Hello from Central Florida

Xim

Hello everyone,

I received my BBB a couple weeks ago.  I am working on an AM 4.5 TK build.  I have been lurking the past couple weeks and reading everything I can on here.  In some ways its very intimidating because I worry about making a bad cut!  I have worked with EVA foam for cosplay. and when I mess up, I can just build a new piece.  For this armor, I am being overly slow and cautious before I do any trimming.

I am from the Orlando area, and this is something I have wanted to build for many years, but just could not find the money or time previously.  Having my TK armor and joining the 501st is really a bucket list item for me! This has been a dream for over 40 years, so I am very excited to start getting into this!

I have gained so much knowledge just from reading these forums already, that I want to thank everyone who has shared tips from their experiences because it is very helpful!

• Like 3

Welcome to the FISD, Alan.  Yeah, the first few cuts are terrifying - but it does get easier.  lol.  Going slow and cautious is a good approach, but keep in mind that most mistakes can be fixed.  A great way to get advice from the community is to start a build thread and post lots of pictures.  Good luck on your build!

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

The way you've described how you got here is almost exactly the same as my journey, and reading others posts its the same as many others. Pretty much everyone here can identify with you, I'm sure.

And you're definitely in the right place. You'll be hard pushed to find a more knowledgeable and supportive lot than right here, I can testify to that.

Good luck with your build. If you have any questions, however weird or silly you think they are, post here. We've all been there, and you'll always get help.

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Alan, congratulations for your BBB day and be sure most  of us had been  in your seat before !!  We encourage you to aim for the high levels just from start, it well deserves the work.

You can open a build thread according to the version you want to Build  :

ANH Stunt

ESB TK

ROTJ TK

Post tons of photos and when in doubt ask questions before any cut or mod.  "Measure twice, cut and glue just once"

We are here to help.  :salute::salute::salute:

• Like 2

Hello and welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing your build

When in doubt check out the reference Galleries

Also remember measure twice and cut once, if you don't know something just ask, there's always someone not too far away ready to help.

Good luck

• Like 1

Welcome, Alan, and know that you are definitely in the right place!  I have trooped in AM armor for many years and couldn't be happier with quality.   Being in the Orlando area you will eventually be joining the Makaze Squad.  Some of the advantages of being in this area are:

1.  A GREAT group of 501st addicts.

2.  TONS of trooping opportunities (the last year I was in that squad we had over 250 events to choose from in the greater Orlando area)!

3.  You have some of the best folks in the Legion on a local basis that can help you with your armor build.  My very good friend Gary Collins (jr.)  is a genius when it comes to all things shiny white armor and often holds some epic armor parties.  Link here to see what this entails.  Tell him "Joseph sent ya".  If you need contact info. just PM me.

• Like 1

I know your excited to get started. Definitely take your time. Because rushing through may cause a mistake that can set you back and use more money and time. start build thread here and you can get tons of help and insight. Good luck cant wait to see a thread and see what its looking like.

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Adam, you re in good hands here sir.

AM is a nice sturdy kit, so should last you some good trooping years for sure.

I look forward to your build thread.

Heyhey and welcome! You're in the right place haha

AM is awesome armor, great choice! Just some quick notes/tips on it, if it helps:

- remember that even though the kit is rough trimmed and has no cut lines, pretty much EVERY piece still needs to be trimmed at least a couple millimeters! Check all of your measurements and keep cutting/sanding away slowly

- don't worry about the biceps being super oval - build and fully glue them, then hot water bath them into shape

- reinforce your shoulder bridges! The extra pre-bent ABS that was originally included as plain 'Sandie' style bridges works well for gluing to the underside

- AM's tube stripe stickers are a little dark, so either go with the Humbrol blue or replace them if you want to go for the brighter French blue ab button paint - I've also heard it said that their helmet decals' black outline is a little thick, so trim it before placing them if you want to go for super accuracy - mist some soapy water and 'float' them into place, then squeegee it out - it shouldn't hurt the stickers

- remember to taper your forearm armor - it comes cut straight and really should be at an angle, getting more narrow at the wrists

- ensure you cut off the 'crotch tab' that extends from the posterior armor

- AM kits come with the parts needed to convert to ESB or Sandie as well, so if you keep that in mind for things like the belt, you can plan ahead for extra approvals if that's your thing... but don't panic if there are extra parts you don't know what to do with

- save some scrap ABS for slurry in case of repairs, and save any extra ABS in general - AM is a very thick, bright white ABS that is a little tricky to match (not as bad as Anovos though)

I'll try to post up if I remember any more offhand, but those are a few common AM-specific quirks that may help (I've built 3-4 of them recently)! Good luck - do lots of research and ask lots of questions, we're here to help!

Edited by TheRascalKing