John Child's TFA First Order Trooper Build (Imperial Surplus)

sillyface

Belt is looking good.

FYI I tried to download the belt box blocks file and it comes up with a 404 error, also the filler, perhaps a Thingiverse issue.

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Belt is looking good.

FYI I tried to download the belt box blocks file and it comes up with a 404 error, also the filler, perhaps a Thingiverse issue.

There’s a long running issue with Thingiverse when you use download all where that happens on certain things. If you just download the individual files they should work just fine. 

7 minutes ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

There’s a long running issue with Thingiverse when you use download all where that happens on certain things. If you just download the individual files they should work just fine. 

I must be one of the lucky ones I've never had any issues with downloads from Thingiverse in the past but that has worked, cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I looked into dichloromethane as a solvent and plastic welder, it sounded like a nice way to bind the armor components together, but after some of the research, it seems that it's similar to the effects of acetone, but evaporates quicker and builds a bond much faster. But from what I know on acetone on ABS, even though it can weld two piece of plastic together, I'd be opposed to using it as it's simply liquifying the ABS into a bondable state, and re-solidifying; however, it has repurposed the material used for the structural integrity of the piece into a bonding element. Personally, I'd add more material to increase the strength and rigidity of the piece rather than juggling it. I guess since you're out of a good 2 part epoxy resin for joining, this may be a decent substitute. My big fear is how much of the plastic integrity was compromised, only time will tell.

Have you tried sanding/roughing up the pieces when epoxying? Might help the joining process as it gives more surface area to cling to?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, fishgoh0nk said:

I looked into dichloromethane as a solvent and plastic welder, it sounded like a nice way to bind the armor components together, but after some of the research, it seems that it's similar to the effects of acetone, but evaporates quicker and builds a bond much faster. But from what I know on acetone on ABS, even though it can weld two piece of plastic together, I'd be opposed to using it as it's simply liquifying the ABS into a bondable state, and re-solidifying; however, it has repurposed the material used for the structural integrity of the piece into a bonding element. Personally, I'd add more material to increase the strength and rigidity of the piece rather than juggling it. I guess since you're out of a good 2 part epoxy resin for joining, this may be a decent substitute. My big fear is how much of the plastic integrity was compromised, only time will tell.

Have you tried sanding/roughing up the pieces when epoxying? Might help the joining process as it gives more surface area to cling to?

On the latest parts I did just that and sanded the material which gave a much stronger bond. Regarding the welded parts, I'll keep everyone updated to the performance in the form of a video of me in tears or trooping with a smile depending if it breaks lol 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...