It hits the nail on the head.  The only thing I may add is that this bit of information has been lost as the last 5 years or so have gone on.  People don't think about it.  I don't know why.

We don't want to put too much info out there about armor because we do have to keep in mind that copyright infringement still does exist.  Again, it seems like that more people worried about that 5 or so years ago then currently.  But our armor makers do put their neck out there because they could potentially feel the wrath of the mouse if they ever really wanted to.

Research is key. 

• Like 2

I am a new guy who started this journey last year about this time. At first, it DOES seem a little daunting and intimidating as to how to really get into this hobby. Things seem a little secretive and somewhat mysterious as to how to “join the family”, if you will. I get that!

HOWEVER, there are numerous resources online and throughout social media that are readily available to DO ONES RESEARCH and learn for yourself what to do and how to do it “properly”. There’s no question that, “you get out of it what you put into it”, as it should be. I’ve learned a lot from the guys here at FISD and all have been friendly, receptive and very helpful! They clearly want me to succeed and their actions and attitudes to that end are obvious.

I, too have an AM armor kit that I work on slowly but surely ,as well as a Studio Creations Imperial Scout costume. I’ve learned some new skills and have come a long way and will be completing both for submission soon.

My advice is to stick with it, put in the research time, ask a lot of questions, start a build thread with lots of photos and take any criticisms constructively. You’ll have a very nice set of armor that you will be proud of!

Welcome to the Empire!

• Like 1

Aside from the readings and research here, have you try contact your local garrison?

They might be able to offer some advice, say, based on your height and body size and short list some vendors for you to make contact with.

Having been in the hobby building my own kit for over a year, I can tell you that I’ve been attempting to reach out to my ‘local garrison’ for months, with zero result. They have a Facebook, which I’ve messaged multiple times, sent PMs to members within White armor, and their local Forums require you to be a member before joining? No help, no response, nothing.

All that to say, not every garrison has been warm and welcoming to newcomers, let alone one that holds your hand while navigating armor choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

JR's post is perfect.  It hits the nail on the head.  The only thing I may add is that this bit of information has been lost as the last 5 years or so have gone on.  People don't think about it.  I don't know why.

We don't want to put too much info out there about armor because we do have to keep in mind that copyright infringement still does exist.  Again, it seems like that more people worried about that 5 or so years ago then currently.  But our armor makers do put their neck out there because they could potentially feel the wrath of the mouse if they ever really wanted to.

Research is key. 

True and I have looked for a few years but wa shopping coming here I could get a easyer answer,I see a lot of armor $$$$ so only want to buy one time and having to build is not able to right now. Am glad you all help want to buy the "RIGHT" armor for me for as am 6'5 300 size 16. boots usa sizing..............

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

True and I have looked for a few years but wa shopping coming here I could get a easyer answer,I see a lot of armor $$$$ so only want to buy one time and having to build is not able to right now. Am glad you all help want to buy the "RIGHT" armor for me for as am 6'5 300 size 16. boots usa sizing..............

Sounds like either Armor Master or RWA kits are probably where you’d want to conduct your search. The next step is to look through build threads and see how other troopers of a similar size have built their armor. It will also help you understand the differences between those two kits.

5 hours ago, indiechixor said:

Having been in the hobby building my own kit for over a year, I can tell you that I’ve been attempting to reach out to my ‘local garrison’ for months, with zero result. They have a Facebook, which I’ve messaged multiple times, sent PMs to members within White armor, and their local Forums require you to be a member before joining? No help, no response, nothing.

All that to say, not every garrison has been warm and welcoming to newcomers, let alone one that holds your hand while navigating armor choices.

Really sorry to hear that! It took me 2 months to get access to the garrison forums because of some maintenance shenanigans where my application got lost in the nether. I ended up messaging a trooper here on FISD who was with the garrison and he engaged with the garrison commander and let me sign in.

