Tim’s first time build (RS Prop Masters ESB TK)

TrickyT81

Hi everyone, 
Thanks for clicking into read my build thread and hopefully you’ll follow my journey all the way to 501st approval. 

First a bit of background about me so far…
Earlier this year I fulfilled a lifelong dream of finally getting my hands on a ANH Hero Stormtrooper helmet (RS). This then developed into wanting to join the 501st so had a commission build by RS, got my 501st approval and reached EI level, which I’m completely thrilled with. I never would have thought that ticking something off on my ‘bucket’ list would lead me to where I am now, I want to build my own. I never had the confidence to do this myself with my first piece of armour but now I have something that I can refer to as a ‘template’, I feel ready to give it a go. My goal is to achieve Centurion. 

Where I’m at now…
So I’ve researched the differences in the armour, from what I understand ESB is a little easier as it takes some of the more challenging elements out of the build e.g. stick on decals rather than hand painted. I intend to go with RS again for a few reasons: their customer service is excellent, I’m lucky enough to live not too far away and they allowed me to visit so they could make adjustments for my 501st approval. Not only that, it’s direct lineage armour. 

For cost reasons, I’m starting off with the helmet, getting the tools I need for that and then purchase the armour later. I think this will help ease me into it as well. 

Questions I have at this point…

1. I’ve read on some threads that there can be differences in ABS colour if purchased at a later date. Is this the case and is it something I need to consider if I order my bucket and armour separately?
  2. In terms of tools required for the helmet, is the below correct?
Dremel
Tin snips
Rivet gun
Needle file set
Fine sandpaper
White gloss paint - Humbrol #22 (for screws and mic tips(?))
Grey gloss paint - Humbrol #5 (for ear bars)
Black gloss paint - Humbrol #22 (for frown, ear bar outline and bumps)
I’m assuming RS will provide screws, u-trim, strapping and rivets but I will check this with them before ordering. 

I like to take my time. I plan and research an awful lot to make sure I’m making good decisions,  so there maybe longer periods of inactivity. Please stick with me default_duim.gif

Thanks again for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading all your helpful advice and recommendations. 

It’s 11:09am UK time on the 17th July….so it begins!

Tim

• Like 2

I've been looking forward to this, Tim!

As for your questions:

"I’ve read on some threads that there can be differences in ABS colour if purchased at a later date. Is this the case and is it something I need to consider if I order my bucket and armour separately"?

I wouldn't worry about that too much.  It takes time for any yellowing to occur, but heat can affect the color as well so just keep it in a cool place during (and after) construction and you should have no issues.

"In terms of tools required for the helmet, is the below correct"?

Looks like you have everything you need to have on your list.  I would suggest seeing if anyone close to you in the UKG has a rivet gun to save you some money, since the bucket is the only thing you will need it on. ;)

"I like to take my time. I plan and research an awful lot to make sure I’m making good decisions,  so there maybe longer periods of inactivity. Please stick with me".

Along with posting LOTS of photos (especially before cutting if you have an issue) that is the best course of action.  And yes, we will be with ya' through thick and thin!

• Like 1

Didn’t take long to get going on this did it Joseph!?:)

Good to know about the ABS colouring. I wasn’t sure whether the colour be different in terms of being produced in a different batch. That being said, my current armour had the armour and helmet produced at different times and I can’t see a difference. 

Good shout on the rivet gun, I’ll reach out on the UKG forum :duim:

• Like 3

This is so cool Tim. Really excited for you.

If we lived a little closer (not opposite sides of the country) I'd happily loan you my rivet gun. If no one near you has one let me know anyway and we'll sort something out :duim:

A lot of the armour is the same between ANH and ESB, so you may find you don't need to build a complete new set; just the odd pieces that need that extra bit of work. Might save you some time and effort.

Good luck with this Tim. With everything you've already done with the previous armour you're gonna walk this :dancing-trooper:

11 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

Where I’m at now…
So I’ve researched the differences in the armour, from what I understand ESB is a little easier as it takes some of the more challenging elements out of the build e.g. stick on decals rather than hand painted.

Hello and welcome looking forward to seeing your build.

Actually you can use decals on all levels of ANH (as long as you use Dave M style, which appear hand painted).

There really isn't too much difference between ANH and ESB, many purchase another helmet and get approved with both versions. Here's a great data sheet on the differences.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CallMeMrTibbles said:

This is so cool Tim. Really excited for you.

If we lived a little closer (not opposite sides of the country) I'd happily loan you my rivet gun. If no one near you has one let me know anyway and we'll sort something out :duim:

A lot of the armour is the same between ANH and ESB, so you may find you don't need to build a complete new set; just the odd pieces that need that extra bit of work. Might save you some time and effort.

Good luck with this Tim. With everything you've already done with the previous armour you're gonna walk this :dancing-trooper:

Thanks, Rich. I’m not sure you’d want me living close to you, I’d probably be knocking on your door every day haha. Luckily, I have a good neighbour who pretty much has every tool you can think of so wouldn’t be surprised if he has a rivet gun so will check with him. 

I know what you mean about not having to get a completely new set of armour. In my mind though, I have to know I’ve built the whole thing from top to bottom, this will feel a greater achievement for me :duim:

• Like 1

No worries mate. If your man doesn't have one just send me a message. And I'd always be up for a TK related visit (Had one yesterday as it happens!)

Hats off to you for wanting to do it all from scratch. Much respect

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
Just thought I’d check in with an update. 

My birthday is August 24 so will be looking to get my helmet around that time (had to order my TRamp first ready for my first troop). 

In the meantime, I’m just gathering all my tools together needed for the helmet side of the build. I have everything apart from the dremel. 

Having watched a few videos on helmet builds, I’m thinking I may not need to invest in the dremel at this point. From what I understand I can still do the job with the lexan scissors and craft knives (for cutting the holes in the eyes and frown), then sand down using the needle files and sandpaper. Is that correct?

I also like to keep things organized and saw this tool box on Amazon. Looks good for storing all the build tools as well as suitable drawers for things like rivets, screws, snaps etc. what do you think? Are there any better ones for me to consider?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Utility-Organiser-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B01AC3Y63Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=utility+tool+box&qid=1627720394&sprefix=utility+tool&sr=8-3

Thanks,
Tim

You can certainly get away without purchasing a Dremel type rotary tool to use for the helmet, but since you will eventually be building a whole set of armor I would suggest picking one up.  It will make things much easier (trust me) and it comes in handy for all sorts of projects in the future.  You don't have to buy the Dremel brand, though... there are many less expensive alternatives out there for a lot less.  Here is a cordless one I found on the UK Amazon site for less than 25 pounds.

As for the tool box, absolutely without a doubt.  Staying organized during your build is one of the things I suggest most, and this is an excellent idea!

• Like 1

Hey Tim, good luck on the build dude! I look forward to following!!

Yes, RS used to use a whiter plastic - their current stock doesn’t match my armor from 2017. I’ve yet to find an exact match for it, but older Anovos armor seems to be pretty close if you can get your hands on some.

I’m not really sure if/how having a few slightly yellower bits will effect approval though (it bothers my inner perfectionist ). @justjoseph63 can advise I’m sure!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1nfern0 said:

@justjoseph63 can advise I’m sure!

LOL.  A lot of it will depend on just how much difference there is in color.  Pieces can certainly be whitened... not the easiest thing to to but well worth the effort.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:00 PM, 1nfern0 said:

Hey Tim, good luck on the build dude! I look forward to following!!

Yes, RS used to use a whiter plastic - their current stock doesn’t match my armor from 2017. I’ve yet to find an exact match for it, but older Anovos armor seems to be pretty close if you can get your hands on some.

