Revvek’s ANOVOS TK upgrades (stunt)

Revvek

I removed it for a second time and walked away for the day... 

But the next time I had time to work on it I got it installed properly! 

ERfCqjtl.jpg ouqa5O9l.jpg wtufnOAl.jpg

and applied paint last night!

3aoHYoNl.jpg?1

I use a hole punch the same size as the head of the rivet to make my mask. 

and also a hand torch quickly brushed over the paint to pop any bubbles.

I used Testers White Enamel

dsAzgGEl.jpg?1

Edited by Revvek
add photo

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I did an update, lots going on with work...

I know this isn't the most exiting build log... but maybe it will contain something helpful down the road for someone...

The scarping is DONE!  found another seam needed to be re glued... 

tKbJMN5l.jpg

It was time to start learning how to do snaps. 

I got a bunch of Tandy line 24 snaps and the setting tools.

first attempts proved that using a hammer and setting tools, don't work so good in soft materials like elastic...

got some crazing bending...

bwKEC9Dl.jpg

making one side not remotely aligned with the other in this case... 

T5YIMBFl.jpg?1

So I bought some snap pliers off Amazon.

VsSgGukl.jpg

That made all the difference! (right tool for the job is a thing)

2Cqd08cl.jpg

I'm going to use webbing for the armor side in most places, not squares of plastic. This 1" black will likely work, but 1.5" wide will give just that bit more glue surface.

Edited by Revvek
  • Like 1

Really glad to see that you went with the "double snap" method, Steve.  Pretty much guarantees that nothing will ever come apart during a troop!

Since the black nylon straps that hold the shoulder bells to the shoulder bridge elastic are normally 1" wide, you can still use the double snap method on these as well.  Just be sure to put a piece of elastic under the snaps on the white elastic for some added strength (blue arrow).  Paint the tops white and you are in business!

UC1ab0L.jpg?1

• Like 1

I also find if you offset the snaps on the shoulder straps more towards the front it helps to rotate the shoulder inwards when moving the arms around.

UC1ab0L.jpg.38709be19254643132efb5cc64d95e53.jpg

Double snaps have helped me on more than one occasion to keep on trooping ;) 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I also find if you offset the snaps on the shoulder straps more towards the front it helps to rotate the shoulder inwards when moving the arms around.

UC1ab0L.jpg.38709be19254643132efb5cc64d95e53.jpg

Double snaps have helped me on more than one occasion to keep on trooping ;) 

Ok, I see how making them a bit forward would help...

So, you put the black strap under the white elastic and snap down onto it?  Interesting... I like it.

is there a good reason the shoulders are elastic and not 2" white webbing? I have been considering just using some webbing. 

Some use sew on snaps, I'm thinking of gluing some reinforcement around the snap area, and just using holes like the ends.

First, I need to figure out how long to make the things.  Probably going to start by just making 9" long straps, attaching the snap points on the back plate, then sorting out where to put them on the front and that should tell me how long to make them...

4 minutes ago, Revvek said:

Ok, I see how making them a bit forward would help...

So, you put the black strap under the white elastic and snap down onto it?  Interesting... I like it.

is there a good reason the shoulders are elastic and not 2" white webbing? I have been considering just using some webbing. 

Some use sew on snaps, I'm thinking of gluing some reinforcement around the snap area, and just using holes like the ends.

Yes black under the white, this is in case they pull then you will see white from the top and not black.

Webbing doesn't allow any movement, plus it is what was used on screen armor ;) 

e7nuWKG.jpg?1  83VZq1e.jpg?1

Adding some glue to elastic before adding snaps will give a little extra strength, I used to do this until I discovered using a soldering iron enforced the hole so no longer required glue. 

• Like 1

Found time this morning to start making some snap mounts for my shoulder straps. 
I cut a bunch of white webbing nuggets, then used 123 blocks to help isolate the edge and sealed them with a torch. 
iniWvI9l.jpg

Then I marked the hole placement using a template I created and punched holes with a soldering iron. 
sp6SEqIl.jpg

Counted out the snap parts and started to go to town with the crimping tool!

ngACsvAl.jpg
This thing works great!

