Fraying canvas belt

I have a tk based on the kit from RWA.
All great but the canvas belt frays a lot at the edges.

I've just tried this stuff (from Dunelm, UK) and, touch wood, it seems to have sorted it without discolouring or otherwise negatively affecting the canvas

a89fed032e8dd777722f696cd28b33ea.jpg

Here's some pics of front and back of the belt. One edge is treated, the other not. I didn't trim loose ends before applying and smoothing the 'glue'.

5c70818c56342bf8f82cc4e16f98a9f5.jpg

b68b0f774aa06f6eb77b7ca8508f0839.jpg

It's comes out of the tube like white latex glue, but dries rubbery and clear.

I applied a thin coat across the edge and on the back side, but none on the face (just in case), then smooth and flattened with my fingers as it started to dry.

• Like 3

That looks really good! Is the material still flexible after applying the glue? (I know it said so on the glue itself, but that doesn't always have work out like that.) 

Edited by Morgi
  • Like 1

That looks really good! Is the material still flexible after applying the glue? Because oftentimes glue can crack and make the material stiff if you apply it to cloth (in my experience at least). 
Yes. It sets like a very flexible clear rubber, and you only need to apply a very thin coating. I've been playing with the parts of the belt I've already treated, and definitely isn't going to crack as it is. I guess it could go hard as it ages, but only time will tell.

Also, it hasn't currently discoloured the white canvas. Again, this could change as it get older.

I'll try and remember to post updates to show how it's holding up in the coming months.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 6:07 AM, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Yes. It sets like a very flexible clear rubber, and you only need to apply a very thin coating. I've been playing with the parts of the belt I've already treated, and definitely isn't going to crack as it is. I guess it could go hard as it ages, but only time will tell.

Also, it hasn't currently discoloured the white canvas. Again, this could change as it get older.

I'll try and remember to post updates to show how it's holding up in the coming months.

Looking at buying some for my belt as well. How many bottles did you need to purchase to treat your TK belt?

22 minutes ago, RageQuit said:

Looking at buying some for my belt as well. How many bottles did you need to purchase to treat your TK belt?

Didn't even use one full bottle. 

Trooped with it yesterday, and no problems.

Recommended.

• Like 1

Had a member tell me today they ran some super glue along the edge and that did the trick for them

• Like 1

Found some in Big W $5 I guess they are all pretty much the same, as long as they dry clear, are flexible and don't wash off when washed then you've got it made 

12002633515038.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Found some in Big W $5 I guess they are all pretty much the same, as long as they dry clear, are flexible and don't wash off when washed then you've got it made 

12002633515038.jpg

Looks like the same gear in a different bottle. Good find.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

Be cool to see how it turns out for you emoji106.png

Applied to belt yesterday, let it set overnight - no way I am getting fraying anymore.

Also added it to the shoulder strap snaps that are sewn in - Sewing on one snap already broken, so fixed that and applied the glue to that as well.

Shoulder Snap Glued.jpeg

Edited by RageQuit
  • Like 1

Really good find this, Rich. I posted not long ago with the same issue so I think I’ll give this a go. Is one bottle plenty for the whole belt?

Sent from The Empire
Yes mate. More than enough.

How I did it...

Trim off only the worst of the fraying. No need to go mad.

Apply to the back face and the edge, not the front face.

Smooth it gently along the edge, just to work it in a bit.

Smooth it on the back face in the direction of the fibres (from centre to edge of belt), again, just to work it in.

Leave 5 to 10 minutes (until it starts to go tacky) then pinch the front and back faces together between finger and thumb (not hard, just to bring them togther). Then run your finger along the edge to smooth it down and give a nice finish. Leave over night.

I didn't do the whole belt in one go. I did over the course of a few days in stages. It made the belt a little less floppy, bit in a good way.

Rich
  • Like 1