LTM's Imperial Surplus FOTK TLJ

LTM

Back from the dead...

Can someone link to where the photos are posted that show the difference between TLJ and TFA (I believe it is the bicep cover strips as well as thigh covers and a few other. Tried all the other categories and was not successful. Specifically there was a category or series of photos showing troopers side by side on the differences.

There are some differences shown in these threads. Not sure what you mean about bicep coverstrips.

And text

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GBkXIfRs9lYW6vnhVjqdEv5oNdp2ToTs/view

27 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There are some differences shown in these threads. Not sure what you mean about bicep coverstrips.

Thanks Glen!

Is the inside of the bicep and thigh curved (where the plastic overlaps)?

38 minutes ago, LTM said:

Thanks Glen!

Is the inside of the bicep and thigh curved (where the plastic overlaps)?

Correct, a couple of references

imageproxy(1).jpg.fc2f2a1cd10791f23aac752c75689703.jpg

TLJforearm.png.541ebb2f5fd03ef9c2d064a4ff32a995.png

Working on the wrist box to get crisp corners. Not sure on what the depth should be, just guessing on what the abs pull would have done.

P59ZRNa.jpg

Here is the official version:

Wjg34cm.jpg

Edited by LTM

Looking at the pill holes on the chest, do you leave a return edge and just cut out the bottom:

oIftnX0.jpg

Or do you cut it all out like the official version:

nJyxSBz.jpg

Or either is acceptable? I assume in the urethane version it is just a straight hole, and the radius in plastic is due to vacu-forming? 

Edited by LTM

• 1 month later...

Thigh cover strips.

Modifying a TFA to TLJ.

Filled the gluing strip with plastic

630abzA.jpg

Sanding with Bondo spray putty

Ef9CeoB.jpg

Quick spray with white to see how it looks

n8TsKw4.jpg

Should the square indent on top right be filled in TLJ?

Edited by LTM

I don't have any clear detailed images of the TLJ recesses, I would presume they would be the same as TFA.

I don't have any clear detailed images of the TLJ recesses, I would presume they would be the same as TFA.

I don’t believe it should be filled, I think it existed. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe it was there, just with no greeblies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

I don’t believe it should be filled, I think it existed. I’m not 100% certain, but I believe it was there, just with no greeblies

Greebles were definitely there 

Screenshot_20230415_140738_Facebook.jpg.a64de4bf0a40830d2ff65f589524ea2c.jpg

Screenshot_20230415_141006_Facebook.jpg.c8d9c752a31e5b0de320db4a8037bffa.jpg

Greebles were definitely there 
Screenshot_20230415_140738_Facebook.jpg.a64de4bf0a40830d2ff65f589524ea2c.jpg

Screenshot_20230415_141006_Facebook.jpg.c8d9c752a31e5b0de320db4a8037bffa.jpg

Maybe I was confused, I thought he was referring to the inner thigh and not the outer thigh. Outer yes, definitely there are greeblies in those slots.

5 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Maybe I was confused, I thought he was referring to the inner thigh and not the outer thigh. Outer yes, definitely there are greeblies in those slots.

I could have been confused, fighting installs on 2 computers presently, brain at 5% active

TLJ inner thigh, no depressions 

TLJ forearm.png

• Like 1

I could have been confused, fighting installs on 2 computers presently, brain at 5% active

TLJ inner thigh, no depressions 
TLJforearm.png.541ebb2f5fd03ef9c2d064a4ff32a995.png

Awesome, that helps confirm it for me. I built my armor I think before more references were there so it wasn’t a noticed or at least CRL requirement I don’t think. It’s been long enough I can’t recall though.

I completely understand the computer installs. I usually have to manage multiple installs with configuration management tools and it’s always a lesson in patience and brain anxiety even when you have used the same code before and it’s worked.

Definite  clear depression on the TFA inner thigh though.

Different cut and type of overlap to TLJ as already pointed out.

All outer thighs seem to have the clip present, unless they were knocked off during filming.

