Tim’s first time build (RS Prop Masters ESB TK)

TrickyT81

vor 1 Stunde schrieb TrickyT81:

So in using different reference images there is a contradiction between them. My mind works very literally so if I see something that is from the film, like the photo on starwarshelmets.com, my thinking would be to recreate that.

If you like going by pictures that you want to recreate, I can only recommend this thread:

Joseph selected several references that show what the armor should look like, which means that if you look for the brow (for example), you will only find those "ideal" pictures without the outliers. It's always important to remember that those armors weren't perfect and just because they were used in the movie, it doesn't mean that we want ours to look exactly like that (tape and all, haha). 

In case of the brow, Glen has already provided some amazing images, but perhaps the post above might help with other parts ;)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb TrickyT81:

For example, the photo provided by Luca, the trim is right to the edge of the decal (correct me if I’m not using the right terminology) and in my photo it isn’t

My helmet is an ANH helmet and therefore handpainted without any decals, but technically that would be the right terminology if I had used decals :P

BTW, I love that you're asking so many questions, this is super interesting to read! 

2 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

I do want to build to Centurion level so I’d be interested to know other opinions on this.

Best way is to do what you are doing, asking questions. For Centurion I would go over the latest submissions and study the D.Os comments. 

Edit:

And..In case you might wonder ”who is this guy..does he even know what he’s talking about” I mean I could be just a random guy sharing his opinions:)

I’m previously a D.O here and currently GML for my Garrison. 

Edited by TheSwede

Thanks folks and I appreciate the useful responses :duim:

I’ve never crafted anything before so it’s really beneficial to have such patient and helpful people to answer my many questions (and there will be many more haha). 

Hopefully those following my thread will find answers to questions that will help them with their own builds. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I think this is looking better. The placement of the screws feels more in line with where the originals were and although I haven’t started the ears yet, they seem to fit more naturally into position than before at a quick glance.

e3615451970e41b0f43c3288ae6180cd.jpg
3c234253440f39c96289044af83bcf7c.jpg
5dc1b6e26ed5c000b30abd6bcebc4dae.jpg

Without wanting to get too far ahead of myself, when I have done an initial placement of the ears, it doesn’t appear there will be enough space for the blue track lines. Is this something that tends to work itself out? As I say, it definitely feels like the face/back plate are in the correct position now so I’m assuming this is down to when the ears are correctly trimmed and in position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends here of FISD. 

If there is one thing I’m thankful for is discovering this wonderful community of people :duim:

The other thing I’m thankful for is Black Friday as I’ve managed to bag my build kit from RS at a really good discounted rate. So, once I get the helmet completed (just need to get passed the dreaded ears) then I’m ready to go with the next phase. 

Enjoy your day all. 

• Like 2

Hi all,
I’m currently near complete with the left ear. Before I sand anything down further, I wanted to check positioning and fitting. I’ve taped the ears in position to give you all the best idea.

4720eccc14dd2702da73660f7967c6a6.jpg
07da5978e71a15c3d5bad82edcaf3589.jpg
9bbe507fc93d96b2393a33928ecb852c.jpg

Couple of areas I wanted to check with you all…
1. Because of the ‘ridge’ created by the face/back plate overlap, the top of the ear rocks a little. Should I expect this?

2. The front of the bottom part of the ear doesn’t fully ‘sit’ under the cheek. Again, is this normal and likely to rectify when screwed in place?

Thanks everyone.

Ideal alignment

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Adding a step to the top of the ear allows it to sit flush and stop any rocking

cap ear fit.pngDSCN1846_zpsae23eaaf.jpg

A great helmet build to follow

A lot of screen used helmets had gaps, many of us just like a flush fit look, it's all about fine tuning and sanding ;) 

DaveMANH06.jpg.07de830b277a2482f3b05d54d366d6b6.jpgDaveMANH08.jpg.e6347f9da11783eed47b534dc754a8d7.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt02.thumb.jpg.80b0a34c6398172cb0989587ec4b752c.jpg

Helpful as always, Glenn. I don’t think I’m far off. One of the reasons it’s taken me this long is the fact I’m doing it bit by bit. 
 It’s hard to tell on the reference images I’ve been looking at and on your photos but am I correct in saying that the edge of the bottom part of the ear is likely to sit at a slight angle and not necessarily ‘flush’ with edge of the face/back plate?

Been a while since I did an RS helmet, but on ATA they sit flush.

Here's one of Dan's @CableGuy RS helmet builds/renovations, more images there which may be of help

• Like 1

A couple of EIB approved RS helmets, note the left ear angle gap on bottom so I'd say it's common ;) 

UrQ2D9d.jpg

9SXU5Ar.jpg

IMG-8459.jpg

Hey trooper,

Yes, the ears are always a pain in the bum. ;-)

As Glen mentioned, the bottom of the ear don’t always sit flush, however the s-trim can partly cover this.

Here’s my latest RS build - the left ear is aligned to match the rear line of the trap (as per most screen used helmets), yet there is still a gap at the bottom.

db47d3b895a24beb740048da717e97e8.jpg

More photos and discussion here, if you fancy a look.

Hi Dan, 

That’s looking like a really nice build. I’ve ended up ordering a new set of ears because I feel I can do a lot better with the build. Luckily not been charged so I get another shot to get it the way I want. 

Because I got my helmet from RS it made sense to me to follow their tutorial but I’m assuming this doesn’t really matter?

Thanks,

Tim

1 hour ago, TrickyT81 said:

Because I got my helmet from RS it made sense to me to follow their tutorial but I’m assuming this doesn’t really matter?

I've seen members do a better job with assembly than RS, you can use their tutorial as a guide but I'd follow Dan's @CableGuy builds for sure

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I've seen members do a better job with assembly than RS, you can use their tutorial as a guide but I'd follow Dan's @CableGuy builds for sure

I cannot agree more.  RS makes a dynamite set of armor no doubt, but we have experienced a lot of ongoing issues with their commission builds for quite a while for those aiming for Centurion.  Dan will not steer you wrong, though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I last posted so thought I’d provide an update. 

I had issues with the ears and needed order a new set. I’m getting these along with my full armour kit which is why there is a delay while they work through these orders. 

I’m hoping to have both by the end of the month so 2022 will be all about completing this build. 

Keep with me people :duim:

• Like 1

Great to hear from you Tim, we look forward to seeing your build complete and approved.

I hope you plan to go for EI and Centurion :)

10 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I last posted so thought I’d provide an update. 

I had issues with the ears and needed order a new set. I’m getting these along with my full armour kit which is why there is a delay while they work through these orders. 

I’m hoping to have both by the end of the month so 2022 will be all about completing this build. 

Keep with me people :duim:

No rush, Tim!  We are here for you, so take your time. :D

13 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

Thanks, fellas. 

Yes, Andrew, absolutely aiming for Centurion :salute:

Well done sir, we are here to help make that a reality for you.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,
So new set of ears done and feel this is looking much better. Below are some pictures to give you an idea and if you look closely you should just be able to make-out where I’ve pencilled in where I’ll drill the screw holes. Obviously, the ears are just taped on so some of the gaps won’t be as big when the screws tighten everything up.
e2e587063bdec6ae674618cef8d90c02.jpg
e2e54511e2ad925aac4f26b6f8e13a07.jpg
deea40e9bc74d782dc961f4766575501.jpg
ba94e1f8da44f05ed56ceabcd9077472.jpg
143dfe71fce36d60957293de52e716dd.jpg

I would also like some additional advice before I screw these on. Should I anticipate any ‘shifting’ from the position I’ve marked/trimmed them to? I’m conscious this may cause ears to not sit in the position and angle I intend.

Thanks all,
Tim

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Adding a step to the top of the ears will allow them to come in a little more

cap ear fit.png

Hi Glen,

Thanks for reshaping this. I did follow this tutorial and found it really useful. Forgive the angle and taped up ears, it gives the impression that the gaps are bigger than what they are but when held in place securely it does sit much more nicely. 

Just as an additional question, is it common to have more space on one cheek than the other, therefore allowing less/more blue stripes?

• Like 1

Just now, TrickyT81 said:

Just as an additional question, is it common to have more space on one cheek than the other, therefore allowing less/more blue stripes?

Can happen depending on maker and also how the helmet has been assembled, won't be an issue for approval (should be ok at any level, dependent on the DO's of course)

CRL mentions 9 to 16 stripes, although 13 is pretty standard

• Tube stripes are medium blue, numbering between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending
  • backwards.

Some great ESB references here http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ESB-stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm