Possible Solution to Yellowing Armor

My TK armor has yellowed like many and I may have found a way to stop that although I have no way too test this out myself, other than to share my knowledge. I am very messy with CA glue. This is the start. i have noticed that where ever the thin CA glue dripped and ran on my suit, that spot or run underneath is still white. Everything else turned yellow. Perhaps dipping the armor in thin CA glue may prevent this.  I do lots of parades and outdoor trooping in heat. Here is a crappy photo of one spot. You'll see the run is white and armour is yellow. 

20210714_155848.jpg

I've never heard of this before, although I would suspect it would be a costly and less accurate way to coat the plastic.

Here are a few other threads on armor yellowing:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

• Like 2

The issue with CA glue is that it becomes brittle over time, and depending on the manufacturer it can also turn an ugly (and permanent) shade of yellow.  If applied is large areas it could potentially ruin the appearance of some parts (especially the calves, which are opened and closed a lot) with spiderweb type exterior cracks.

I always suggest that it never be used on a build.  I built the majority of my first set armor using it and ended up selling it on ebay because of the dripping issues.  The gel type is easier to work with, but it also become brittle with age and can cause joins to fail.  Trust me.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb gmrhodes13:

I've never heard of this before, although I would suspect it would be a costly and less accurate way to coat the plastic.

Here are a few other threads on armor yellowing:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Those are amazing resources for making your armor white again, but I was wondering, whether there's anything you can do to protect your armor from the beginning? 

Especially in the last post they mentioned UV protectant wax/spray and I was wondering, whether there are any recommendations as for what to use, or whether there are other options available to protect your armor. 

• Like 1

There are a few variables, including what type of ABS your armorer uses.  I have trooped for countless hours in the Florida sun in my AM armor with no noticeable yellowing, but my Anovos (Hero) armor has only been used a few times (it stays in a bin otherwise) and has gone darker.

Even without sunlight, heat can (and will) cause yellowing, so it's best to store your bin in a controlled environment if possible.

Once I get it back to it's original color I will be trying this product.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TK-4510 said:

You guys should try my ARMOR WHITE. Works great to restore the white your armor and can be re applied as needed with no harm to the armor or paint.

Where may I find this armor white? 

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

Where may I find this armor white? 

https://trooperbay.com/trooperbay-armorwhite-plastic-whitening-gel

armorwhitex.thumb.jpg.b43c349f975deec46e0f7a7b644397bf.jpg

• Like 2