40naiPJ.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, should have been specific on inner thigh where in TLJ it overlaps. I believe on the DN kit there is no indent as well? Going for flat with no detail on inner thigh.

• Like 1

Trying something new. I bought the 3D files that @Cricket used for her son's build. Its an almost perfect match on forearms with IS, so instead of 3D printing the forearms (was not able to get the front to pull up without cracking it), I will combine the two for better definition.

The pull is soft and not much detail, other have rebuilt with plastic but I really don't trust my scratch building and having it hold up under trooping conditions.

Here's the original:

69VYzg9.jpg

Created the lip in ABS, looks like a bracelet.

FtMw1vI.jpg

Decided to do a shelf at the rear part so that the plastic is glued from two angles. This shot is the piece overlaid on the plastic (not cut yet)

ddZadoV.jpg

Success! Joint behind the 3D is filled with epoxy putty. Now to do more sanding.

KcEGN4R.jpg

Nice and crisp from the side

E2ANpgE.jpg

Edited by LTM
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Shins!

Wanted to do a twist on the magnetic closure by @Cricket. I did this on my OTTK, but was always concerned that the magnets didn't have enough hold on the plastic. This time I am enclosing the magnets in plastic with a larger flange for more surface area.

Drilled the holes

q7uTeuB.jpg

Magnets on the outer shin

gyrDQav.jpg

vkX4oOz.jpg

Inside view, plenty of room

IyrIj1M.jpg

Tight closure

pj17K0p.jpg

• Like 6

Nice work, I've long thought of doing that mod to mine, anything that makes dressing a little easier is a win

Test fitting of available pieces. Chest is only fastened at the sides (will do the magnet closure on the sides).

under-suit is from Sheevs. New version on the way.

Asking for feedback as it is easier to make changes now before proceeding further. Some things will sit better or be corrected when I add additional pieces, but you could see something wrong at this point and that is what I am  requesting you let me know.

I think I have the biceps at the correct spot, I have long arms so this is a challenge area for me.

I think I should lower the thighs?

PfiCrZy.jpg

TD will lay a little more straight when I add the butt plate (will use nylon from the TD to hold the butt plate in place).

r6gEir7.jpg

Shoulder bell looks centered? Ignore the chest plate as there are no magnets holding it to the horns at this time.

9uSXuvq.jpg

KCs0aUN.jpg

No padding in the forearms yet, just hanging on my arms so they have rotated.

kBDXvfT.jpg

• Like 1

Overall gaps are looking pretty good, albeit I would bring your forearms up a little, they appears to be just touching the handplates and you have a big gap at the inner elbows.

• Like 1

Continuing on with the torso, adding the boxes

EmygDdD.jpg

Drilled the holes and placed the screws in. Used the nylon screws and nuts, will cut down.

HXmF2dJ.jpg

Time to fill the seam. Using the flexible filler in hopes that I don't get any future cracking.

NC2wynW.jpg

Edited by LTM
  • Like 3

More fun with magnets

I am using a cheap dental vacuum (about 100.00) to make the holders/flange for the magnets. Not only for more surface area for glue, but to also help cushion between the magnets (so they don't shatter).

6sivnUp.jpg

.040 plastic sheet

x9gMxxS.jpg

Pockets like I did on the calves

eLRzREd.jpg

Magnets on the inside of the chest piece. Eventually I will sand and clean it up for a "nicer" look.

ndwwBWf.jpg

• Like 4

Keeping with my theme of easier to suit up (as much as possible), I am going from this rig:

i7igJpw.jpg

To using the installed snaps in my Sheeve's  gasket shirt. The velcro is for my amp box

PMtjm7V.jpg

Will trim the excess after full fitting

QfjyfL1.jpg

So the end of the rams horns are digging into the under-suit

xoHn0hv.jpg

zZs0mqP.jpg

Thinking as it is covered mostly by the gaskets, to cut off the angle and have the highlight follow it down (thoughts?)

XxPpo0n.jpg

• Like 1