I’m not really sure if/how having a few slightly yellower bits will effect approval though (it bothers my inner perfectionist ). @justjoseph63 can advise I’m sure!

Hi Garrett,

It will be all systems go at the end of the month, starting with the helmet. My current armour, which was an RS commission, I ordered the helmet first, then decided to get the full suit so this arrived a month or 2 later. There is no difference in the colour to be honest, so I think I should be ok. There won’t be a long period between the helmet and the armour either (finances allowing). 

• Like 1

The good news is that you will be building this set yourself!  Hopefully you will be aiming for Centurion right out of the box (completely possible with an RS kit), so this way you will be able to avoid the issues from your commission build (ab/kidney rivet placement, etc.).

We are here to help, so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!

• Like 2

Hi all,

Just checking in with you all. I’m still in research phase for the helmet build and have been looking at these images HERE of an original ESB helmet. One thing I want to clarify is whether the vocoder should be painted with gloss or matt paint. I’m unsure of this because, for my EI request I had a recommendation to repaint the vocoder in gloss but the images at the above link look matt. It’s possible that I got this feedback based on the fact it was for ANH Hero which maybe the difference in this instance. Nevertheless, if someone can clarify that would be great. 

Thanks folks,

Tim

I actually use a satin black, I find matt can appear too flat, almost dark grey and chalky. I also use satin on the teeth, you can just see a hint of shine.

origESBpatch01.jpg.baba48eb4813894367443f67aa740cea.jpgmollostormESB3.jpg.269797c5f167554d0b75659df176434f.jpg

molloesb12.jpg

• Like 1

Glen nailed it there, Tim.  As seen in the reference images the paint on the teeth for ESB and vocoders is neither shiny nor flat, but in-between (satin).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TrickyT81 said:

That makes a lot of sense. Feel like I’m about to as if the sky is blue but just to confirm, Humbrol no. 85 (satin, coral black) is the paint you’re recommending?

That's the one :duim:

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered my helmet today which will hopefully arrive soon so I can get building. Also managed to bag myself a deal on a Dremel so happy days. 

I hope you’re all prepared for my relentless amount of questions haha. 

Edited by TrickyT81
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TrickyT81 said:

I hope you’re all prepared for my relentless amount of questions haha. 

That's what we are here for, "troopers helping troopers" there's no such things as too many questions ;) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it begins…

I picked up my Brown Box from RS this afternoon and can’t wait to get started.

5e41cc18719424956014be5c37822753.jpg

To ease me into the build, I’m going to start by cutting out the eyes and teeth. For this I was going to use craft knives and needle files.

d9c805cba2f8bc5f4480b1d881c85094.jpg

d20c3b4e873a471659e9e4ea068d0d01.jpg

I’ll be sure to measure twice (or in my case probably 20 times) and cut once. Any advice for cutting the eyes and teeth to get me started?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from The Empire

• Like 3

Oh happy days, what no panic yet :laugh1:

A couple of great go to helmet builds.

Some great helmet references here and also here

Also when building check with the gallery sections 

And most importantly if you don't know ask ;) 

Good luck with the build 

• Like 1

Hi all,

I’ve started the helmet this weekend and so far done some basic trimming of the face/back plates (nothing worthy of progress photos yet). 

Before I head into the assembly part, I’ve looked at some of the build threads above which have been really useful. Equally useful are the video tutorials and wanted to ask which of these would be a good one to follow. 

RS helmet tutorials (in episodes)

TK lid build

Logic tells me to follow the RS tutorial (it is an RS lid afterall) but I do like the way TK uses magnets to hold the 2 parts in place while he adds the rivets. 

So my questions are:

1. Will following different parts of the tutorials in each of the videos affect the build? (e.g. using magnets in TK’s method as opposed to the RS method)
  2. Is it better to just follow the RS tutorial as this is specific to the lid I’m building

Thanks folks.