Tim’s first time build (RS Prop Masters ESB TK)

TrickyT81

Hi all,

Helmet is nearly finished (finally). 
Please could someone point me in the right direction of tutorials covering sticking on the decals and painting the frown and mouth. 

Thanks,

Tim

• Like 1

Hi all,
Helmet is nearly finished (finally). 
Please could someone point me in the right direction of tutorials covering sticking on the decals and painting the frown and mouth. 

Thanks,
Tim

Hey Tim,

Great job so far. :-)

I’m also currently building an RS helmet and have been doing tutorials as I go. Although this is for ANH Stunt, I hope the vocoder part is still useful for you. :-)

“Vocoder”

Best wishes
Dan

vor 4 Stunden schrieb TrickyT81:

I’m struggling find anything in regards to the stick in on decals for ESB stunt helmet. Is anyone aware of any threads around this?

Just faced the same problem with my own ESB build and from what I can tell, this thread here is your best bet: 

Here's what I did just this afternoon (build thread update to follow): had the decals from Trooperbay, used soapy water to help move them into position, then used a hair dryer to make them lay flush against the plastic. Worked really well :duim:

oWAkxUU.jpeg

Alternatively you can also use decal fluid to apply them with instead. If there's any interest, I could go into more detail on this when I write my build thread update on this particular step. Hope this was helpful!

• Like 1

Most use Trooperbay ESB decals, unfortunately site appears down at the moment https://trooperbay.com/ can view on his Ebay store https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_dmd=2&_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_ssn=trooper_bay&store_cat=0&store_name=trooperbaycostumingsupplies&_oac=1&_nkw=esb decals

To apply you can use warm soapy water, a modelers trick from years gone by but it does take some time to get all the water pushed out from under the decal.

12 hours ago, Morgi said:

"...had the decals from Trooperbay,..."

Are those decals from Trooperbay, Luca?  They look great, but appear to be different from their "normal" type.

uYNIjAC.jpg   OFj7kow.jpg

vor 2 Minuten schrieb justjoseph63:

Are those decals from Trooperbay, Luca?  They look great, but appear to be different from their "normal" type.

uYNIjAC.jpg   OFj7kow.jpg

Well, considering that they're ESB Decals ordered via and sent from Trooperbay, I'd certainly hope so. Maybe theyve updated their decals or I chose a different option of ESB decals?

As they fit and look like ESB I think they should be just fine though, right?

20 minutes ago, Morgi said:

Well, considering that they're ESB Decals ordered via and sent from Trooperbay, I'd certainly hope so. Maybe theyve updated their decals or I chose a different option of ESB decals?

As they fit and look like ESB I think they should be just fine though, right?

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but those look like the FX-ESB type they sell.  The shape is very similar, but on the "Classic" (first image) note the sharp point on the black outline (top left), and the bottom right is not rounded.   Not to worry, though!  I personally would have no issues passing these. :D

CRqcFdk.jpg?2    q8y5mpA.jpg?3

My decals were provided by RS (for their own helmet) so hopefully mine will be ok. 
I do need to cut them out myself though so my next question is whether there black outlines need to be a certain thickness?

Just checking the position of the tube stripes before I stick them on properly.
I can only fit 12 stripes on but I understand this is passable
The placement shown is a pencil width from the side of the cheek as per the CRL but let me know if there are any adjustments I need to make.
13db3641813e91ce465250de2105d7dc.jpg
13a8514b671c85b531aa01f2f0fe9a58.jpg

The positioning from the cheek is good ("pencil width") but they are on the wrong sides.  The fall should lean forward, so just switch sides and you are good to go!

WFq63Ik.png?1

• Like 3

The positioning from the cheek is good ("pencil width") but they are on the wrong sides.  The fall should lean forward, so just switch sides and you are good to go!

WFq63Ik.png?1

I don’t think ESB decals have a left and right, do they?

The stripes leaning forward is more specific to the Set for Stun trooper.

The below ESB screen used is pretty much the same as Tim’s decals.

6b64fcd9d223e4e7be6c10f30d7821ee.jpg
  • Like 2

RS provided my decals which they said was printed from an actual helmet. I was given 2 sets and in each set there was one side with more even spacing between the lines and the other side not so much. I chose to use the decals from each set with the more even spacing as I didn’t think it mattered which side they went on. Is this not the case?

• Like 1

Here's a good reference of the "front fall/angle" from one helmet

molloesb8.jpg.7564fd28f9a64f30b76d9a7f8906ef48.jpg

Just out of interest this is what it looks like swapping sides of the decals. Note no real change on one side but on the other the fall/angle increases 

ff.thumb.jpg.2e46b617aa427d9efacc6c08532c313b.jpgfff.thumb.jpg.5f8b91931ea68e82782f1528a374adbb.jpg

Yet in this comparison of decals and helmet there does not appear to be much of a front fall/angle

newesb_decaltube.jpg.c72d58f712c10699c877a0902b7cd6ec.jpg

It's not as easy to change this fall/angle with ESB decals as they are one piece BUT with ANH being separate stripes you can tweak how you like.

There are lots of other references with very little front fall/angle ;) 

esbHDPE01.jpg.f02911095c12df090c199c104a36d717.jpg

esbHDPE02.jpg.3467cec428cfde6807ccb6eab19e664c.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Helmet nearly complete(?) with just a little more painting to do. 

Whilst I wait for that to dry, can anyone point me in the right direction for any threads that covers the complete list of materials needed for strapping, poppers, hooks (and their sizes). 

Many thanks. 

• Like 1

R63O0di.jpg

Strapping Systems

Rivet Setting 101 by justjoseph63 (Print PDF)

Snap Setting 101 by justjoseph63 (Print PDF)

Snap Setting Hardware Solutions by TheRascalKing

E6000 and Snaps Discussion by Harbinger, Snap Options by ukswrath

Snaps with Rivet Heads by TheSwede

Split Rivet Placement by DroidHunter

How to Use a Rivet Tool by huttman

How to Make Snap Plates by stukatrooper

Elastic ABS Reinforcement by Cricket

Types of Inner Strapping by Shinyarmour1

Internal Strapping by justjoseph63, nrgband

Thigh Garter System by Pencap510

Making Thigh Garters by Spectre

• Like 1

So I’m at the end of the helmet build road (I think).

This has been a lot more difficult than anticipated but enjoyed the challenge. I certainly don’t think this is perfect (but then again where they in the film?) and there are a 101 things I’d change if/when I do this again but I’m pretty pleased with the end result considering I’ve never done anything like this before.

FYI, I’ve ordered a spare set of decals as I’m not happy with the left tear. Because of the contours it kept creasing. After multiple attempts the decal started to get more creased so I’ll be replacing that.

I welcome your feedback…be gentle

32dd7993abb2101255a279a039052dfc.jpg
5f5ce83e0358ebc82ffdeb9ab3e0cf76.jpg
c24654d041e09a2247b0cb1dc5fffc63.jpg
acce5a7d2f4111d6eaade8e4df9559be.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

So it has been a good while since I last posted on my build thread so let me bring you all up to speed with where I am I’m the journey and why it has been so long since my last post. 

While progress has been slow as I’ve been taking my time as well as being busy with other interests, I’m actually quite far ahead now and my confidence in the process has definitely increased. All pieces are trimmed and I’m part way through adding the cover strips. I’ve had great help from my Armourers at UKG to get me to this point. Sadly though, my original Armourer, CableGuy Dan, passed away not so long ago (may he rest well in the galaxy) so I was assigned a new armourer who has been great. 

So where am I now? Well, as mentioned, I’m adding the final cover strips to the limbs and I’m now looking to start piecing together the body armour. I’m going to be going for the snap setting method as outlined in Joseph’s guide and waiting for the materials arrive. 

My question at this point is probably an obvious one; should the exterior of the armour ‘mimic’ the original suits e.g. the small screws on the chest plate that would have held the original strapping. If yes, what size screws do they need to be?

looking forward to the help you can all provide for the next part of my build. 

Thanks,

Tim

1 hour ago, TrickyT81 said:

My question at this point is probably an obvious one; should the exterior of the armour ‘mimic’ the original suits e.g. the small screws on the chest plate that would have held the original strapping. If yes, what size screws do they need to be?

The screws/brackets are not required at any level

Info here if you still wish to add them 

The bracket screws are 5 mm flat head machine screws Gallery

Bracket wire gauge is 1.25mm

The bolts that hold the brackets have 5mm wide heads - they are 7mm long and the nut on the other side measures 5.13mm across the flats.
The spacing between the holes where the metal brackets are placed was 38mm for the centres of each hole.

gallery_12157_59_125493.jpg

A great how to thread from @ukswrath on making bracket supports 

• Like 1

Thanks, Glen. Although screws aren’t a requirement, I like to seemingly replicate the screen accurate armour, including the exterior screws (painted white). Obviously, I won’t be adding the strapping bars, it will just be the screws for show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Just a few things I want to check.

1. I’ve already started trimming the sniper knee but please could I get confirmation that my trim line is correct
f0aa5de7c93b874c7ad945a0113cd47b.jpg
7585c97281d6efbc0303a95a31a5b35a.jpg

2. Check on placement of hole for snap fitting on right side of ab
048c232ebb981287398dbd066e7d23cb.jpg

3. Check on placement of holes for the rivets attaching kidney armour/ab armour

19dc9a20f999858636bb89ef0152fa04.jpg
4cb23b8231a95a9192a728987d9750bd.jpg
65667b27e532ae909a09756e61391d2a.jpg

4. And as a final question, what drill bit size should I use to make the holes?

Thanks everyone,
Tim

Sent from The Empire

• Like 2

I’ll also defer to other detachment members involved with higher levels, but the general idea I understood is 10mm from top and bottom and then the center one needs to be right smack equidistant from the top and bottom ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk