Is this an acceptable DLT-19?

A friend of a friend has this 3D printed DLT-19 for sale.  I would like some troopers with more critical eyes to let me know how acceptable this would be for the ANH Stunt - after sanding and painting, of course.  Thanks in advance!

19a.jpg

19b.jpg

As long as it meets the basic guidelines in the CRL for anything above basic level as no blaster required, and it is sanded and finished correctly to remove any print lines, then it should be fine

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rzill said:

A friend of a friend has this 3D printed DLT-19 for sale.  I would like some troopers with more critical eyes to let me know how acceptable this would be for the ANH Stunt - after sanding and painting, of course.  Thanks in advance!

19a.jpg

19b.jpg

9vCCSl0.jpg

Some gallery references for you to compare with 

Looks like a nice kit, the stock looks a little square on the base, could add some curve to it

S16uPuc.jpg

Also the transition from stock to housing is a little off but doubt anyone will really notice that

xeb7Hz4.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:36 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

9vCCSl0.jpg

Some gallery references for you to compare with 

Looks like a nice kit, the stock looks a little square on the base, could add some curve to it

S16uPuc.jpg

Also the transition from stock to housing is a little off but doubt anyone will really notice that

xeb7Hz4.jpg

Yeah, that's the part I was concerned with - the base looks a little off.  But, it might be something I can modify, since it still needs sanding and paint, anyway.  Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rzill said:

Yeah, that's the part I was concerned with - the base looks a little off.  But, it might be something I can modify, since it still needs sanding and paint, anyway.  Thanks!

Most wouldn't even notice a difference there once it's painted, if you are really concerned you could check with your GML (garrison membership liaison) first just to get their opinion. As a GML I would let it pass for basic approval. 

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Most wouldn't even notice a difference there once it's painted, if you are really concerned you could check with your GML (garrison membership liaison) first just to get their opinion. As a GML I would let it pass for basic approval. 

Oh, our Garrison won't care.  I want the butt end to look more accurate, but as for the rest of it, I think it's good based on the opinions shared here.  Of course, there will always be the one trooper who is totally anal and will nit pick it, but I generally ignore them... one advantage of wearing the bucket is how it hides excessive eye rolling.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

"Of course, there will always be the one trooper who is totally anal (that would be me, lol) and will nit pick it, but I generally ignore them..."

Get ready for some nit-picking and ready to roll your eyes, Ron... :laugh1:  I know many (if not most) paint the butt-stock in black, but the ones in ANH were natural wood (brown) as seen in the main detention block room and in the screen used one below.  (It sold at auction for around $85.000.00).

OvC1b0C.jpg   OybC16x.jpg?1

IzVcsFG.jpg

For my 3D version, I painted the stock brown and striated it with some lighter brown/tan to emulate a wood grain.  Not nearly as shiny as the originals but I am happy with it.  Either color is fine for all levels of approval.

FwkmWpO.jpg?2

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:36 AM, justjoseph63 said:

"Of course, there will always be the one trooper who is totally anal (that would be me, lol) and will nit pick it, but I generally ignore them..."

Get ready for some nit-picking and ready to roll your eyes, Ron... :laugh1:  I know many (if not most) paint the butt-stock in black, but the ones in ANH were natural wood (brown) as seen in the main detention block room and in the screen used one below.  (It sold at auction for around $85.000.00).

IzVcsFG.jpg

For my 3D version, I painted the stock brown and striated it with some lighter brown/tan to emulate a wood grain.  Not nearly as shiny as the originals but I am happy with it.  Either color is fine for all levels of approval.

FwkmWpO.jpg?2

Hey Joseph how deep are those grooves in the butt stock? I've been slowly scratch building one and need to figure that out.

If you mean the stock, after getting it perfectly smooth I used some 80 grit to emulate the grain.  If you mean the butt, that's the way it came.  The ridges are about 1/16th of an inch deep.

gzwMnDe.jpg?1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, justjoseph63 said:

IzVcsFG.jpg

FwkmWpO.jpg?2

Awesome, Joseph, thanks!  So, just the stock is brown?  Do you remember exactly what type of paint and color (is it just plain brown, or walnut, something like that)?  And same with the rest of the rifle - what type of paint, and is it just black with some weathering?  By type of paint, I mean is it semi-gloss, metallic, etc?  I do want it to be accuate.

I mean, I already get the "too short for a Stormtrooper" jokes, even though I am 6'1", not to mention the "bad aim" jokes, even though I try to explain that out orders were to let the Rebels escape the Death Star so that we could track them to Yavin.  I blame the Tie Pilots for not shooting down Luke in that battle!  Then maybe my friends would not have been murdered on that Death Star.

Correct, just the stock is brown ;) 

HuZJzod.jpg 

For my build I used a lot of industrial spray paint as they are a little tougher, silver base then the black I used a satin as I find it gives a better appearance. You can add weathering but don't add to the T tracks, they would have been plastic like the E-11's 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...