You don’t need to be a 501st member to be a member of a garrison’s forums, but being in the 501st allows you to see more forum sections and allows you to sign up for troops.

This is one process I do find a bit silly, but I understand why they put restrictions on who can join the forums.

lastly, have you tried messaging Ukswrath here on the forums? He’s one of the admins and is located in the western Cali, but I’m sure he can get you in touch with garrison members in your area if you asked him.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Have you looked at some of the info or builds for the taller troopers, you will find info, heights and makers info

Here's just a few from using the search function and entering "taller" 

Or even this thread in the Getting Started area

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear that! It took me 2 months to get access to the garrison forums because of some maintenance shenanigans where my application got lost in the nether. I ended up messaging a trooper here on FISD who was with the garrison and he engaged with the garrison commander and let me sign in.

You don’t need to be a 501st member to be a member of a garrison’s forums, but being in the 501st allows you to see more forum sections and allows you to sign up for troops.
This is one process I do find a bit silly, but I understand why they put restrictions on who can join the forums.

lastly, have you tried messaging Ukswrath here on the forums? He’s one of the admins and is located in the western Cali, but I’m sure he can get you in touch with garrison members in your area if you asked him.

Yes I’ve spoken with [mention]ukswrath [/mention]about reaching out to members but never heard back. I’ve been slowly plodding along with my kit, and I know members are busy with their own stuff… but it’s hard to keep motivated when you can’t socialize with anyone local or go to events because you don’t know when they’ll be there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, indiechixor said:

Yes I’ve spoken with @ukswrathabout reaching out to members but never heard back. I’ve been slowly plodding along with my kit, and I know members are busy with their own stuff… but it’s hard to keep motivated when you can’t socialize with anyone local or go to events because you don’t know when they’ll be there.

Very hard at this stage with covid, next to no armor workshops or events, just know there are plenty here on the forum happy to lend an eye or guidance, some posts may get missed from time to time but we do try.

As I tell everyone having a build thread is one of the best ways to get online help with a build, it's just a shame we can't be hands on to help. 

• Like 1

Hi Spike,

You’re asking all the right questions (and getting the right answers!). In my circumstances, I didn’t have any confidence to build my own armour so got a commission build with RS Propmasters. I’m now on the verge of doing my first troop and I couldn’t be more excited. 

Now, I’m looking to finally build my own ESB TK. I never would have even considered this at the start of my own journey but it’s testament to the people on this forum with their support and advice that I now feel confident to go for it. 

Brit raises similar issues to what I had originally. In my case, I did finally get in touch with someone and when I did, I can’t tell you how super helpful my garrison was. The thing I would advise on that is, remember it is their hobby as well, and they have lives outside of this hobby. Be patient, especially with COVID still around which does restrict things still, and you will get super supportive people helping you out. 

Finally regarding your size and do you/don’t you want to switch to Vader. Again, RESEARCH. It’s a good question to ask and perhaps reaching out to other Vader costumers will help with that decision. 

As I say to all potential new members, “you’ve taken your first step into a larger world”. Enjoy the journey my friend :salute:

Edited by TrickyT81

If I were that size, I’d be all over a Vader costume!

Not everyone has the budget to burn on a Vader costume. It can easily run 4-5 times the cost of a TK.
  • Like 1

Not everyone has the budget to burn on a Vader costume. It can easily run 4-5 times the cost of a TK.

I realize that. Misunderstood that it wasn’t intended to be my actual advice to him, but my opinion on what I’d like to do. Sorry.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 3:43 PM, indiechixor said:

Yes I’ve spoken with [mention]ukswrath [/mention]about reaching out to members but never heard back. I’ve been slowly plodding along with my kit, and I know members are busy with their own stuff… but it’s hard to keep motivated when you can’t socialize with anyone local or go to events because you don’t know when they’ll be there.

Hit me up am in Sacramento we have a build party coming up soon. Could meet some of the CCG fam and maybe get some insight on what direction you want to go in.

• Like 1