Edited by Revvek
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First snaps finally getting glued in place!
e6000 in place and let the clamps at it. (They were hungry)

am I doing this right? 
ZfQ9x9Tl.jpg

Edited by Revvek
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Revvek said:

am I doing this right? 

Looks good to me.

I used some scrap pieces of ABS on the top and bottoms of the snap plates to hold them down flush, then clamp, I don't bother clamping the actual snap. Note some in the past have had issues with a reaction between the snap and E6000 which can cause heat so try to keep the glue away from the actual snap, I've not experienced it myself but doesn't hurt to be cautious ;) .

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't bother clamping the actual snap. Note some in the past have had issues with a reaction between the snap and E6000 which can cause heat so try to keep the glue away from the actual snap, I've not experienced it myself but doesn't hurt to be cautious ;) .

This^. Clamp the webbing, not the snap :) I also scuff up the plastic underneath to promote mechanical adhesion, if you aren't already.

Edited by TheRascalKing

vor 18 Stunden schrieb gmrhodes13:

Note some in the past have had issues with a reaction between the snap and E6000 which can cause heat so try to keep the glue away from the actual snap, I've not experienced it myself but doesn't hurt to be cautious ;) .

I've had this happen to me. Didn't clamp the snap, took care not to get E6000 on the metal... Must have missed something and now got a nice, snap-shaped imprint on one piece of armor :rolleyes:

Thankfully it isn't very noticeable, unless the lighting hits just right or you see it up close in person :laugh1:

Pz0chfe.jpeg

Not the best quality picture, but you can spot the slighter brighter (and raised, ouch) half-moon circle. Yay for heat-reactions and heat-bending...

Edited by Morgi
Added picture

E6000 causing heat when it touches metal? That’s interesting. I don’t think it heated up… Now I need to check!

I clamped the snap because it wanted to sit lopsided otherwise, but I did make sure the edges got more clamps…. Those are going to be more difficult to clamp in some areas, and magnets just wanted to all stick to the snap! 

• Like 1

Made my first snap straps, starting with white 2inch elastic for the shoulders.

EDIT- I folded the elastic over twice giving me 3 layers, the then glued the layers together before adding the holes.

WRncKDtl.jpg

Had a bit of help getting the size of the straps figured out. 
Not easy working on such areas alone without a mannequin…

But here they are. 
KR6VlWUl.jpg

Edited by Revvek
Added a missed nugget of info!
  • Like 1

Just a tip, if you have a soldering iron you can use that to make the holes, it will seal the edges and prevent the snaps pulling through. Or another option is dab some glue on the hole before adding the snap. Some may think it's overkill but I've had a couple pull through elastic in the early days. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Show progress for life reasons thee last several weeks have kind of sucked… 

But, it finally got the front snap points attached.

8EXrxkHl.jpg
urlLJBtl.jpg

I am considering options for strengthening the bridges. I know some glue more plastic in there, but I’m thinking of other options with a bit more flex. We will see…

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been hard to get anything done these last few weeks… 

my 17 year old cat Daisy died on Jan 9th. (Raised her from 5 weeks old)…

my mom died at the end of Jan…

and then my dad died end of Feb…

but I did get around to doing something more on my armor the other day.

I added elastic straps for holding the shoulder bridges down. 
this is how I did it.

aligned the ends

GpzjeOXl.jpg

stapled together

QTljxTol.jpg?1

added e6000
Zw6Koakl.jpg

heat shrunk over that

055t9I0l.jpg

and they work

gS7Kkzql.jpg

k0YpKoGl.jpg
UinnXBil.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started to do some cleaning on my bucket after pulling it all apart. 

plan to spray the inside with truck bed liner, before putting pads and fans back in…
(Not pictured) 

I also decided on how I was going to add structure to the shoulder bridges. 
Glueing white webbing to the underside.

ihKzArkl.jpg

side note

I present to you R2! 
He was finally publicly presentable a few weeks back!

58RbwALl.jpg

and I’m playing with how to hang buckets on my walls.

SKdcRXCm.jpg

Edited by Revvek
  • Like 2