wip Stormtrooper ANH, RS Prop master.

I'm going for A New Hope style .
Hi I’m Paul,

I bought a Tk stunt armour kit from RS Prop Masters and I have followed their youtube videos.

I’m going for A New Hope Style stormtrooper.

I’m vegan so I would like to avoid using leather. To make the blaster holster I'm exploring vinyl and fake suede. the boots I have are vinyl. There is a flaw in the boots, a right angled seam on the top of each boot makes them look different from the films.

A neck seal is on its way.

I'm having a little problem with the button snaps that connect the belt to the front of the suit.

I know I’m slightly tall for a stormtrooper at 6’2.

I am also in want of an ANH e-11 blaster. But I have Rubies Costume Star Wars Rebels, Stormtrooper Blaster as a stand in.

• Like 1

Hey Paul, welcome to FISD. Are you building this for 501st entry or just fun? I only ask because if they boots are off you might want to get a second opinion. It’s hard to see them in the pics. As for the holster, if going the 501st route the CRL says it just can be “leather like” so it looks like your on the right track. What’s the issues with the buttons? Just the fact your too tall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

Hey Paul, welcome to FISD. Are you building this for 501st entry or just fun? I only ask because if they boots are off you might want to get a second opinion. It’s hard to see them in the pics. As for the holster, if going the 501st route the CRL says it just can be “leather like” so it looks like your on the right track. What’s the issues with the buttons? Just the fact your too tall?

Thank you Frank

Well I'm not sure if I'll fit in with the 501st, I am shy at first and then I warm up to people but I don't think like be shy in the armour. In fact I was at a local comic con on Sunday and I couldn't buck up courage to speak to the guys in the 501st t-shirts at the stand. I'd like to see if I can get my armour cleared though.

I have add a top down photo of my boots to my gallery. that's great to hear about the holster. I think the positioning of the buttons is too tight and raised bit under where the belt goes stop the buttons from clicking, I'm think of adding an extra something there to make it work.

Does it matter how tall a stormtrooper is? in the boots and with the helmet I think i go from 6'2 to 6'4 maybe? 

Edited by The Vegan Stormtrooper

Hi Paul, no sir, no height restrictions at all.

We have troopers around the world of varying heights and builds so you have no issue at 6'4.

Welcome to FISD!

• Like 1

Well for the most part the 501st is an amazing group of people, you should at least reach out and get to know them. The good thing about a helmet is the fact that nobody can see you. Where are you from?

• Like 3

One thing I noticed from your gallery photos is it looks like you might have your fore arms on the wrong arm.

One has 11 dimples the other 12. If you take a look at some screen shots in our Gallery that will help you get those finer accuracy details you may like to have.

Currently you have the 12 dimple on the left arm. You can also tell by the way the top of the fore arm tappers, as it should be high at elbow and taper down to the inside bend. I think you will find it a touch easier to bend your arms once swapped.

Here is an example for you of the dimples that run down the outside of the forearm, but overall you have done a really nice job of your armour build sir :salute:

gLv2d57.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Vegan Stormtrooper said:

There is a flaw in the boots, a right angled seam on the top of each boot makes them look different from the films.

Hi Paul.  Welcome to the FISD.  I have the same boots (they are my backup pair).  I believe the seam is Ok for basic approval.  If you want to upgrade and you can't find white vinyl boots without that seam, you can always try to find brown or black boots and paint them white. Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Paul.  Welcome to the FISD.  I have the same boots (they are my backup pair).  I believe the seam is Ok for basic approval.  If you want to upgrade and you can't find white vinyl boots without that seam, you can always try to find brown or black boots and paint them white. Cheers.

Okay, that’s cool but will they be an issue for clearance?

35 minutes ago, The Vegan Stormtrooper said:

Okay, that’s cool but will they be an issue for clearance?

The screen used boots were painted. Probably best to check with your GML to be sure. 

The screen used boots were painted. Probably best to check with your GML to be sure. 

Yeah I just touched base with my armourer from the uk Garrison. And he mentioned that I should buy some black or brown Chelsea boots to paint/ dye white.

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

I'm also vegan, 6'4" in my socks and no helmet, and in the UK.
Really cool to see you here.
Below are what I used, just to give you some ideas.

I got my boots from Asos

https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-chelsea-boots-in-black-faux-leather-with-black-sole/prd/21328697?ctaRef=my%20orders

And dyed/painted them white

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P5H6Z2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5Q3F2XEFAXJN9Y5C8CFG

I got my holster from Burkbench (just ask for faux leather)

https://www.facebook.com/burkbenchdesigns/

And my neck seal (along with my armour) from RWA.

For the blaster I went for a rubber Sheartech e11

https://www.facebook.com/sheartech/

If I have forgotten anything or you have more questions just ask!

Finally, I totally understand when you say about being shy and unable to approach people. If we're ever at an event together (I'm sure we will be) it will be a pleasure to meet you, and we can look for the vegan fast food stall together!

All the very best with your build,
Rich

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is that the zipper or Velcro of your neck seal at the front?

If so, It should be turned around so it is at the back :)

Looking good otherwise Paul.

• Like 1

Looking good, you may want to adjust your arm gaps, try bringing your forearm down a little more, you have quite a big gap at the wrists ;) 

goy.png.e75e502519db067e5e1e35f35a827b8f.png

• Like 1

8381b2e834a567c22bc8d87989e6c008.jpg

I do have long forearms but it could be the glove slipping off? I’m wearing white gloves underneath? I’ve already spent time making the elbow joint closer there’s only so much a lanky boy can do? If anyone is in the uk garrison, can they explain why my armourer doesn’t respond to my posts?

They're one armourer down at the moment due to long term illness, so I guess they are a bit more stretched at the mo. I've been having the same issue with it taking a while to get replies, but they've got back in touch eventually. If you're concerned then maybe send them a private message in case your post has been missed.

• Like 1

They're one armourer down at the moment due to long term illness, so I guess they are a bit more stretched at the mo. I've been having the same issue with it taking a while to get replies, but they've got back in touch eventually. If you're concerned then maybe send them a private message in case your post has been missed.

Okay I’m getting the feeling that the uk garrison is quiet small? I Can’t seem to find any evidence of people being located locally in bristol???

Re your arm gaps...

I'm in a similar boat as you re having long arms (maybe it's a vegan thing ).

Some screen grabs of armour show the gap between the bicep and the forearm as very small or sometimes almost nonexistent, which is fine if that suits your arm length.

(Yours look very close to this)
08c5f09cec71215ac332288b44e18f9f.jpg

But, if your arms are longer then it's going to look better to try and keep the gap from bicep-to-forearm and from forearm-to-handguard the same as much as possible.

(This is me, just as an example. Slightly bigger gap at the elbow, to reduce the gap at the wrist)
615eff5ee6b8629f4a06424459a40e09.jpg

That's why Glenn said about lowering your forearms, even though it means having a larger gap at the elbow.

I also wear my biceps lower than most to help reduce the elbow gap (although I went a little too far and need to raise them back up a smidge)

• Like 2

Yeah I see, feedback would be so much easier to take in person. I’m going to see a friend today who’s been an imperial officer and is making a shore trooper hopefully chatting with him with put me more at ease.

• Like 1